Baby's first houseparty

Wax

So about a week ago I received a Facebook invite from one of my pals who I haven't spoken to in a few months, inviting me along to his 18th birthday party. It's somewhat of a rite of passage in the UK as it is the legal drinking age - so naturally a large proportion of people will go out and get batshit drunk. His 18th was a houseparty though, and alcohol was available, but the dude had some of his family members over alongside his college pals, but it wasn't a problem or anything. It was also the first time I would ever be attending a houseparty, let alone being drunk, having only turned 18 about 4 months ago. His mother was there too, mostly just to oversee things, make sure we didn't break anything and even had a few drinks herself. The evening starts out well enough. I meet up with my best pal, go down the shops and buy some alcohol and a bottle of Vodka as a present for the birthday boy. After arriving, I had a beer or two, chatted with an old school friend and caught up.

My first annoyance of the evening came from when a somewhat 'edgy' bunch of his friends, one of whom was extremely drunk already, came into where we were stood and demanded that the birthday boy who I was talking to at the time did vodka shots. Birthday boy asks them if they have vodka, they say no because surprise - they're underage and couldn't have brought their own. He tries to say 'no, I don't want to do it', because it's only half past 8 in the evening, but they don't have any of it. So they spot the bottle of vodka I'd given him and demand that we use that. It was only a small bottle, and I'd given him other presents, but it was my gift to him, and it was about to be wasted on people I didn't even know. I suck it in and say 'birthday boy, it's your vodka so do what you like with it.' The true annoyance however, comes from the fact that the whole bottle was used up because that many people wanted shots, and that kind of pissed me off as well because it meant birthday boy didn't even have a drop left.

Anyway, the night goes on - I start switching from beer to things like vodka and coke and I get noticeably drunk. I pace myself pretty well so despite being drunk I didn't get paralytic or anything. I get into the swing of the party pretty well and everyone else starts getting pretty drunk too so we're all having a good time, and it carries on like that throughout the evening. Hooray! I can put the whole vodka thing behind me and focus on having a good time. I went out into the garden to find a garden furniture set had been smashed up completely, and the guy who was responsible for it seemed to have made a hasty exit as he nearly had a full on fight with someone else who went, which was pretty bad in itself because it seemed to have pissed birthday boy's mother off completely.

Towards the end of the evening I'm sat in the living room waiting for my ride home and someone's sister bursts into the room demanding to know where 'Josh' is (my name) so I speak up and say 'yeah that's me.' Turns out she was after a different Josh - one who'd taken one of my college pals into a backroom and forced himself onto her earlier that evening. I look outside the living room to find her in pieces over what's happened and being consoled by three different people, and I don't know her that well so I don't say anything. I only really find out what happened the morning after as well, and as such ruining my memories because one of the people I was chatting to and thought was pretty nice forced himself onto one of my friends. It was also made even worse by a lot of the male attendees asking 'are you sure she's telling the truth?' and even one of them saying 'well that's the society we live in now, she'll need to get used to it.'

I guess the purpose of this rant is just: 'why can't we all just fucking chill?' It's a dude's 18th birthday, we should be there for him and partying and having a good time, which me and my pals were doing until people just ruined it.

Why do people suck? Why do people ruin things?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrDingo said:

The best house parties are probably the more chill ones held just by friend circles

You're right, but my close friends don't really drink and I have to say, shit is much more enjoyable drunk or high.

21 minutes ago, willow said:

yeah house parties are pretty enjoyable when you're with friends and only friends. or at the very least when they're really small parties. this just sounds like a total mess

I wouldn't consider it a total mess, just assholes tarnishing what would be an otherwise good experience. I chatted with one of my college pals who also went today and she agreed it was a good night but it's just a shame that all that bad shit happened. I think things were exacerbated quite a bit by a lot of people being under the drinking age and as DrDingo said, not really not knowing what drunkeness feels like.

1 minute ago, Wax said:

I wouldn't consider it a total mess, just assholes tarnishing what would be an otherwise good experience. I chatted with one of my college pals who also went today and she agreed it was a good night but it's just a shame that all that bad shit happened. I think things were exacerbated quite a bit by a lot of people being under the drinking age and as DrDingo said, not really not knowing what drunkeness feels like.

alternatively they're underage and want to get totally shitfaced because they can get away with it. I see that a lot too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, #00Buck said:

Someone broke the patio furniture and then someone got raped? 

WTF kind of party is this?

Your friends have major problems. 

She didn't get raped, but I believe it came pretty close. Also I didn't even know the guy who did it. I must have spoken to him only once that entire evening.

6 hours ago, Wax said:

She didn't get raped, but I believe it came pretty close. Also I didn't even know the guy who did it. I must have spoken to him only once that entire evening.

Sounds like this party was very un-chill. 

Plus total creeps at the party. 

I could not enjoy myself in that kind of environment. 

1 hour ago, #00Buck said:

Sounds like this party was very un-chill. 

Plus total creeps at the party. 

I could not enjoy myself in that kind of environment. 

Truthfully I did have fun, and many of the other people did too. It was only the one guy who was a complete asshole/creep and I'm just more annoyed at the small things people did, and the fact my otherwise good memories are sullied by a pretty horrible thing that happened. I just wanted to post about it to see if anyone else has had similar experiences or whatever.

10 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Y'know, I've always been a slight bit sad I've never gone to a party. Now I'm not sad, thanks. 

Glad to be of assistance. If you've got a close friend circle, have a small party with them at some point. Alcohol or no alcohol, as long as you have some kind of entertainment ready you're definitely gonna have a good time.

2 minutes ago, Wax said:

Glad to be of assistance. If you've got a close friend circle, have a small party with them at some point. Alcohol or no alcohol, as long as you have some kind of entertainment ready you're definitely gonna have a good time.

Don't get me wrong. I've been to small Birthday parties of about 5 or so friends. Just nothing large like the high school/college house parties I've never been invited to :v

13 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Don't get me wrong. I've been to small Birthday parties of about 5 or so friends. Just nothing large like the high school/college house parties I've never been invited to :v

Honestly those are the parties you should stick to. As for bigger parties, if you're hanging with the right people, which obviously I wasn't doing that day, you can have a hella good time.

Lol, the "legal drinking age" where I grew up was 21. When I was around 15, I'd go these house parties with family where there was always alcohol, and I'd sneak some to the basement for the children who were ten. I remember one time I got really fucked up when I stole some of my dad's codeine he never took and then drank on it.

Some people never change :V

• Like 1