#WTFU

Ratmomma

Alright, I looked around different sections of the boards and didn't see a thread like this, so if one has popped up in the time I've taken to write this shit, don't spear me.

Anyone that frequents Youtube channels that don't feature our feline overlords has seen the shit going on with Youtube right now: the alarming rate at which unlawful copyright claims by trolls, fine brothers large Youtube content creators, and Hollywood studios (or wannabes like Daddy Derek), etc; you get the picture. Fair Use isn't being respected, companies aren't abiding by laws which state they must consider Fair Use before issuing a takedown notice/copyright claim upon someone's content.

Another point being brought up, thanks to cucks like Jinx, are reaction videos and channels, specifically those who, in their video, feature the video they're reacting to in its entirety. The video is in the corner of the video, playing unedited, while the reactor just sits there and watches it. One can argue that it's protected by Fair Use, but I don't see it. There's no commentary, no criticism, no educational purpose, nothing. Any of those qualifying factors for Fair Use are not present; I'm staring RIGHT AT YOU, Jinx and Rashad.

DISCUSS

Historically speaking, YouTube has always been nothing short of abysmal when it comes to stuff like fair use and copyright and considering how badly a takedown strike can fuck up a channel, it's unacceptable.

Like if can get something taken down despite not having the rights to anything, there's an issue. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Like if can get something taken down despite not having the rights to anything, there's an issue.

Not even that, It's also that you really don't have to try very hard at all to claim on videos. Most of the system is automated to such a degree anyone who wants to say pull all footage of a crappy game they released can do it all in minutes.

Oh yeah and you have to take a shitty course on fair use after getting a strike on your channel.

Edited by Liovaire
Wording
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Liovaire said:

Not even that, It's also that you really don't have to try very hard at all to claim on videos. Most of the system is automated to such a degree anyone who wants to say pull all footage of a crappy game they released can do it all in minutes.

Oh yeah and you have to take a shitty course on fair use after getting a strike on your channel.

Also you have watch this not-at-all patronizing video I think. Oh Happy Tree Friends, you were the shit back in like middle school.

1 hour ago, Liovaire said:

I'm waiting for the day I find a message in my email stating that someone issued a claim on one of my videos, even though the overwhelming majority of the shit I have uploaded are just home videos and talking on and on about my animals.

OI, THIS IS MUH VIDEO THAT T-SHIT YER WEARIN IS © BROWN_NOSE_69 FUQ U I'M FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS

1 hour ago, kazooie said:

the TPP is gonna enact even more restrictive copyright laws, so that's going to be fun

inb4 SOPA is necro'd to suck its cock.

9 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Am I the only one that's glad "Boogie" finally dropped his retard shtick?

He had a schtick? 

9 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

I'm sure that is an opinion that you uniquely hold, yes.

You are CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED TO MAKE AT LEAST ONE SHIT POST IN ALL MY THREADS

YOU DUN GOOFED AND DIDN'T POOP ON THIS THREAD YET

8 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Stopped taking you seriously right there.

What baffles me is why content creators give up on their own independent websites so quickly that they're always several months behind in content (see: JonTron on Normalboots.com) if not outright dead.

Threads on this site shouldn't be taken too seriously in the first place.

I think they flee their own websites to ones like youtube because those are massive sites with a built in audience already there, so all they have to do is start uploading and tagging. Sooner or later, people go to X channel and boom: followers. Independent sites can't generate that much traffic, so they'll latch onto the huge ones for some traffic.

And all that bandwidth on Youtube that you don't have to pay for, and no maintenance or site bills (if you own the site and don't just go the .wix or .weebly route like most people)

Edited by Ratmomma

4 minutes ago, Ratmomma said:

Threads on this site shouldn't be taken too seriously in the first place.

I'm sorry to hear that you also hold that opinion.

I don't disagree with people saying Youtube has gone to shit, it's been that way since it was bought out, but ultimately it's someone else's house and I'd really like to see entertainers stop feeding what it's become. I much prefer JonTron on his own website, at least there I'm willing to enable ads since they actually help him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

I'm sorry to hear that you also hold that opinion.

I don't disagree with people saying Youtube has gone to shit, it's been that way since it was bought out, but ultimately it's someone else's house and I'd really like to see entertainers stop feeding what it's become. I much prefer JonTron on his own website, at least there I'm willing to enable ads since they actually help him.

Youtube has always had it's issues, but I think that the past year things have noticeably gotten ridiculous. I'd like to see something change for the better, or a rival to come out of the shadows that can compete with Youtube (Vimeo is so far away they can't even see the other side). 

I also share your wish for entertainers to use their own sites. I will NOT turn off my adblock extensions and a couple of other blockers on Youtube. I will, however, whitelist the websites of the entertainers themselves. I feel bad enabling my blockers on Youtube, but at the same time I won't tolerate any of the ads on their site. It's not worth the frustration, and it just turns itself into cable TV: nothing but ads EVERYWHERE. 

So yes... I sincerely wish personal sites were more the norm, but the current trend is to latch onto Youtube and the like. At least you can do whatever you want on your own website (provided it follows your host's rules, I suppose...like GoDaddy).

I just noticed that you've got the Mod title under your name :o You're a new face to me (or an old one I've forgotten over the course of a small hiatus), so congratulations on receiving the spot!

Edited by Ratmomma

I also think the reason why personal sites aren't more of a thing because it would ultimately hurt creators more than help them. Youtube enables you to find people based on what you already watch or who you follow but that would be so much harder to do with independent sites.

• Like 2