Rant: This new lightbulb sucks! + Incompetente clerks

Käpt'n

So last Thursday my the main lightbulb in my... I dunno what to call it, office I guess, broke. Only today I had the time to get a new one.

During my lunch break I went to a store in the neighborhood. I asked the womb-man who works there for a bright daylight bulb. I like that kind of light because it makes working on photos easier and it's not piss yellow. I also print my photos at home with a bigass A3+ printer, under the wrong light the photos look awful. Under ambient lightbulbs they look too yellow for example.

So she recommends an LED bulb, tells me that it has a nice warm white light and that it is bright, too.
"Warm white?" I ask her. "Yes, but it is still white." She told me. Alright then. She works here, she knows what she is talking about!

Oh boy...

I just unpacked the bulb and took a closer loot at it... Fucking 3000 Kelvin! The whole room looks like the walls are covered with piss! Sure, it's pretty easy on the eyes and it makes for a pretty comfortable atmosphere, but this is not what I asked for. In retrospect I should have taken a closer look in the store but I was in a hurry, so I trusted what she told me.
Oh and guess what, all my prints look awful now as well and I hate it. I want my prints to look good, that's why I wanted white light to begin with. The effect on my monitor seems to be small as it is backlit anyway so at least I can still edit my shots, but damn...

I should have been cautious with her anyway. When I explained to her what I needed she had the most perplexed expression ever. Like she didn't even know that there are lightbulbs for different situations.

Looks like I'll have to hunt for daylight bulbs this weekend and hopefully not blow another 20 bucks on one that covers everything I own with piss for me... .__.

You know, I sell smartphones and mobile contracts. People expect me to know what I'm talking about. When I go to a store it's the same, I expect them to know about the stuff they are selling. So when I ask you for a lightbulb that makes white light please, for the love of what ever you believe in... Don't recommend one that makes yellow light! XP

43 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Do not get a Daylight white LED.You get a horrible green boost. 90+ CRI cool white (5600-6500K) or go back to daylight white incandescent.

Thanks! I haven't used LED bulbs yet so this is really helpful :)
I was aiming for something between 5600 and 6500k, and if I could get one I would gladly take an incandescent bulb.
And truthfully I would be perfectly fine with it if the light was just a tiny bit warmer. That's how I handle the white balance with my photos as well! But this bulb is just ridiculous...

39 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

So you took the advice of someone working minimum wage and they didn't know what they were talking about?

Ha!

Pretty much :V

~5000K is pretty much as white as it can get.

Many light sources are now classified with a 3-digit code identifying the colour temperature and the CRI. What you bought was probably a /830 bulb. In your case you'd look for a /950 bulb. I'm not sure if they're available as screw-in lamps though. Such high-quality light sources are mostly made in plug-in CFLs or linear tubes. But they're certainly worth the money.

7 minutes ago, Jerry said:

~5000K is pretty much as white as it can get.

Many light sources are now classified with a 3-digit code identifying the colour temperature and the CRI. What you bought was probably a /830 bulb. In your case you'd look for a /950 bulb. I'm not sure if they're available as screw-in lamps though. Such high-quality light sources are mostly made in plug-in CFLs or linear tubes. But they're certainly worth the money.

I don't need ultra high quality stuff, I'm not running a studio. I just want the light not to be piss yellow... Even a cheap bulb can do that! She could have just said "We don't have that" instead of handing me one that does the exact opposite of what I wanted XP

I think I'm just gonna buy a daylight CFL like the one I had before... It's light had pretty much the exact temperature that I wanted. Until then everything will remain piss-colored.

43 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

I don't need ultra high quality stuff, I'm not running a studio. I just want the light not to be piss yellow... Even a cheap bulb can do that! She could have just said "We don't have that" instead of handing me one that does the exact opposite of what I wanted XP

I think I'm just gonna buy a daylight CFL like the one I had before... It's light had pretty much the exact temperature that I wanted. Until then everything will remain piss-colored.

That's a good alternative. I love daylight lighting for work areas too. They're dimmer on paper yet the better colour rendering seems to make everything so much brighter LOL.

10 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

I'm no light bulb honcho, so I'm definitely missing something...

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that doesn't mean that you have a light that is operating at 2727 degrees Celsius, because that would be crazy.

It's a measure of the "colour" of a white light source. It's not its colour per se, but in theory it represents the temperature a light-emitting body would need to reach to give a certain tint of light by incandescence.

Technically in an incandescent light bulb, which is traditionally a ~2700K light source, the tungsten filament DOES run at around 2700°K.

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 2

Jerry and 6Tails have it right, Wrecker. As fascinating a subject it is, I hate dealing with Color Temperature! Certain Global Illumination techniques in 3D scenes are dependent on it because they are built to be physically accurate, but it is a real pain to work around when you want something artistic that happens to have common shared features provided only by these systems. In my case: photon-tracing compatible luminescence but with unrealistic colors.

Edited by DrGravitas
Added missibg word

16 hours ago, Wrecker said:

I'm no light bulb honcho, so I'm definitely missing something...

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that doesn't mean that you have a light that is operating at 2727 degrees Celsius, because that would be crazy.

Pretty much what the others said. Generally speaking, the hotter something is the more the light it emits shifts from red to blue. That is because the light becomes more energetic as well! It starts with weak infrared light, then it goes into the visible spectrum and so on.
Naturally a 6500 Kelvin LED bulb isn't actually that hot. And incandescent lightbulbs only exist up to about 3000K. 6500K are hotter than the surface of the sun afterall :) It's really just a scale to compare color temperatures.

5 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

6500k makes my brain hurt...

Not a big fan of daylight, eh? ;D
It really depends on the bulb for me. I Like it when they are just below 6500K with just a hint of yellow. Also, I don't get the brightest ones available. Instantly going from zero light to sunlight at noon just after waking up is NOT fun...

Edited by Käpt'n