Nintendo NX, Zelda NX, E3, and You!

Tsuujou

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/27/11516834/nintendo-e3-2016-playable-games-legend-of-zelda-wii-u

So basically, news hit that Nintendo is again doing their own thing this year in regards to E3. They won't be showing the NX at E3 and Zelda will be the only playable game they have available at the expo. No Kirby, no Pokemon, no...Federation Force, and I assume no surprises. The biggest news for some people is that Zelda got delayed and the game will, unsurprisingly, be released for both Wii U and their "NX" console (to be launched March 2017). And by biggest news I mean what made people really upset.

----

(Unsubstantiated blabbering)

The fact that it's being released for the NX as the "superior" port had people that recently purchased Wii U's expecting an exclusive Zelda feeling high and dry. Me personally, I'm not worried because this has happened 10 years ago with the exact same franchise. Twilight Princess was originally being developed for the Gamecube and it was pushed over to the Wii. Which version you preferred was a matter of, well, preference. One wasn't notably "better" than the other. You can debate if Nintendo makes poor games by design, but no one can say they make outright broken games/ports and not be lying. Knowing Nintendo's intense level of polish, I think it's not a stretch to say the Wii U version will be just fine.

As for them not showing up at E3, the first time they pulled this was a bit jarring, but who knows, they might host more personal streams to showcase games in place of a large expo presence. Their own personal streaming events cost them a lot less and they won't have to worry about competing against objectively larger competitors like Microsoft, EA, and Bethesda. And I don't know, they seem pretty effective.

As for Zelda, damn I'm hype. I know I was hype for StarFox and was really let down, but I feel like Zelda is going to be stellar after Link Between Worlds being so amazing. And a typical open world styled Zelda? Yes please. Elder Scrolls, eat your heart out.

>Japanese developed game going the open world route

Sure worked well for The Phantom Pain, and FFXV is looking wonderful with a big, open world that's completely barren.  Especially since there's absolutely nothing to do in GTA5, or how Bethesda uses their world for nothing but random fetch or kill quests.  Oh, there's some bits and pieces of 'lore' here and there.  Open world game design is just jumping onto the latest fad, they're actually more restrictive than linear worlds due to how little there is to do.  But hey, the geniuses at Nintendo might put some random jars in a desolate area that you can break for some rupees.  Maybe there will be some gold skulltulas that reward blind roaming around.  :^)

The fact that Zelda is for both Wii U and NX is worrying.  This might mean the NX is hardly a leap in performance from the Wii U, much like the Wii was to the GameCube.  Or maybe the Wii U will run Zelda at 720p while the NX runs it at 1080.  30FPS, of course, can't have a Zelda game with good framerate.  It goes against Aonuma's genius design principles, up there alongside 'put statue on switch' and 'hit the blinking red thing on the boss' arse'.  Such a huge leap in performance, the NX finally caught up with the OG PS4.  <3

I... I'm sorry.  I just lost all of my faith in Nintendo once they stopped caring about F-Zero and Custom Robo.  At least they aren't lifting assets from Custom Robo and throwing them into Mario Party... yet.  I am going to scream if they do that shit, I sware on me mum.

38 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

As for Zelda, damn I'm hype. I know I was hype for StarFox and was really let down, but I feel like Zelda is going to be stellar after Link Between Worlds being so amazing. And a typical open world styled Zelda? Yes please. Elder Scrolls, eat your heart out.

Well, Seeing every Zelda game after Wind Waker was got shat on. This one /needs/ to be really good.

1 hour ago, Imperial Impact said:

Well, Seeing every Zelda game after Wind Waker was got shat on. This one /needs/ to be really good.

I just have hopes since that disturbingly handsome Eonuma said he learned a lot from A Link Between Worlds which I feel is my favorite formula so far.

Just now, Imperial Impact said:

I think that was BS since Tri force heroes was shit 

That was more of a spinoff though with an emphasis on multiplayer. I actually didn't get a chance to try it though. I heard online without friends is abysmal and actually impossible.

Man, I really need to get off the internet, there is just a massive amount of negativity when it comes to the games I've been playing and I would go as far to say that it has been hurting my experiences with those games

No, NX isn't going to be a holy grail, no, Zelda Wii U isn't going to be a goat, but I'm going to enjoy them anyway

1 minute ago, SirRob said:

Man, I really need to get off the internet, there is just a massive amount of negativity when it comes to the games I've been playing and I would go as far to say that it has been hurting my experiences with those games

No, NX isn't going to be a holy grail, no, Zelda Wii U isn't going to be a goat, but I'm going to enjoy them anyway

Hey, I didn't say they were going to suck. Exact opposite.

2 minutes ago, SirRob said:

Minor link.png

up the butt the master sword goes.png

30 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Hey, I didn't say they were going to suck. Exact opposite.

Nah, it's reply #1 that got to me

It makes sense, negatives are always louder than positives, and I'm being negative too, but, well all the more reason I ought to stay away

7 minutes ago, SirRob said:

It makes sense, negatives are always louder than positives, and I'm being negative too, but, well all the more reason I ought to stay away

Ah. Don't worry about it much. I get some guff for games I'm interested in as well. I remember when Doom 4 was shown and I simply said "Doom looks amazing" or something like that. Pissed off a few people somehow. I hardly talk about it openly anymore and god forbid if I spoke highly of Black Ops 3 or TitanFall. It's over.

I wouldn't worry about it too much until people start directly antagonizing you for your interests.

I'm trying to not be so down about video games anymore. Unfortunately in some cases, I just can't help but be disappointed regardless of hype or how much I tried to enjoy it, but it's not the end of the world. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

Zelda U might have a cool over world, But shouldn't care about the dungeons more?

I feel like we should care equally. Either can end up feeling like padding between the other and be boring. Like the one temple you had to repeatedly return to in Phantom Hourglass really just making me want to go back to seafaring. Or the overworld in SS putting me to sleep (the dungeons weren't stellar but more tolerable). A Link Between Worlds was just right. Lorule was a bit fractured, but it wasn't too bad.

14 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

I feel like we should care equally. Either can end up feeling like padding between the other and be boring. Like the one temple you had to repeatedly return to in Phantom Hourglass really just making me want to go back to seafaring. Or the overworld in SS putting me to sleep (the dungeons weren't stellar but more tolerable). A Link Between Worlds was just right. Lorule was a bit fractured, but it wasn't too bad.

I shouldn't since the guys at Monolithsoft is helping out. I just it's isn't another "Grass > Fire > Water > Sand > Sky etc." 

1 minute ago, Imperial Impact said:

I shouldn't since the guys at Monolithsoft is helping out. I just it's isn't another "Grass > Fire > Water > Sand > Sky etc." 

At this rate, about 20 games in, I figure it's a bit difficult to vary it up 100% every game in terms of dungeon themes. Themes still in tune with Zelda's overall setting anyway. I gotta at least hand it to SS; they made robots fit in very well. I think they could branch out further with that and make at least one full cyber level. Ancient advanced technology or aliens (wouldn't be the first they played with the latter). I think it could work. Maybe one item in the game could be a highly advanced tool you get from that dungeon. 

But I feel like they like keeping those "elemental" temples each game. At least grass, water, and fire. But if you have an ideas you should share them.

The newer Zelda dungeons typically tend to have elemental themes to them, but it's always (well, usually) an element plus something else. Like the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time felt like you were in a haunted mansion, while the Forest Temple in Wind Waker felt more like you were in an actual forest, and Forest Temple in Twilight Princess had sort of this tribal architecture to it and featured the monkeys. They have a common theme but it's always approached differently.

• Like 2

Yeah they go for a sort of dual theme nowadays which is pretty smart for the big console games. I think the most contrasting one was SnowPeak. It was flatout someone's house. But I personally like the temples being these deserted, dark places only monsters inhabit. Preferably creepy. Man, I'd be happy if we ever got something as creepy as the Well/Shadow Temple ever again.

2 hours ago, SirRob said:

:<

I'm just jaded and tired, is all, if I didn't say it, someone else would.  My expectations and dreams have been crushed so many times, I just don't feel like being hyped for anything anymore.  Plus this little comic Yahtzee made also holds some truth.

Ffy17tN.png

• Like 1

I'm still skeptical on the idea that they're only showing off Zelda at E3. It seems strange to me; I can't help but think there'll be a Nintendo Direct or something to show some other titles.

Regardless though, I find a lot of the backlash this news is getting to be strange. People keep saying the Wii U is dying off early, but it'll have had a life of a little less than 5 years. Perhaps short by console standards, but that's not short in its own right. A year or 2 more and every other company would've been doing the same. Though the complaint about Zelda being on NX at least makes a little sense; the console had no Zelda game of its own. Even the Wii had Skyward Sword, and the Gamecube WindWaker.

I'm excited but worried about Zelda U/NX myself, since I like pretty much every Zelda game, but the open-worldness worries me. I find that open world games tend to have large open spaces with nothing in them, and I feel they detract from the sense of progression one might get from being able to go to a new area after completing a quest or getting a new item.

Yeah they go for a sort of dual theme nowadays which is pretty smart for the big console games. I think the most contrasting one was SnowPeak. It was flatout someone's house. But I personally like the temples being these deserted, dark places only monsters inhabit. Preferably creepy. Man, I'd be happy if we ever got something as creepy as the Well/Shadow Temple ever again.

Snowpeak was my favorite temple of Twilight Princess. So different from the norm. Even the ball and chain came out of nowhere. Really neat item. Just wish it was used a bit more.

10 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Snowpeak was my favorite temple of Twilight Princess. So different from the norm. Even the ball and chain came out of nowhere. Really neat item. Just wish it was used a bit more.

I want a mobility item besides Epona like the spinning top from TP. That thing was cool. If only there were more ways to utilize rails. If they put Roc's feather/cape and Pegasus boots in this game, I'm going to cry.

1 hour ago, SirRob said:

Aww. You don't have to feel bad about thinking that way, you're entitled to your opinion. It just gets grating when you see that sort of negative opinion everywhere. On the old forums it was like that, too.

Ah, well my apologies.

That said, I'm more concerned about the codename NX's hardware.  One source said that some launch titles for the console will be Wii U ports, or at least, some Wii U games are scheduled to be ported to it.  This must mean that backwards compatibility is out, so a different CPU architecture will be used, instead of their old IBM PowerPC core.  Perhaps this is what AMD's alleged Zen CPUs are for?  They were also rumored to base the GPU off their Poliaris architecture, as well, so this means it will have (reasonably) next gen capabilities.  In theory, at least.  But what about Zelda?  Is this a simultaneous Wii U and NX release, or will the NX version be released later?

god forbid if I spoke highly of Black Ops 3

PLEASE tell me it's the PS4 version and not the god awful PC port.  I beg you.  No one should be subjected to how horrible of a port that game was.  It makes Arkham Knight look like Devil May Cry 4.

2 hours ago, major lee snake said:

:<

I'm just jaded and tired, is all, if I didn't say it, someone else would.  My expectations and dreams have been crushed so many times, I just don't feel like being hyped for anything anymore.  Plus this little comic Yahtzee made also holds some truth.

Ffy17tN.png

I believe the number one thing that ruins the most games for gamers is their own levels of hype not being put in check, rather than actual flaws in games. 

3 hours ago, XoPachi said:

But I feel like they like keeping those "elemental" temples each game. At least grass, water, and fire. But if you have an ideas you should share them.

dark world dungeons from alttp

Dancing Dragon Dungeon

Ancient Ruins

Explorer’s Crypt

Sword & Shield Maze

Spirit’s Grave has cool bosses

Moonlit Grotto

Mermaid’s Cave

Ancient Tomb

6 hours ago, SirRob said:

No, NX isn't going to be a holy grail, no, Zelda Wii U isn't going to be a goat

>implying

Now this is mostly just me, but I legit think every 3D Zelda game is one of the best games ever made. If I seem even the least bit doubtful (which admittedly I am) towards the quality of this Zelda pre-release, please understand that I don't actually think its going to be bad and know full well that whenever I do get to play this game I will most likely love it.

I have no doubt whatseover that its going to be a good game. My question is really HOW GOOD its going to be. If I seem negative, I'm not actually thinking this game will be bad, just illustrating possible worries that may result in the game being less than perfect. I love my Zelda games. I promise you. 

13 hours ago, major lee snake said:

Ah, well my apologies.

That said, I'm more concerned about the codename NX's hardware.  One source said that some launch titles for the console will be Wii U ports, or at least, some Wii U games are scheduled to be ported to it.  This must mean that backwards compatibility is out, so a different CPU architecture will be used, instead of their old IBM PowerPC core.  Perhaps this is what AMD's alleged Zen CPUs are for?  They were also rumored to base the GPU off their Poliaris architecture, as well, so this means it will have (reasonably) next gen capabilities.  In theory, at least.

We likely won't be able to really tell at first. It usually takes quite some for Devs to learn how to push a console to its limits.

• Like 1

@Clove Darkwave Well we don't need to push the console to its limits to find out how strong it is.  Though given how the PS4 and Xbox one only offer increased resolution and framerate over the PS3 and 360, there isn't much more room to expand.  Maybe targetting 1080/60 consistently (and maybe some anti-aliasing) will put the NX above the PS4 and Xbox one in terms of specs.