Help Scientists While You Shitpost

Eggdodger

So, scrolling along in a productivity app I use to stay organized, I foundĀ The World Community Grid, a program that crowdsources volunteers' computers to aid in scientific research that would otherwise be costly or time consuming to compute. You can set when it works, and it monitors your resource usage in order to be unobtrusive to begin with-- amping up its allocation when you're just shitposting, and downscaling usage when you're playing a game. You can also choose what it works on-- currently, there are options to aid in the study of ebola, cancer, the zika virus and more.

Basically, it barely costs you anything and it does a lot of good.

• Like 3

Yeah, on paper it looks good but I did not buy my PC to do light stuff like... checking the email while looking for a cure to cancer or listening to music only. I play games so much I doubt my PC could afford to muster barely any computational cycles to a surely good cause

As for shitposting in here, I do it on mobile

On 11/18/2016 at 3:02 PM, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

While awesome I'm just by default leery about anything running anything on my computer without my say so.

I mean, in that case, it's a good thing you voluntarily download it and it's developed by IBM, a generally trusted corporation.

http://www.ibm.com/thought-leadership/world-community-grid/

• 3 weeks later...