can't drive

Gator

ten years ago i got my permit.  nobody offered to help me learn to drive, much less get me a car or any other normal thing for people my age, so it never progressed past that point.  i had passed driver's ed and spent several hours on the road, but without help from my family, it went nowhere.  then i got an opportunity to move in with someone and took it because family life was garbage and i saw an opportunity and ran with it.  good things came out of that move and i certainly don't regret it, but *insert long list of unfortunate events here*, i didn't get my license during the time i lived there, either.  then came the awful day i felt pressured into moving back "home" with the family, still without a license or a car, and now with a good amount of time having passed since the last time i was on the road.  well, time keeps on ticking-ticking-into-the-future, more and more shit comes up, and here we are in the present: the adult living with a family member, who finally now has a car, but still only a permit, and yet again no one to drive with. 

the worst part is, due to my lack of practice, i'm rusty... to say the least.  i backed out of the driveway this morning while no one was here, went around the cul-de-sac, and came back into the driveway.  going around the circle wasn't an issue, but getting in and out of the driveway sure was.  i ran over part of a plant and came in crooked.  i'm just thanking my lucky stars i didn't hit the fucking mailbox, or i'd never hear the end of it--and not just because "money", but because "incompetence".  and that's what really scares me.  that is what makes me so incredibly nervous about something as simple as going up and down the street, and that is why i really wish i had someone other than my family around to help out.  but that is also at least part of why i don't want to take "adult driving lessons", as offered by my grandma instead of her just driving around with me a few times to give me the refresher i need to get confidence going out on the road.  she treats me like i have no clue about anything, always saying how i need to "learn how to drive", when what i need is not to learn how, but to fucking practice something i learned ten years ago.

aside from being a blow to my dignity, though, my main issue with the driving lessons is how long they would take.  if i had never been behind the wheel before, that would be one thing, but i've spent plenty of time in a car.  it's just been a while.  if someone would be willing to spend a few hours with me off and on, and not treat me like some bumbling idiot carrying a live explosive, it wouldn't be more than a few days before i could go get my license.  considering the fact that i'm pretty desperate to move out in a hurry, the sooner i can get through with that nonsense, the better.  but at this rate, i'm wondering if lessons wouldn't be faster just because no one ever seems to have the time.  and admittedly, i don't want to be the one to bring it up because i know that trying to drive with her sitting next to me is going to damn near kill me.  the one time she let me go in a circle in a parking lot, despite absolutely nothing being done wrong, she freaked out the whole time as if she thought i was going to crash.  it was ridiculous and humiliating.  i was really hoping i could get a friend over to sit with me, because again, it would take a lot less time that way than it would for me to complete some driving course. 

but i guess it's not happening, and after this morning, my confidence is completely shot anyway, and i'm sure she'll see me parked crooked and say something about that, too.  i would fix it, but now i'm afraid i'll just make it worse somehow.  i don't know if i'll ever have the confidence to drive at this rate, but something has to be done asap if i'm going to move... so i guess i'm just rambling for its own sake.  i feel bad, i'm sick and tired of being treated like an incompetent loser without ever being given a chance, and yet when i finally try things, what do you know, it's true. 

4 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Empty parking lot.

God👏 you👏 people👏 make👏 everything👏so 👏simple 👏so 👏difficult.

If you want to make it more technical add some road cones to the empty parking lot.  When you can avoid (and hit) the road cones at will you are ready.

1 minute ago, Strongbob said:

If you want to make it more technical add some road cones to the empty parking lot.  When you can avoid (and hit) the road cones at will you are ready.

And have a friend drive you to the empty parking lot if you're too a-scared to go alone. Thats what Toshabi did at the embarassing age of 16 and after 2-3 hours worth of practice in the parkinglot, he was ready to drive like a champ.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

And have a friend drive you to the empty parking lot if you're too a-scared to go alone. Thats what Toshabi did at the embarassing age of 16 and after 2-3 hours worth of practice in the parkinglot, he was ready to drive like a champ.

Also have your friend throw water balloons at you and yell profanities while you drive to make it a more authentic experience.  

At least youre not Red Lion's younger brother...actually I take that back too bad you didnt get the opportunities he did and simultaneously wastes

No but really that sucks, Im still a rusty driver myself but I somehow earned myself a license, despite that I can imagine what pain and stress there is accompanied with trying to learn that, lo siento

7 hours ago, Toshabi said:

Empty parking lot.

God👏 you👏 people👏 make👏 everything👏so 👏simple 👏so 👏difficult.

i've done the empty parking lot thing.  that's pretty much all i've been allowed to do post driver's ed, and i don't find it very helpful in becoming comfortable with an actual road.

6 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

At least youre not Red Lion's younger brother...actually I take that back too bad you didnt get the opportunities he did and simultaneously wastes

No but really that sucks, Im still a rusty driver myself but I somehow earned myself a license, despite that I can imagine what pain and stress there is accompanied with trying to learn that, lo siento

i've been pissed at him for years now (the thread is recent, but the brother thing has been an ongoing plague); i can't wrap my head around having a free shot at all these things and just refusing to take it. 

if i just had more opportunities to try it, i'm sure i could at least manage enough to get my license and go where i need to go.  it's just frustrating when people try to avoid helping because they act like they're scared the car will explode.  of course i'm not a wonderful driver right now; it's been ten years since i've been on a road and people are constantly talking down to me and making me nervous about being incompetent.  but if those things don't stop and if somebody doesn't give in and take the time to let me practice, that's never gonna change.  it just really bugs me that things could be a lot easier and would have been done a lot sooner if i wasn't the only one in the situation who was willing to try.  had this been taken care of ten years ago when it should have, none of it would be an issue, including the ridiculous insurance costs.

9 hours ago, KittenAdmin said:

Where do you live? Generally.

NC
about 20 minutes from downtown