Any Advice on Video Editing Software?

Zydala

So I have a YouTube where I put up videos of timelapse drawings. So far I have used a Logitech c920 camera  and Windows Movie Maker, but I just upgraded my camera and thought heck why not get something more substantial as far as editing software too?

Mostly I'm looking for something to edit the color balance of the movies if possible, saturation and all that. I'm playing around with an Adobe Premiere trial and it seems to be a bit more than what I need since I won't be doing complex editing, but is that sort of what I'm going to find? Am I going to have to pay $$$ for the tools I want, or is there a program that's a little less money and a bit more simple but still has the finer color balancing features?

Anyway this is just a shot in the dark to see if people have opinions on the subject. Thanks! C:

Well I really have no idea if it's best for what you're looking for, but you could check out Lightworks. It's a fully professional video editor (Martin Scorsese has used it), and it has free and paid tiers. The free version lets you do pretty much anything, while just restricting you to 720p (or less) MPEG-4 output. It's pretty damn powerful, but there's a fair bit of a learning curve and it seems a bit touchy from my experience... But hey, it's free! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ves said:

I've been using Sony Vegas for several years, and I believe older versions are free now. At least that's what a friend told me

I seriously doubt that.

As for free solutions

There is the excellent Lightworks for editing and Blackmagic Fusion for compositing

6 hours ago, Maug said:

I seriously doubt that.

As for free solutions

There is the excellent Lightworks for editing and Blackmagic Fusion for compositing

Yeah, Vegas is like $400 so giving away any version sounds absurd. Personally haven't seen anything official, all I know is that friend has it, he said it's legally free now, and he's open about piracy. 

Also +1 for Lightworks 

I recently discovered Blender. Yes, the 3D animation software. It can do video editing too, which totally surprised me! Its UI is much more intuitive to me than that of Lightworks. I didn't go in the details yet but I really liked the way the basic controls work.

I couldn't get Lightworks to export a usable video file. As of Blender I'll have to test it.

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

I recently discovered Blender. Yes, the 3D animation software. It can do video editing too, which totally surprised me! Its UI is much more intuitive to me than that of Lightworks. I didn't go in the details yet but I really liked the way the basic controls work.

I couldn't get Lightworks to export a usable video file. As of Blender I'll have to test it.

I wouldn't get to comfortable with the video editor, Blender is considering getting rid of it along with the game engine part. they probably wont though

http://code.blender.org/2015/11/the-2-8-project-for-developers/