Video cards: You are in a maze of twisty model numbers, all alike (because they are nothing alike)

Ginpanther

I got out of the PC hardware race several years ago (see AshleyAshes's rant that "If it's not new it sucks" which covers a number of reasons why I haven't felt the need to upgrade in years). Things have certainly changed across the board, but the area where the most drastic change has occurred is in the video card arena. What used to be hot, like an NVidia 7800GTX, is now vastly overpowered by modern cards - this I expect. That the model of the new hotness is GT680? That I did not expect. What happened to incrementing model numbers?  I feel like somewhere we hit an integer limit and everything rolled over or got scrambled.

So while I sort all this out by reading ten or twenty articles at Tom's Hardware, I thought I'd share this old gag that summarizes how I feel right now....

PC Hardware is "Toast"

• Like 1

The problem with incremental numbers is that with so many GPUs coming out they'd just keep counting and counting.  The new Radeon 10 Million will be reviewed against it's competator, the nVidia GeForce 7.8 × 10

Eventually, I imagine they'll start re-using old ones. Perhaps they'll append a letter to it, or create a new series entirely. Perhaps we'll see GTX 280A in 2018. 

I think at least Nvidias and Intels name schemes are OK and even pretty similar. Aside from Intels Y,U,P,S,M,K (you useless pudge suck my... kock?) shit.
Both begin with the series/generation of the chip used followed by its model number:

GTX 680 is an 6th gen card and faster than the 670 but slower than the 690. Pretty much the same applies for Intel.
Exemptions for mobile chips whose naming scheme is total crap (there are 800M series with fermi, kepler and maxwell architectures).

The big problem being judging performance over different generations:

GTX470 < 560Ti < GTX480 < GTX570 < GTX750Ti < GTX580 < GTX760 < GTX660Ti...

But that's what benchmarks are for... so there's that.

• Like 1

Eventually, I imagine they'll start re-using old ones. Perhaps they'll append a letter to it, or create a new series entirely. Perhaps we'll see GTX 280A in 2018. 

Or maybe they'll put 'ti' on the end... :v

Edited by Zytan
Bah, saw Luccus beat me to it