Complaining Is Terrible for You, According to Science

Rassah

Link: http://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/complaining-rewires-your-brain-for-negativity-science-says.html

Basically, complaining rewires your brain for negativity. The more you do it, the easier it will be for your brain to fire off negative thought synapses. And that in turn leads to other physiological issues, including health problems.

Reading this, you're probably already thinking of some of our resident forum members already. But what I'm wondering is, doesn't this have the same effect on artists and types of art? Like, if you have negative thoughts and/or draw dark type of art, wouldn't that affect what kind of other art you would tend to make? Wonder if anyone has any experience, or noticed that about artists they may like.

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I wouldn't say complaining is terrible for you, since you can complain and not be very negative about it. I feel that the article should be renamed as being "negative all the time is bad for you" since it is somewhat misleading. 

So long as we're throwing out junk science articles <;

Theres been research that shows that pessimists tend to live longer than optimists.

I think the trick to maintain a balance between them both is to simply not let things bother you. Expect the worst, so that you're always pleasantly surprised when things don't turn sour; but are prepared if they do. Don't cling to pain. Don't expect happiness. Don't fear loss. Accept reality as it is. Enjoy the good. Endure the bad. Don't make a big deal out of anything.

Worrying. Dwelling on negative thoughts. That's what really brings your health down.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I wouldn't say complaining is terrible for you, since you can complain and not be very negative about it. I feel that the article should be renamed as being "negative all the time is bad for you" since it is somewhat misleading. 

Well, personally I'm an optimist and tend to hang out with other optimist entrepreneur types, so for us instead of complaining about negatives, we just look at them as "shit that needs to be done," or even challenges to be solved in a way that will improve things for others (and maybe with an idea that makes money).

So maybe the difference is just complaining publicly and not doing anything about it vs complaining internally and using it as motivation to do stuff.

1 hour ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

So long as we're throwing out junk science articles <;

Theres been research that shows that pessimists tend to live longer than optimists.

I think the trick to maintain a balance between them both is to simply not let things bother you. Expect the worst, so that you're always pleasantly surprised when things don't turn sour; but are prepared if they do. Don't cling to pain. Don't expect happiness. Don't fear loss. Accept reality as it is. Enjoy the good. Endure the bad. Don't make a big deal out of anything.

Worrying. Dwelling on negative thoughts. That's what really brings your health down.

Pretty much.