The DOOM Beta

Lucyfish

16 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Eh, they really haven't aged well. Sure, they were cool at the time when Doom was the top of the line in FPS's, but these days whenever I play Doom 1 or 2 Deathmatch it just makes me want to play Quake or Unreal.

That's true :) I still play UT'99 a lot though, for me the best Multiplayer shooter around.

@PastryOfApathy I had hopes for that so much, but the loadout system, the weapon handling. It doesn't even come close to UT or Doom :-( It really shows it's made by a CoD team, it feels to much like CoD in an Doom skin.

20 minutes ago, weirdfox said:

I had hopes for that so much, but the loadout system, the weapon handling. It doesn't even come close to UT or Doom :-( It really shows it's made by a CoD team, it feels to much like CoD in an Doom skin.

I'll judge it when I play it.

Especially since the "hardcore" FPS crowd is filled with elitist shitnuggets who think anything short of rereleasing UT is heresy so they'll hate it no matter what. 

The whole CoD connection only guarantees it'll be more obnoxious than usual since I guess CoD killed gaming, or something retarded like that.

I reaIly do hate the video game community sometimes. 

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

I'll judge it when I play it.

Especially since the "hardcore" FPS crowd is filled with elitist shitnuggets who think anything short of rereleasing UT is heresy so they'll hate it no matter what. 

The whole CoD connection only guarantees it'll be more obnoxious than usual since I guess CoD killed gaming, or something retarded like that.

I reaIly do hate the video game community sometimes. 

You do have a point there :)

The game has potential, it really does, but the beta for me was so limited, so.. lacking of good weapons for me that it felt like to much of meh, not enough Doom if you get my point :)

On 4/16/2016 at 5:23 AM, XoPachi said:

Long video from a player that I follow. It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the zealot purist crybabies make it out to be.

I yawned a lot watching this. Not impressed. The single player experience is clearly the selling point of this "remake". 

Honestly, the single player trailers have looked incredibly fun. And that's all I want. For good multiplayer experience, I'll go for other games. Not once have I ever said "I want some multiplayer FPS fun, I'ma play DOOM." I'm fine with that line of thought continuing, as long as I can continue the line of thought I've had since I was literally 2 years old, which was "I wanna blow up tons of monsters, I'ma play DOOM."

• 2 weeks later...

Console shooters have low FoV in the first place to help with aiming, doubly so for controllers.  Being able to adjust this is going to have some interesting... results.  Wouldn't be surprised if they remove it because console gamers will complain about decreased effectiveness.

Also, is it really normal for this game to run like crap on my (admittedly aging) Phenom 965 750Ti?  It doesn't even look that great, yet it's giving me performance issues more severe than those from Crysis 3.

16 minutes ago, 6tails said:

If most other games were any indication to go by, they hit 60FPS by rendering at a lower resolution and then upsampling/upscaling.

Apparently PS4 version runs without Vsync while the Xbox does, and both run with a dynamic screen resolution (ala WipEout HD and Halo 5).  PS4 targets 1080p and the Xbox version runs at 900p, with some post processing effects, according to the following video.

Also came across this nugget.

Oh goody, yet another PS4-biased multiplat.  Sure couldn't get my fill with Arkham Knight and BLOPS3.

30 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Can't help it that the PS4 is still slightly superior to the One.

The game outright does not work on PC, according to that same video.  The PC version even has an issue exclusive to it when it comes to skipping the introduction video.  But the PS4 version is seemingly fine.

This doesn't look good.  I'm expecting the PC version to be busted.

14 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Which is fucking hilarious because they're all x86 machines.

It happened before.  It will happen again.  I'm not sure how Blops 3 handles now, but on release and in beta, it was absolutely dismal on PC.  Arkham Knight was famously broken as well.  Maybe I'm just paranoid.

1 minute ago, 6tails said:

It's a natural movement of the thread. It'll re-rail soon enough.

We got two more weeks DooM 4 comes out.  And you know what, I just remembered something.  Duke Nukem Forever will be 5 years old soon.

Can't say anything for DooM 4, but on a technical level, it looks like Id Tech 6 will be the first Id Tech engine to not be capped at 60FPS.  Not sure if they ironed out the megatextures problem or not.

2 minutes ago, 6tails said:

And DNF will still be a hotter pile of garbage than just about anything else. Gearbox screwed the pooch lubeless there.

Are you sure?  I have a feeling that Doom 4 will supercede it, but at least unlike Douk, this looks to be somewhat entertaining.  Douk was trying to be Half Life 2... 7 years later.

10 minutes ago, 6tails said:

And DNF will still be a hotter pile of garbage than just about anything else. Gearbox screwed the pooch lubeless there.

Sometimes I wonder how many people here have ever heard of a little something called Daikatana.

Really it makes the whole DNF thing even funnier because the exact same scenario (development hell for years, made fun of for years before release, released as an obsolete half-assed shell of a game, and promptly became a flop of biblical proportions) played out with Romero's Daikatana a decade prior.

DNF can't even succeed at being a monumental failure for the history books because all it ended up doing was rehash the Daikatana saga.

Some people say that Clive Barker presents:  Clive Barker's 'Clive Barker's Jericho' by Clive Barker was the modern version of Daikatana.  Indeed, both of them were FPSes with interesting ideas, held back by horrid teammate AI and making them a liability instead of an assistance.  Daikatana was overambitious, Duke just wasn't fun.

6 hours ago, SkyboundTerror said:

So, like, the trailer.

Who cares what anyone thinks about the multiplayer? This game IS badass and I'm pouring my life into it on release.

@0:38  Did the plasma shots disappear as soon as he swapped his gun?

So far it looks like every weapon is a projectile weapon, even weapons that would otherwise be hitscan like the assault rifle.  That could be interesting.

5 hours ago, major lee snake said:

@0:38  Did the plasma shots disappear as soon as he swapped his gun?

So far it looks like every weapon is a projectile weapon, even weapons that would otherwise be hitscan like the assault rifle.  That could be interesting.

Yeah, they disappear. His leg is also incomplete at :06 seconds. lmao

All faults aside, I'm very excited for this game. There isn't one Doom game I haven't enjoyed (and I'm one of the few who can say Doom 3 is a favorite). I've been avoiding spoilers like the plague so I don't know what expect going in other than blowing shit up with awesome weapons... and from the looks of it, that's exactly what we're getting.

• Like 1

I'm probably the only one that is not really vibing the new DOOM. I've played all of them, and DOOM 3 in my opinion is one of the best. They've gone back to being a run-and-gun-in-your-face type of shooter with the new one, sure, and that's really what DOOM is about, but it's missing the ambience and intensity DOOM 3 had, or even any of it's predecessors and I feel that's what really tied the game together. My skin still crawls playing them, or even watching gameplay of them. From all the gameplay I have seen from the new one, I haven't yet got that effect.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I'm probably the only one that is not really vibing the new DOOM.

You, and the entirety of 4chan.  Actually I'd say the entirety of Phoenixed, as well, barring precisely Xopachi and Skybound Terror, but this thread only has a few unique posters in it.  Saying 'everyone but them' would be misleading.

14 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

You, and the entirety of 4chan.  Actually I'd say the entirety of Phoenixed, as well, barring precisely Xopachi and Skybound Terror, but this thread only has a few unique posters in it.  Saying 'everyone but them' would be misleading.

Why on earth would you read any of the cancer 4chan spews out?

20 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Why on earth would you read any of the cancer 4chan spews out?

Got nothing else to do, really.  I more or less use it as an arbitrary news source (for example, the new GPU series from nVidia), and to see people lose their shit over various games' shortcomings.  It's almost like a parody of the internet.

Edit with new footage,

God damn, 140-160FPS on the GTX 1080, at 1080p resolution.  This sequence they're showing also looks reasonably cool, so now I'm just cautiously optimistic.

17 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Doom 3 is a really good game, it's just vastly different from any other Doom game so it's hard to consider it really part of the series.

The forced focus on darkness is a bit annoying (and IIRC due just as much to limitations of the unified lighting engine as it is to artistic choice) but thankfully the Duct Tape mod fixes that.

3 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

The forced focus on darkness is a bit annoying (and IIRC due just as much to limitations of the unified lighting engine as it is to artistic choice) but thankfully the Duct Tape mod fixes that.

I think it was an artistic choice, not due to limitations.  Quake 4 runs on the same engine and it too is covered in darkness.  Unlike D3, however, you don't need to always change to your flashlight, since your pistol and rifle have a flashlight on them.

22 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

you don't need to always change to your flashlight, since your pistol and rifle have a flashlight on them.

Not quite what I meant. I seem to recall hearing that at the time idTech4's unified lighting engine (a new technology in gaming at the time) could only handle a few lights at a time, which is what I'm getting at.

Lighting and shadows in a game are some of the most intensive operations undertaken by a game engine; unified lighting essentially means every light and the shadows they cast are rendered in real time at runtime. By contrast, the vast majority of HL2's lighting is precalculated and 'baked' into the map as static shadows.

17 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

Not quite what I meant. I seem to recall hearing that at the time idTech4's unified lighting engine (a new technology in gaming at the time) could only handle a few lights at a time, which is what I'm getting at.

Lighting and shadows in a game are some of the most intensive operations undertaken by a game engine; unified lighting essentially means every light and the shadows they cast are rendered in real time at runtime. By contrast, the vast majority of HL2's lighting is precalculated and 'baked' into the map as static shadows.

I thought the issue was that the flashlight and gun muzzle fire couldn't be displayed at the same time because they were both technically the same thing.  If you notice in the duct tape mod, the guns don't emit any light when fired (2:10), like the pistol does.  That might have been the issue.

34 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

I thought the issue was that the flashlight and gun muzzle fire couldn't be displayed at the same time because they were both technically the same thing.  If you notice in the duct tape mod, the guns don't emit any light when fired (2:10), like the pistol does.  That might have been the issue.

That still feeds into my statement; the muzzle flash and flashlight beam are both dynamic lights, and the engine may only be capable of rendering so many dynamic lights at a time which might've forced the devs to make the flashlight a separate thing.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2016 at 4:41 PM, Victor-933 said:

That still feeds into my statement; the muzzle flash and flashlight beam are both dynamic lights, and the engine may only be capable of rendering so many dynamic lights at a time which might've forced the devs to make the flashlight a separate thing.

I don't think the engine has been significantly enhanced to allow it to work just fine in Quake 4.  Or maybe it was.  I dunno.

I can't buy Doom right now. QnQ

I forgot it came out today so I didn't budget it in my plans. 

EDIT: But something good did come out today. It's not exactly Doom, but close enough. One of my favorite channels, Ahoy just released this retrospective of Quake and it's development. If you have an hour to kill, this is great.

Game's great. I'm happy.

The main multipayer really is lackluster (it WANTS to be an arena shooter but falls flat) and some weapons seem way better than others, but SnapMap makes up for it. Single player is bitchin'. You feel like a damned badass warrior pummeling and exploding your way through the hordes of demons. Every weapon is satisfying.

23 minutes ago, SkyboundTerror said:

Game's great. I'm happy.

The main multipayer really is lackluster (it WANTS to be an arena shooter but falls flat) and some weapons seem way better than others, but SnapMap makes up for it. Single player is bitchin'. You feel like a damned badass warrior pummeling and exploding your way through the hordes of demons. Every weapon is satisfying.

Is it worth the 37 bucks off CDKeys?  This is important.

47 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

It's about 50 GB, give or take.

GUYS THIS GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME THOUGH, DOOM IS BAAAAACK <3

Eh. My PSO folder is 70. But I'll still need some space. I'm at 90 gigs remaining on my drive.