Mass Post Deletions / Hides / Wipes

Vae

Because, given the opportunity, some people will abuse the system in their own failure to grasp how communication works:
Can we make this infractable?

What I'm specifically referring to is a user going through their posts in discussions, and wiping or deleting them, after they've clearly had enough time to stand and sometimes have already been responded to.
(Obviously this wouldn't apply to say... accidental duplicate posts, or art posts, or whatever, since those come with implied ownership on the part of user.)

It just seems like a very cheap and immature way to try to circumvent responsibility for what one says in the public space,
and is largely detrimental to discussion as a whole, if someone just goes "NUH-UH! I DIDN'T DO THAT!" and just starts blanking things.

I know FAF had a similar policy, or at least a similar policy as it applied to blanking the OP of a thread after said user got called out on making that thread,
so I don't see why that would be out of place here.

• Like 1

Just now, Endless/Nameless said:

Or maybe we could have a limited time window for editing/deletion after publishing a thread reply.

Wasn't it like that for a while when the forums first opened back up after FAF? I thought I remembered folks complaining about that.

9 minutes ago, Chrysocyon said:

Wasn't it like that for a while when the forums first opened back up after FAF? I thought I remembered folks complaining about that.

I dunno, i wasn't here then. I could understand complaints tho; that's why I'd say give it a generous time window, like 24 hours.

1 hour ago, Chrysocyon said:

FAF disabled the ability to edit posts with the exception of admins and mods. Pretty stupid, if you ask me.

2 hours ago, Chrysocyon said:

Aye, it was. It was an insanely low time like 5 minutes or something of the sort, if I recall correctly. I think it may have gotten bumped up a bit when complaints first started, then removed altogether.

I'm all for forbidding post deletions after a certain time (5 minutes seems fair for you to realize a legitimate mistake, after that get a mod), but please don't change the edit time again. >< Unless you can enable the first posts to be edited infinitely only, then sure - go ahead and add back an edit time of maybe 30-60mins to the rest, but somehow I don't think that's possible.

I'm personally for allowing people to delete their own posts.

I'm also not a big fan of the mentality of making something an infraction because 'some people' fuck around.

I like having the option to remove material that I change my mind about having in the public space, it's incentive to contribute to discussion. When there's no option to remove shit, I spend more time wondering if I'm going to regret what I wrote in the future than I do contributing to anything.

I'm sure other people feel that way too, and I'm sure 99% of their material stays up, but there's a million things that could lead somebody to want to remove what they had written.

Maybe they shared something a little too personal and would rather not have that information available any longer; maybe they were talking about somebody who passed on and don't want to worry about having others further that discussion; maybe they were speaking of some future event that ended up going to shit...

What's the big deal, anyways? To allow people to wave others words back in their face? "You said this two fucking years ago, look how stupid you are!"

I don't see it as cheap or immature at all, it's a function that is enabled by default on any message board I've ever used.

I think I get the point, though. Some stupid fiasco happens and a user goes ahead and removes any related information and makes like nothing happened... When shit like that happens, it's not like everybody else instantly forgets about it, and yes, it's a stupid way to try and make something go away. Who cares, it becomes immediately apparent that the user in question is probably an idiot anyways. Let them sink their own ship.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

I like having the option to remove material that I change my mind about having in the public space, it's incentive to contribute to discussion. When there's no option to remove shit, I spend more time wondering if I'm going to regret what I wrote in the future than I do contributing to anything.

This is a good point.

Maybe we should at least have a placeholder for deleted posts? Like [this post has been hidden by user] or something? Maybe we already have that, I dunno...

I don't actually care too much, I'm just putting in my 2¢ on the topic.

42 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

This is a good point.

Maybe we should at least have a placeholder for deleted posts? Like [this post has been hidden by user] or something? Maybe we already have that, I dunno...

I don't actually care too much, I'm just putting in my 2¢ on the topic.

We do have an edit button so you don't have or need to hide a post. 

We wouldn't make it an infractable thing since it's silly to begin with.. 

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

FAF disabled the ability to edit posts with the exception of admins and mods. Pretty stupid, if you ask me.

I'm not sure whether it's that or the fact all the Senior Member (and probably other nonstandard) permissions got totally hosed in whatever they did.  I filed a help request, and with an 11-day turnaround they fixed my account perms.