Neon Genesis Evangelion

Rabbit Head

In 1995, Hideaki Anno and his team unleashed an anime equal parts praised and equal parts controversial. Both praised and decried, this anime's influence is still is felt to this day. This show turned the anime scene on it's head and paved the way for more original creator-made shows such as Cowboy Bebop as well as more experimental and cerebral stuff as Serial Experiments Lain.

It was original, it was subversive, and it was known as: 

Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_Logo.png

@Vaer @Crazy Lee @Battlechili

Anyway! This is the Eva thread. 

I figure what more fitting way to kick-start this thread and give it potential mileage at first is by showing off some random dude stating why he doesn't like the show or movie, End of Evangelion. You don't have to look at it if you want to and can start this thread any way you guys want, but it can give us something to start off with:

What are your thoughts on evangelion? What's your favourite episode? Is it deep or pretentious as all get out? Who's your favorite character?

Second Warning: This guy is REALLY unpleasant.

eva 4.png

eva 5.png

17 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

Reveal hidden contents

Second Warning: This guy is REALLY unpleasant.

eva 4.png

eva 5.png

Althou this guy is entitled to his opinion I only have one message to him:

cxONQcL.gif

What makes it good is that it's a puzzle MEANT to be solved! That's the enjoyable part. It flew right over this guy's head. Like...every anime isn't required to be straightforward and give all the details right there. 

Meh, but to each their own.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vaer said:

What makes it good is that it's a puzzle MEANT to be solved! That's the enjoyable part. It flew right over this guy's head. Like...every anime isn't required to be straightforward and give all the details right there. 

Meh, but to each their own.

Also his point on the characters being unlikable is also moot.

They are not supposed to be familiar cuddly archetypes. These characters are supposed to show what a person with these mental and emotional hangups would ACTUALLY act like.

Guess what? In real life, people who have mental and emotional issues aren't always likable and easy to be around. IT'S REAL and that's what makes these characters great. 

They're not meant to be likable, they're meant to be understandable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

Neon Genesis Evangelion will always be my first anime love.  Its the only anime where I own every episode and have watched them several times over.  As for my favorite episode it would be easier to list the few episodes in the series that I don't particularly care for.

That sounds good as well! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2016 at 5:19 PM, Rabbit Head said:

Also his point on the characters being unlikable is also moot.

They are not supposed to be familiar cuddly archetypes. These characters are supposed to show what a person with these mental and emotional hangups would ACTUALLY act like.

Guess what? In real life, people who have mental and emotional issues aren't always likable and easy to be around. IT'S REAL and that's what makes these characters great. 

They're not meant to be likable, they're meant to be understandable.

EXACTLY! Besides, they're 14 year old angsty pubescent children who don't even understand their own emotions yet.

OF COURSE they'd be annoying and whiny as fcuk. Pshh... but finding yourself hating them is what makes one want to watch until the end; to see if they die or not.

On 4/21/2016 at 7:27 AM, Derin Darkpaw said:

Neon Genesis Evangelion will always be my first anime love.  Its the only anime where I own every episode and have watched them several times over.  As for my favorite episode it would be easier to list the few episodes in the series that I don't particularly care for.

Definitely one of the good "Starter-Pack" anime. Action, Drama, Giant fighting cyborgs, etc.It even get's people ready for future anime plot "WTFuckery".

It will always be in my Top 5 Anime to rewatch. 

Speaking of... yeah. I'm going to go do that.

• 3 weeks later...