Repair or Buy?

Vallium

My keyboard still doesnt work...should I get it repaired, or go the cheap route and buy a new with a USB attachment and use it that way.seems ghetto as all heck, but it'll do.

Also, my laptop hasnt been connecting to most wifis, this worries me as its essentially my main reason to use it and without that feature is essentially useless.

I got the keyboard I am using wireless Logiteh on Amazon, it's easier to buy a new one.
The technology is designed to be tossed

Link: http://amzn.com/B004ZKXXAK

Is the cheapest Logitech they have right not, you can probably find cheaper tho

Oh and for Wifi,
http://amzn.com/B008IFXQFU

Edited by Charrio

...It's a KEYBOARD.  Unless it's some how very special, you can buy a new one, probably even the same model, for not much money.

The Wifi issue would deserve it's on thread however, as that might be solvable.

I think the wifi and keyboard are both on the same laptop. It's a tiny bit harder and clunkier to replace a laptop keyboard than it is for a normal one :P 

I think the wifi and keyboard are both on the same laptop. It's a tiny bit harder and clunkier to replace a laptop keyboard than it is for a normal one :P 

Ohhh!  A LAPTOP keyboard.  Well, the answer is 'yes' then.  Fix it.  Fix it by replacing it.  I just replaced the keyboard on my four year old laptop for a brand new part, and I got it on eBay for $19.99 USD, including shipping.

What model of laptop is it?  A replacement part is likely easy to source.

Edited by AshleyAshes

Even if you go cheapskate on-brand, you're looking at about $45 or less.

If you're very mechanically inclined, you can save on labor by replacing the keyboard yourself.  Look for the service manual on the Web (it should be either a set of Web pages or a PDF on the vendor's support site*) and read it.  Usually, it's removing a bezel between the keyboard and hinge, removing a few screws, and lifting up a ribbon connector hinge just under the keyboard.  However, they're all small and fragile parts, moreso than desktop parts, which is why you need to be very mechanically inclined to do it.

*Edit: Don't trust links to ANY site but the laptop maker's!

Edited by ArielMT

Even if you go cheapskate on-brand, you're looking at about $45 or less.

If you're very mechanically inclined, you can save on labor by replacing the keyboard yourself.  Look for the service manual on the Web (it should be either a set of Web pages or a PDF on the vendor's support site*) and read it.  Usually, it's removing a bezel between the keyboard and hinge, removing a few screws, and lifting up a ribbon connector hinge just under the keyboard.  However, they're all small and fragile parts, moreso than desktop parts, which is why you need to be very mechanically inclined to do it.

*Edit: Don't trust links to ANY site but the laptop maker's!

This really depends on the model.  On my Acer and the dozen or so that are compatible, the keyboard can be snapped out without removing any other components than the battery. (Which is more a safety consideration).

Also, what's wrong with other sites other than the manufacturer?  There are HUGE markets online for aftermarket and refurbished parts from older machines.  You mostly just need to ensure you get the same replacement part.

Edited by AshleyAshes

I'd say it depends on the laptop and how easy it would be to obtain the parts required and fix it yourself. I'm guessing this is a continuation from a FAF thread because you said "still not working"? I missed that, so I don't know what exactly you're working with here. You can always look into it and then decide once you've gotten all the info yourself.

As for the wifi being a jerk, might it just be the adapter being stubborn? Have you tried resetting the adapter via the troubleshooter after a connect fails? My laptop is a jerk whenever I bring it out of sleep mode and refuses to connect to anything until I've hit that troubleshoot button and it resets the adapter. Of course, if your machine is old then you're probably dealing with failing equipment and, if you don't go for the replace option because of the keyboard issue, you could do as suggested above and get an external wifi adapter. I use one on my desktop currently and it's reliable, never had issues that weren't internet related. Again, I dunno what you've got, so just throwing out ideas.

. . Ohhh!  A LAPTOP keyboard.  Well, the answer is 'yes' then.  Fix it.  Fix it by replacing it.  I just replaced the keyboard on my four year old laptop for a brand new part, and I got it on eBay for $19.99 USD, including shipping.

What model of laptop is it?  A replacement part is likely easy to source.

Dell inspiron I believe so I suppose I can look online and see if I can pull out the keyboard from the laptop. However, I am not too mechanically inclined which is why for something like that should be done professionally I suppose. I think the cheaper alternative may just be to buy a desktop keyboard

Get a desktop computer, you scrub. :V

But yeah, it's always good to do computer maintenance yourself. Just be sure you know what you are doing before disassembling your computer.

i move around too much and dont have the space for something like that...wouldnt want to in my current living situation anyways. I would consider it another time, as laptops damage and get old too easy.

You'll need to supply more information than 'Dell Inspiron', that's the title of a range of laptops that have multiple versions at any given time and goes back about two decades.  It's about as specific as "Chevy Sedan'. :P

The model number should be printed on it somewhere, if you can get it for us, we can help you out more.

Also, what's wrong with other sites other than the manufacturer?  There are HUGE markets online for aftermarket and refurbished parts from older machines.  You mostly just need to ensure you get the same replacement part.

For parts, as long as the seller has a decent reputation, absolutely nothing is wrong.

For manual downloads, especially those already offered for free by the manufacturer if you just knew where to look (a sad lament of mine), they strike me as having the rep of "buy our free and/or plagiarized ebooks" sites.

Oh, a Dell!  My favorite after-market parts vendor is parts-people.com. I can't speak for their labor, but their parts are exactly as described and they ship reasonably quickly.