Do you think it's about time that we had an animation studio that focuses on the young adult crowd?

VGmaster9

For almost a century now, animated films have been branded as family or children's films. While there have been animated films for older audiences, they get nowhere near the same amount of recognition. Such films including Rock and Rule, Star Chaser: The Legend of Orin, Wizards, Fire and Ice, etc. I think it would be a good idea to finally have a major animation studio to make movies that aren't necessarily geared toward the family/children's crowd, and instead being geared towards young adults. In my opinion, Lionsgate would be the perfect company for such a studio, because they tend to be more "independent" apart from others, like Universal, Warner Bros, Sony, etc. Their movies can have animation quality you'd see in Disney, Pixar, and DreamWorks films, but what would really separate itself from those particular studios in the film's stories. In fact, they could actually do both 3d and 2d films (though the 2d films would have to be all done digitally, cause let's face it, technology has made hand drawn animation much easier to work with).

Laika

They did kubo and the two strings, paranorman, coraline, and the like

Not so much adolescent but definitely contained themes that most "childrens" animators wouldnt dare touch in their perfectly marketed films.

Most animes do, too. And the newer age of cartoons are following more suit in gearing towards older audiences. Adventure time, steven universe, regular show, and the like.

14 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Laika

They did kubo and the two strings, paranorman, coraline, and the like

Not so much adolescent but definitely contained themes that most "childrens" animators wouldnt dare touch in their perfectly marketed films.

Most animes do, too. And the newer age of cartoons are following more suit in gearing towards older audiences. Adventure time, steven universe, regular show, and the like.

It's nice that a stop-motion studio is doing, but I'm talking about a 2d and/or 3d studio.

Anime doesn't count, cause that's pretty much the norm in Japan. I'm talking about an American studio.

You'd be bound to get something like this.

Or this

• 2 weeks later...

DCAU is kinda hitting more mature themes than most, but sometimes I do question some of their moves.

Young Justice never really felt like a "kid's" cartoon but felt more like teen/adult crowd and in fact they attracted that more ...especially females...so much so the series was cancelled for it. Before you think ...what they cancelled something cuz girls were watching. the intended audience was for young boys to buy the action figures. So since they had all that stock in line and their viewership wasn't interested in it, they cancelled the show. Fortunately these days Funko Pop ( think a lot of people buy those items regardless of gender)...Netflix is around we can see more of this.

I don't know if established studios will be the ones doing more adult animation....(like I said DC is already kinda there with a lot of their direct to video animation) or we may end up with startup companies within places like Netflix or Amazon.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:57 AM, QT Melon said:

I don't know if established studios will be the ones doing more adult animation....(like I said DC is already kinda there with a lot of their direct to video animation) or we may end up with startup companies within places like Netflix or Amazon.

I think that would be a better idea. If it was done in an established studio then they would most likely face constant executive meddling.

Here is one good example.

And this