Rave: Overtime

Rukh Whitefang

I love getting overtime. I average about 15 hours overtime each week. And thats been for the last 4 years. Its busy season at work and I will be ramping up to 20 (or more) hours of overtime a week. From now till February I will be working 6 days a week. I don't even remember what a 40 hour work week feels like anymore. I love the fact my work doesn't care how much time I work a day, 10,11, 13 hours, doesn't matter. That and we don't clock out for lunch or breaks. Although during busy season since I am lead in my area I often don't have time to eat a lunch which kinda sucks sometimes. Most of the time though I don't even realize I haven't ate because I am so busy.

I rarely turn down overtime...

But as a tangential thought, I called myself "lazy" last night for not getting a second, part time job. I'm already working 40.

What kind of society are we in where someone could call themselves lazy for not working more than 40 hours a week?

One in which real wages are largely stagnant while housing, medical care, and education rise in cost significantly faster than inflation. Increasing the hours worked per household is how you keep in the same place.

One in which real wages are largely stagnant while housing, medical care, and education rise in cost significantly faster than inflation. Increasing the hours worked per household is how you keep in the same place.

I was ranting about wages in my industry and how they're stagnant.

I got hired for a job making 12 an hour in 2005. I'm currently making 12 an hour in 2015.

$12 in 2005 dollars is $14.60 something in 2015 dollars. $12 today in 2015 dollars was $9.80 something in 2005. In terms of just inflation I'm making 2 dollars less an hour than I was 10 years ago.

Oh, and $12 an hour is about as much as you can expect from a non-supervisory position for unarmed guards, and I don't want an armed post.

Grumble. Grumble.