Shantae

Tsuujou

Shantae's been getting decently popular over the last few years. I gave WayForward $60 for their kickstarter. Although truth be told, I don't really find these games super amazing. They've only ever been average to me outside of WayForward's iconic and stupendous sprite work. I'm about done Shantae 3 and I can't say it's been too memorable..or long. They're not bad games by any stretch, I just feel that WayForward hasn't topped Contra 4, but that's just me (and it would be a feat anyway because that was the best damn Contra/run-n-gun/DS game I ever fucking played). I feel like Shantae 4 is going to be stellar though. I don't really have much fear that I over paid especially considering the stretch goals and decent backer rewards. But even if I did give more than necessary, I love WayForward enough to not regret it anyway. Good bunch of humble, fun, quality, wonderfully perverted game devs.

And speaking of perverted: How in the shitting mother of fuck do these games escape with an E rating? I'd expect at least T. Look at this:

Squidsmith.thumb.gif.5231bade5d4ed86afcd6fd8eca36dbabf12ff8f6dcd42b0808a.thumb.p

8b8c8610f0ee4f20819a2994f9e8c169.thumb.p

^That is a demonic lesbian slime girl orgy in a kid's platformer...

I've tried the GBC Shantae and Risky's Revenge, and while I like the artwork and music (man the artwork is sexy. Especially character portraits), I've constantly found combat to be really stiff. As a platformer its not fast enough for me, and as a sidescrolling action game I don't like how Shantae's hair attack works. It feels to slow and limited. Come to think of it, it kind of reminds me of how attacking with the ball and chain in the original NES Castlevania worked, only the range doesn't vary (to my knowledge). I admittedly haven't played them much though, and I've only played Risky's Revenge on a crappy laptop where it had lag at parts, so maybe its better than I'm making it out to be. But so far I don't care for the games, as much as I want to like them.

But like I said, I welcome their continued releases, if only so we get more sexy Shantae and Risky art.

Shantae's hair speed can be upgraded rather soon in the game. Eventually you can upgrade it to be like a Jakobs gun: "fire as fast as you can pull the trigger". Just buy silky hair cream (and shampoo for attack). The first up in speed makes things much better. 

is big ol bubbies :^)

I feel like a demonic lesbian slime girl orgy is less traumatizing than some of the stuff they put in children's programming. I think there was a thread about that... maybe it was in the old forums.

Oh it's not traumatizing at all. It's HOT as all fucking Hell. Typically, I roll my eyes at slime chicks. I guess the demented look to them is appealing to me.