Rivals of Aether

Tsuujou

http://www.rivalsofaether.com/

So I just bought this game because I saw Dabuz, StylesX2, and Mang0 playing it recently. It looked like a lot of fun and like this game a lot. It's a Smash Bros style PC fighter with solely the competitive aspect in mind. None of the bullshit: No items, only neutral stages, and it refined the good stuff of Melee's fighting system. If that is not your thing this game is absolutely not going to be your cup of tea.

I really appreciate games that are obviously inspired by something, but not 100% ripoff piles of shit. This game has it's own identity. The characters not only play different from one another, but for the most part they take very little from anyone in actual Smash Bros. The game also has some different mechanics. You can't grab ledges at all forcing you to mix up recovery. And the controls aren't as simple as Smash, but I feel like that works in it's favor by reducing the already low margin of input error Smash Bros has. So your "Smash attacks" have a dedicated button for instance that way you don't have to worry about accidentally inputting a jab or tilt instead of a smash and getting punished for it.

This suits me because I hate all other traditional fighting games. I -only- like Smash Bros and the competitive side of Smash Bros so having something like this on PC that isn't just Melee on an emulator and netplay is pretty swell. I'm going to be trash and get bodied constantly should this pick up, but I'll have fun. 

I'm still fighting bots because I'm trying to get the hang of it before I go online...and find a main or two. Liking this dual dagger Raccoon dude and the bird guy looks like a different style Falco so I'm gonna try him out.

I saw the Game Grumps play it. I like the silly and cute character concepts. I wouldn't say it has 'solely the competitive aspect in mind' because that does a disservice to the imagination put into the game. I probably won't pick it up, but it's definitely something I'm gonna keep an eye on.

I saw the Game Grumps play it. I like the silly and cute character concepts. I wouldn't say it has 'solely the competitive aspect in mind' because that does a disservice to the imagination put into the game. I probably won't pick it up, but it's definitely something I'm gonna keep an eye on.

Nnnnaw, this is strictly a competitive game. Competitive doesn't mean not creative or unimaginative. It just means it caters to people who are looking to wreck face and play to win.

But if that was the case why bother with character design, stage design, or music at all. I'd imagine all those things are just a distraction in a serious competition, not unlike items or stage hazards in Smash Bros. Why not just have series of squares fight each other and have visible indications of hitboxes? The creativity would go into input combinations.

Edited by SirRob