Best Budget Track Car?

Sauvignon

I'm talking about budget, track, and car. These three things are difficult to combine. I'm looking at a budget of <$5000 for a car that will take a beating on a road course, and still be driven home. That includes necessary brake and suspension upgrades, a second set of wheels/tires, and safety equipment (no roll cage, though).

I am considering an E30 BMW, first gen RX7, or a crappy SN95 Mustang. I need to buy a car soon, because it will take several months to make it track ready.

older mustang will save you money in the long run, parts are usually plenty and cheap. they are popular so can probably snatch needed parts from a junkyard.  not to mention every one I've worked on was relatively simple

rotaries are unreliable, avoid.  (muh apex seals)

Europeans are too expensive to maintain at this level, expecailly BMW,   what to do the work youself? my find yourself needing some specialty tools, and a crap ton of free time. I find Europeans to be unnecessarily complicated build wise

AutoX gets left and right turns, and we get to take up entire abandoned airfields for our courses. And if you hit a cone, you are penalized time. :3

You have too many tails. I love autox, and I will do it on occasion, but I want to focus on high speed tracks.

older mustang will save you money in the long run, parts are usually plenty and cheap. they are popular so can probably snatch needed parts from a junkyard.  not to mention every one I've worked on was relatively simple

rotaries are unreliable, avoid.  (muh apex seals)

Europeans are too expensive to maintain at this level, expecailly BMW,   what to do the work youself? my find yourself needing some specialty tools, and a crap ton of free time. I find Europeans to be unnecessarily complicated build wise

I am not scared of Europeans. I will do all work myself, buy special tools, and whatever. Parts cars are great for oddball hard to find items, and i have room to park one in the back yard.

• 1 year later...

Something American or a Honda...
If you're willing to put in some work.........I'd say a Fiero is a good choice. They're dirt cheap, parts are cheap, and are fast little cars, especially if you engine swap them. There are hundreds of different engine swaps you can do with them...a lot of them within your budget.