Thoughts/Help on my 3D model? (Warning:Bewbs!)

Rydenan

Hi all, I recently started learning ZBrush, and so, I of course had to try my hand at making an anthro girl! ;)

What I found was that it's really hard to make a furry face that looks right. I suspect that this is because, like with anime, a lot of the 2D drawings we see involve proportions that can't exist in 3D.

Anyway, this is my attempt at a canine furry girl.

LKtX7bN.jpg

uDPmo29.jpg

The model was made from scratch, because I didn't want to inadvertently bias myself with a human base model.

It's still very rough; I realize the paws and hands are barely defined right now. I think the hands are a bit small, and I might give her 4 fingers instead of 3, but I'm not sure yet.

vXrCuws.jpg

pBOsp7B.jpg

2zYRkpo.jpg

ZuML4LK.jpg

P8sap7C.jpg

Any thoughts/comments/criticisms are welcome and appreciated!

• Like 1

In general the anatomy is good. Have to say I don't like the fact she only has three fingers since her other proportions are in a realistic rather than a cartoony style I'd have expected a full hand. Also the fingers are rather blobby and the hair's rather seaweed-ish, but realistic hair is better done using a dedicated fibre system plug-in. The body is well accomplished though, I think the ankles and leg musculature have turned out especially well.

Thoughts for the future: unless your intent for the model is 3D printing, you might want to make the eyes a different way - you'll get a more expressive result by making them functionally like real eyes, which is to say an inner ball with a deep well representing the pupil and bearing the texturing for the iris, and an outer ball with a slight lump representing the lens that has basic properties (transparency, reflection, refraction index etc) similar to glass.

3 hours ago, Faust said:

In general the anatomy is good. Have to say I don't like the fact she only has three fingers since her other proportions are in a realistic rather than a cartoony style I'd have expected a full hand. Also the fingers are rather blobby and the hair's rather seaweed-ish, but realistic hair is better done using a dedicated fibre system plug-in. The body is well accomplished though, I think the ankles and leg musculature have turned out especially well.

Thoughts for the future: unless your intent for the model is 3D printing, you might want to make the eyes a different way - you'll get a more expressive result by making them functionally like real eyes, which is to say an inner ball with a deep well representing the pupil and bearing the texturing for the iris, and an outer ball with a slight lump representing the lens that has basic properties (transparency, reflection, refraction index etc) similar to glass.

Thanks! I forgot to mention that, yes, I do indeed intend to (try to) 3D print this. That's partially why the hair is a solid block, but it's also because I'm very new to this and don't really know what the best method for such things is. I'll definitely try doing it with fibers too now that you've mentioned it. The eyes technically are a separate piece (but they're not spheres.) If I try out texturing, I'll see if I can follow your advice on those.

Should 3D print just fine - you'll have some work to do removing support structures though unless you're using a printing service rather than your own device. Might need to make it quite large to capture all the detail, depending on what materials you're using and the resolution of the printer.

4 hours ago, Faust said:

Should 3D print just fine - you'll have some work to do removing support structures though unless you're using a printing service rather than your own device. Might need to make it quite large to capture all the detail, depending on what materials you're using and the resolution of the printer.

Yeah, luckily I have a lot more experience with 3D printing than I do with 3D sculpting ;) I have a 50-micron single-extruder FDM that I've had pretty good luck with in the past.

Also, here's the character with an added finger and hidden Seaweed Hair (lol):

XGKNllz.jpg

I personally think that looks a lot better, even with no 'hair' at all. No reason you can't take another stab at the 'do later.

(p.s. mine's a 25-micron liquid resin type printer but 50 micron isn't shabby at all - saw a KickStarter type thing recently where someone's created an extrudable plastic that can be automatically smoothed using a special solvent misting chamber - very impressing stuff but can't remember the name!)

39 minutes ago, Faust said:

I personally think that looks a lot better, even with no 'hair' at all. No reason you can't take another stab at the 'do later.

(p.s. mine's a 25-micron liquid resin type printer but 50 micron isn't shabby at all - saw a KickStarter type thing recently where someone's created an extrudable plastic that can be automatically smoothed using a special solvent misting chamber - very impressing stuff but can't remember the name!)

Nice! Is it an SLA machine? Or an Objet-style? Either way I'll bet it makes very nice parts.

And I totally agree about the four fingers, that was a good call, thanks.

Well for starters you work looks amazing! I actually really like the way the face turned out; it looks really fitting. I feel like the knees are a bit high and from the side her legs feel like they leave here a bit unbalanced; might try pulling them forward a bit. You're clearly a very talented sculptor; really I should be taking tips from you!

10 hours ago, Rydenan said:

Nice! Is it an SLA machine? Or an Objet-style? Either way I'll bet it makes very nice parts.

I'm pretty fond of it, but I won't gum up your thread any more talking about me :D

I think it's SLA - it's a Form 1+ if you want to know more.

15 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Well for starters you work looks amazing! I actually really like the way the face turned out; it looks really fitting. I feel like the knees are a bit high and from the side her legs feel like they leave here a bit unbalanced; might try pulling them forward a bit. You're clearly a very talented sculptor; really I should be taking tips from you!

Haha, thank you! (I don't know about that last part!) I kinda struggled with the balance at the beginning, then eventually just figured I could adjust the pose later. But I think you're right; looking again, the feet are a bit far back. I'll play around with the knee height a bit too.

7 hours ago, Faust said:

I'm pretty fond of it, but I won't gum up your thread any more talking about me :D

I think it's SLA - it's a Form 1+ if you want to know more.

Nice. I would have guessed Formlab, except that I know the Form2 only goes to 50 microns. Awesome machines though.

Anyway, here's where I've gone with the hands:

Ry5e5sc.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rydenan said:

. I would have guessed Formlab, except that I know the Form2 only goes to 50 microns. Awesome machines though.

Eh? No, the Form2 goes down to 25 microns too. Its default is 50 but it can go finer if you don't mind the increased build time.

9 minutes ago, Faust said:

Eh? No, the Form2 goes down to 25 microns too. Its default is 50 but it can go finer if you don't mind the increased build time.

Hm. Could be remembering incorrectly then. For the one I have access to, I swore I recalled the software only allowing down to 50micron. Usually that machine is used at 100 anyway though for the sake of time, and the parts still look amazing. I'm jelly ;)