Them's Fightin' Herds' story mode delayed due to "real life issues"

VGmaster9

16 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Eh, its all right

People don't usually play fighting games for the story anyways. This game looks and sounds amazing. I'm sure it'll live without the story mode.

Maybe some people will enjoy it for what it does have, but you need to look at the long term ramifications. I have no doubt that tons of people (including myself) were interested in the game for its story, so that they can get to know the characters. Now with that gone without a date in sight, people are going to stop caring and not bother buying the game, eventually hurting its sales. People want a good first impression of the game, and right now it's not at a very swell start. It doesn't help that the game has had very little publicity and interaction with fans. Hell, a lot of people had already forgotten that it was still in development.

I'll pay attention to the reviews so I can feel convinced that it will be worth getting.

3 hours ago, VGmaster9 said:

Maybe some people will enjoy it for what it does have, but you need to look at the long term ramifications. I have no doubt that tons of people (including myself) were interested in the game for its story, so that they can get to know the characters. Now with that gone without a date in sight, people are going to stop caring and not bother buying the game, eventually hurting its sales. People want a good first impression of the game, and right now it's not at a very swell start. It doesn't help that the game has had very little publicity and interaction with fans. Hell, a lot of people had already forgotten that it was still in development.

I'll pay attention to the reviews so I can feel convinced that it will be worth getting.

This actually couldn't be more of the exact opposite. lmao

Game is GREAT

Though a tad buggy (Borderless Windowed doesn't work properly), and I need to get used to the fact that the A button does not attack but does special things. I keep accidentally trying to use it.

I love playing Oleander though, and her stage's music is wonderful.

4 hours ago, VGmaster9 said:

Its disappointing but its not like they're cancelling the story mode. Just postponing it. Even the main menu says its coming soon to remind people who might start it that it will eventually come, so those who might be disappointed will know that its not dead, just postponed.

You can still kinda get a feel for who these characters are through their designs and quotes during battle to be fair. Like Oleander is obviously SERIOUS BUSINESS.

3 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

This actually couldn't be more of the exact opposite. lmao

2 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Game is GREAT

Though a tad buggy (Borderless Windowed doesn't work properly), and I need to get used to the fact that the A button does not attack but does special things. I keep accidentally trying to use it.

I love playing Oleander though, and her stage's music is wonderful.

Its disappointing but its not like they're cancelling the story mode. Just postponing it. Even the main menu says its coming soon to remind people who might start it that it will eventually come, so those who might be disappointed will know that its not dead, just postponed.

You can still kinda get a feel for who these characters are through their designs and quotes during battle to be fair. Like Oleander is obviously SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Ok maybe I'm being proven wrong, but I'm still going to watch for reviews from critics.

Also, they couldn't even put out a free demo?

EDIT: And yeah, they really need to get hoppin' on the bug issue.

I could live without a story mode - they usually suck in fighting games anyway, even for big-budget titles like 'Injustice'. What's currently preventing me from buying is the reportedly short roster of characters - only six, is it? I know more are being planned, but as yet no details have been given as to how many, how soon, or whether they will be paid or free DLC, so for the time being I'm keeping my money for genres of game that I'm more likely to enjoy playing.

1 hour ago, Faust said:

I could live without a story mode - they usually suck in fighting games anyway, even for big-budget titles like 'Injustice'. What's currently preventing me from buying is the reportedly short roster of characters - only six, is it? I know more are being planned, but as yet no details have been given as to how many, how soon, or whether they will be paid or free DLC, so for the time being I'm keeping my money for genres of game that I'm more likely to enjoy playing.

Fighting game characters are really really hard to make/balance and even harder with a smaller team making a riskier project. I can't blame anyone for making a roster that short and sweet. 6-8 unique characters that work for a little indie fighter ain't too bad when the focus is to be competitive. Skullgirls and Rivals of Aether were pretty successful. How much is this game, again? $20?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Fighting game characters are really really hard to make/balance and even harder with a smaller team making a riskier project. I can't blame anyone for making a roster that short and sweet. 6-8 unique characters that work for a little indie fighter ain't too bad when the focus is to be competitive. Skullgirls and Rivals of Aether were pretty successful. How much is this game, again? $20?

Yeah I'm not expecting a roster as long as Injustice. Games like Skullgirls are the benchmark here, and it had 9 not including DLC I think? The price point is fine I guess for what you get, although I have to say that the rise of freemium gaming has left me jaded to the practice of issuing most of the content as DLC. I'm also being increasingly wary of early-access.

In a one-on-one fighter there's generally no room for variety without extending the roster, and I love me some variety.

7 hours ago, Faust said:

9 not including DLC I think

Skullgirls had 8 characters on release (Filia, Cerebella, Peacock, Valentine, Parasoul, Ms. Fortune, Painwheel, and Double).

I'll admit the roster is a bit short, although if variety is what you're looking for, if it means anything, every stage in Them's Fightin' Herds has 7 different renditions. One of the things the devs were pushing for is for the game to have dynamic music, so as a result, depending on who's winning the fight at the moment and beating up the other, the stage theme will change slightly to suit that particular character's theme. 

For example, this is Sunset Prarie if Paprika is winning the fight, and this is Sunset Prarie if Oleander is winning the fight. The theme also changes in the last round to give the music a feeling of finality. So there's variety to be had via the game's soundtrack at least, and I think that alone shows a lot of effort. I mean, that basically makes the soundtrack like 42 tracks long not including the training stage or the predator encounters on the pixel lobby. 

And that's another thing; the pixel lobby is kind of unique and has its own little easter eggs/challenges in trying to survive the predators whilst finding treasure chests containing new outfits and accessories. I know its not a totally new thing, but how many fighters have their own interactable lobbies that you can move around and see other players running around in?

I'm still not entirely swayed, although I did notice a similar styled game (Rivals of Aether) is in this month's Humble Bundle (the Humble Brawler Bundle) - it's more a Smash Brothers Melee game, but that too has six characters.

Also, there's a 25% discount code for Them's Fighting Herds with the bundle, which definitely makes it worth the entry fee, so if I decide to get that bundle I might splash out on TFH as well.

- F

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 10:32 AM, Faust said:

I'm still not entirely swayed, although I did notice a similar styled game (Rivals of Aether) is in this month's Humble Bundle (the Humble Brawler Bundle) - it's more a Smash Brothers Melee game, but that too has six characters.

Also, there's a 25% discount code for Them's Fighting Herds with the bundle, which definitely makes it worth the entry fee, so if I decide to get that bundle I might splash out on TFH as well.

- F

Late, but Rivals of Aether has 8 default characters as a $15 game. It had 6 when it was in early access. The 5 additional post launch DLC characters (including Ori as a guest character) are another $15 total.

3 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Late, but Rivals of Aether has 8 default characters as a $15 game. It had 6 when it was in early access. The 5 additional post launch DLC characters (including Ori as a guest character) are another $15 total.

That's good, I think it must still have been early access back when I posted. That or they had an outdated advert video on the website.

9 hours ago, Faust said:

That's good, I think it must still have been early access back when I posted. That or they had an outdated advert video on the website.

Probably. Etalus and Absa were the game for the last.....year? I believe. Now the thing is that the story mode only revolves around those 6 launch characters which my also confuse folks. Not sure why they did that.
But the game isn't guaranteed to stop development anytime soon. They still change stuff (Wrastor got a new nair about 3 weeks ago). I think they also said something about a second guest character and most people are speculating it to be Hollow Knight, which sounds likely but nothing's been said about it yet.