Ib

Tsuujou

I just want to make this thread to gush about this little game a friend told me about years ago. http://vgperson.com/games/ib.htm

This is my favorite horror game. I fell in love with it's captivating presentation and simple but riveting puzzles. And the setting was something that really resonated with me; a demented art gallery. Growing up, I was always spooked by ghastly inanimate objects given life especially when they have vague motions and uncanny characteristics. This game really preys on those rather specific fears that I don't see too much in games. The horror elements somewhat drop off toward the final act of the game. I feel it's climax was the infamous "Doll's Room" (probably one of the the most frightening moments for me in a game). It's standard RPGMaker stuff, but it's very well contained and executed. I find myself playing it to relax now. I've solved all the puzzles, but the atmosphere, while unsettling is...strangely warm. There's a peacefulness to it now.

Sorry if this makes me sound like an edgy, angsty, high schooler, but this song really is something special. It's haunting, but calming.

This game really made me crave more 2D horror games. So far the only thing I've played that comes close to this was It Moves. Witch's House, Mad Father, and many others similar really fell flat to me (was also secretly hoping Undertale had some scary bits, but sadly no).

• Like 1

I've heard a lot about this game and honestly, it looks really cool! I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but you posting about this...It sounds REALLY good. I love a good horror game and I'd agree The Witch's House in particular was kind of meh. 

The thing horror games absolutely MUST do is have a good atmosphere, and that music sounds lovely for it.

Its not a horror game, but it is rather macabre...Have you ever played Off?

2 hours ago, Falaffel said:

Ok, I was told to play this by another friend. I'm a pussy and too afraid of horror games. Before I read too far into your post or click any of the videos, should I absolutely play this and how spoopy is it?

Depends on what scares you. On a scale of 1-10. I rate it's highest scare factor at a 8 but it's only at one VERY distinct point. Rest of the game is a 5-6. It's chill most of the time, but some things might make you nervous. There are absolutely no traditional jump scares, that much I can promise. Some small things pop up, but you won't get bloody faces flashing on the screen, screaming at you. There's actually a lot of icebreakers in the game to douse the heat a bit. But it stays consistent.

EDIT: Also the video doesn't give anything away. I don't even know why it's called Dining Room.

2 hours ago, Battlechili said:

I've heard a lot about this game and honestly, it looks really cool! I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but you posting about this...It sounds REALLY good. I love a good horror game and I'd agree The Witch's House in particular was kind of meh. 

The thing horror games absolutely MUST do is have a good atmosphere, and that music sounds lovely for it.

Its not a horror game, but it is rather macabre...Have you ever played Off?

I've played most of the big "Earthbounders". I didn't finish Off. I stopped playing when I got to...I think it was the mall?

I feel like Ib's graphical style helped a lot. It's a far chunkier game which aids the spooky vagueness of everything around you. Whereas Witch's house and other similar games are very stock SNES. The chase scenes I couldn't take seriously because they were these badly animated GIF files chasing you that just looked out of place. There was something about Ib that seemed to have a far better structure to me.

I just watched some guy play it and he was really stupid, took forever to figure out really basic puzzles... So at least I know for sure the puzzles aren't hard, which would be a turnoff. I tend to avoid these types of games usually just because they're more puzzle focused and aren't atmospheric/creepy. This one was a little creepy looking, and since it's freeware I might try it out some time just to see.

3 hours ago, Kinare said:

I just watched some guy play it and he was really stupid, took forever to figure out really basic puzzles... So at least I know for sure the puzzles aren't hard, which would be a turnoff. I tend to avoid these types of games usually just because they're more puzzle focused and aren't atmospheric/creepy. This one was a little creepy looking, and since it's freeware I might try it out some time just to see.

This is why I avoid let's play channels. If it's not because of their annoying bullshit forced persona, they SUCK at games and misrepresent them. I'll just watch someone who knows what the Hell they're doing like Bahroo or Uchiha Madao.

8 hours ago, XoPachi said:

This is why I avoid let's play channels. If it's not because of their annoying bullshit forced persona, they SUCK at games and misrepresent them. I'll just watch someone who knows what the Hell they're doing like Bahroo or Uchiha Madao.

Yeh, I just wanted to see what the game was like really quick, so I picked the first video that came up. =p I only watched it as long as I did (maybe 15 minutes worth) because it took a while for anything to really happen in-game that told me for sure yay or nay.

The game is pretty short and doesn't take long at all to really start if you've played any top down adventure games in your life. So leave it to let's players to fuck it up, right?

Trust me, you'll get stumped in Zelda sooner than this game. 

20 hours ago, XoPachi said:

"Just as you forget..."

Also the Liar's Room was brilliant as fuck.

That's actually the part where I got too frustrated with the video I was watching to continue, plus I didn't want to completely spoil that bit for myself since I wanna see if my hunch was correct (seems pretty obvious, but he didn't get it). It's called the Liar's Room, yet he believed both of the people who said "the one in this color is telling the truth". After he tried the 2nd one saying that I quit...