Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rukh Whitefang

My daily was totaled

5 posts in this topic

Its been 10 years since I was involved in a car accident and the other week I got rear ended on the highway while at a dead stop from traffic. I was driving my 99 Ford Explorer. Rear quarter/fender and bumper is smashed, was able to pull the fender off of the tire to drive it home. Definitely not worth fixing. Especially since the rear quarter is a discontinued part.

Fortunately I had just a week prior bought and old work truck from my employer (96 3/4 ton dodge ram 4wd) for dirt cheap ($900). Insurance totaled the Explorer out and wrote me a check for the worth of it. So, I'm now in the market for a good commuting car for gas mileage. The dodge will be my winter beater. I have to say the prices people have cars for sale is a bit ridicules. Most have over 200k miles and they still want nearly $3000. Or need major repairs. Just looked at a 2010 Chevy Impala that has 210k on it. List price was reasonable but after I starting doing a close inspection found the head gasket is leaking oil externally. Leaking bad enough that fresh oil is spraying onto the catalytic converter. Needs a set of tires. What really threw me off was how filthy the interior was. Just covered in debris. Selling a car 101- clean the inside of the car...

If I find another vehicle that will bring me up to 5 cars. Running low on room, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rukh Whitefang said:

I have to say the prices people have cars for sale is a bit ridicules. Most have over 200k miles and they still want nearly $3000. Or need major repairs.

You can blame "Cash for Clunkers" for this; it nuked the used car market.

THANKS, OBAMA.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to hear about this...I've been in several wrecks, and still dealing with one today that happened over a year ago when I was driving my classic, a restored black 1973 Buick Electra, 4-door. Was in incredible shape. Built the engine a second time, took it for a test drive around my block around 11pm...didn't come back. Some dipshit asshole (I'm about to sue him a second time, I'm milking him for every penny) ran a redlight at 60mph and t-boned my rear driver side quarter panel, fucked the entire car. Would require around 50-60 hours of work to cut, weld, and repaint to fix it. Not even mentioning the bent axle, snapped torsion bar, and ruined rear skirt piece. Was a horrible experience...
 

11907812_10206795261096295_7228504239775302543_o.jpg

20160202_162118.jpg

20160202_162103.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car wrecks suck. Sometimes you could hardly call them accidents at all. I can see why self-driving cars are becoming a thing. I enjoy driving, and I'm good at it, but the number of idiots is only increasing and it's a necessity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 3:43 PM, Raphial Hebert said:

I'm sorry to hear about this...I've been in several wrecks, and still dealing with one today that happened over a year ago when I was driving my classic, a restored black 1973 Buick Electra, 4-door. Was in incredible shape. Built the engine a second time, took it for a test drive around my block around 11pm...didn't come back. Some dipshit asshole (I'm about to sue him a second time, I'm milking him for every penny) ran a redlight at 60mph and t-boned my rear driver side quarter panel, fucked the entire car. Would require around 50-60 hours of work to cut, weld, and repaint to fix it. Not even mentioning the bent axle, snapped torsion bar, and ruined rear skirt piece. Was a horrible experience...

My classic cars have classic car insurance for this reason. Grundy is who I use.

On 9/13/2017 at 11:24 PM, Victor-933 said:

You can blame "Cash for Clunkers" for this; it nuked the used car market.

Cash for Clunkers hurt the used car market, but cash for clunkers was years ago (almost 10 now). When I had bought my Explorer in 2013 prices were lower. Just in the last 4 years prices have increased exponentially.

But as of today I have a replacement vehicle. Bought it from the parts yard with a clear title. I now own a 2006 Impala with the 3.5 v6. It got side swiped on the LR quarter and scuffed the paint up. Thats it. No other damage. Has 145k miles and everything works. Paid 2k for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.