3DS Weird...Thing

Ratmomma

So I don't even know what to call this, because I've never had it happen to me.

I was playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire last night, and then out of nowhere, my 3DS blackscreen'd and said there was an error, and to hold down the power button until the system shut off, and then to try turning it back on. When I turned it back on, my theme reset to the default, and all but one of my downloaded games were missing. I have no idea.

I resumed playing AS to make sure the data wasn't screwed (which it was not, thank goodness). Then I went back to the main menu, same default theme and missing games. I shut off the DS, turned it back on, same crap. Resumed playing AS, then stopped for the night. I returned to the main menu, and it was... BACK TO NORMAL. Missing games returned. I had to pick my theme color again, but everything appeared on the main menu again.

Has anyone had this happen? What even happened?

I've not seen that before, but possibly a file system corruption that the embedded OS corrected after the reboot?

O_O does that happen on handheld systems a lot? I just put an SD card into it that was sitting in my DSi a couple days about...would that have anything to do with it? I took image files off of it and tossed them onto my laptop.. did I screw over my 3DS? O.o

It doesn't seem like they're uncommon. It can be a standard system error, or hardware related. If it persists, you can contact Nintendo about it and see if they know more about the problem. 

O_O does that happen on handheld systems a lot? I just put an SD card into it that was sitting in my DSi a couple days about...would that have anything to do with it? I took image files off of it and tossed them onto my laptop.. did I screw over my 3DS? O.o

It's possible some dust got caught between the card and the slot when you pushed it in, or perhaps it was knocked slightly loose. Removing or adding image files shouldn't have any impact on it.

• Like 1

I've had my 3D blackscreen and freeze for several minutes a couple of times before, but it always returns to normal after that. Maybe it needed time to reboot itself properly after the error during the night or something? I dunno. 

I'd say maybe just leave it for now because it didn't damage any of your files, but if it happens again definitely try and contact Nintendo to get some help with it.

• Like 1

I never had an SD card in it before..only when I took it from my DSi and stuck it into the 3DS. Maybe it hiccuped because of that?

Could be. You should check if the sd card is loose or not or properly inserted. It doesn't usually become an issue unless ye opened the sd card slot before. At least in my experience. Could also be a problem with using microsD cards with sd card adapter. If ye have one of those

• Like 1