Rant: Religious protesters yell at cloud

TrishaCat

91sn32Q.jpg

Or at least they may as well be. It'd certainly be better that way. At my college, for the past three days in a row these religious protesters holding picket signs have been yelling at people telling them they are going to Hell and that Jesus is coming....Along with more hateful speech. According to a bunch of people (I haven't heard it myself yet), they've been calling people "faggots" and saying that "those fags are going to Hell" and telling girls off for showing too much skin. They've been at it for three days and they've been outside for whole afternoons for all these days. The first day it was a group of people just standing around yelling with signs. The next day they had that plus a shady tent. Today they have all that plus a big metal barricade around their leader who's yelling all this stuff (although there are members of this group outside of the barricade). 

I haven't really cared all that much and just mostly ignored it, finding it at worst intrusive since I don't' really think its worth taking seriously, but others have been a lot more upset by this and they've attracted large crowds (hence why they got their own barricade). Police have even been called out to make sure nothing illegal or violent happens to watch, so they're forced to listen to all this. Still, all this wouldn't bother me TOO much since such isn't really worth paying attention to in my mind (I figure if you give them attention, they'll come back), but its becoming harder to ignore and not get upset with. The protesters in question brought along some little kids to protest with them. Kids around the age of like 5. They're essentially teaching kids hate speech and teaching them that yelling at people and insulting them is how you get people to listen. O.o Now that, upset me. And you know what? That's not even what upset me most. I finally got REALLY upset yesterday after I decided to go hang around some LGBTQ group holding up a rainbow flag, maybe show my support or just hear what they're thinking. While over there, a bunch of people started coming by and apologizing to the LGBTQ anti-protesters for the actions of the protesters, and it might seem odd but that actually really pissed me off. Not at the people apologizing, but at the fact that the protesters are making people feel ashamed of themselves and making people think those protesters represent them. In my mind, the only people who should be apologizing are the protesters themselves, the ones that are yelling at people, calling them "fags" and telling people they're going to Hell. Why should they apologize for them? What right do these protesters have to represent them? They should only be representing themselves.

Anyways, I'm getting tired of all this. These people come down here each semester for a few days and it always attracts large crowds.And I don't really get why these people come down here; I've noticed this and I've said it before, but generally speaking yelling at people makes them upset and less likely to listen. If you wanted to convince someone of your views, why would you be so rude and awful? It just pushes people away and makes them more likely to show resentment and/or be less likely to listen to what the other has to say. So they don't really seem to have a grasp on how people's minds work, so they're protests are doing nothing but harming people's views of the very religion they're trying to promote. And they're making people feel bad, which makes me upset more than anything. And worse yet, because of the large crowds its impossible for anyone to reason with them. People's voices get lost in the crowd.

So uh...yeah. A bunch of angry people are coming to my college's courtyard each day to tell people about how awful they are and that they're going to Hell, and for some reason they think this will convince people that they've been doing bad things. Its made people feel ashamed of themselves, much to my anger and frustration, and its been attracting attention and diverting people away from their studies, which in turn hurts people's grades.

Edited by Battlechili

We get a few of those that stand outside of the College's science building and they yell and point at passerbys and students. It sucks because he is usually there during testing time and all everyone can hear is "going to hell", "faggot", "trollop", etc. Once in awhile, the Anime club would cosplay and stand in front doing crazy shit to deter him.

But I hope that you guys can drive him off and make him feel like filth. If possible, and if he is on the campuses' grounds, you and a large group can probably appeal to the dean to convince them that he is creating a large distraction and stuff.

Edited by Ozriel

We get a few of those that stand outside of the College's science building and they yell and point at passerbys and students. It sucks because he is usually there during testing time and all everyone can hear is "going to hell", "faggot", "trollop", etc. Once in awhile, the Anime club would cosplay and stand in front doing crazy shit to deter him.

But I hope that you guys can drive him off and make him feel like filth.

Last year when these guys came buy I seem to recall one student going to them and yelling out quotes from Spongebob while wearing a banana suit. You could even see the cops standing there trying their best not to laugh, putting their hands over their faces and grinning.

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 8

You should organize a spontaneous pride parade every time they come over.

Or atleast get together and preach pastafarianism with spaghetti strainers on your head at the same time, and raise money to cook free spaghetti for people in a big outdoor cookout around those idiots.

Then go around and donate half or all the funds to LGBTQ charities! (in addition to or instead of the cookout, which should def provide some food for the cops that have to stand around those fools)

Edited by Johanna Waya

Anyways, I'm getting tired of all this. These people come down here each semester for a few days and it always attracts large crowds.And I don't really get why these people come down here; I've noticed this and I've said it before, but generally speaking yelling at people makes them upset and less likely to listen. If you wanted to convince someone of your views, why would you be so rude and awful? It just pushes people away and makes them more likely to show resentment and/or be less likely to listen to what the other has to say. So they don't really seem to have a grasp on how people's minds work, so they're protests are doing nothing but harming people's views of the very religion they're trying to promote. And they're making people feel bad, which makes me upset more than anything. And worse yet, because of the large crowds its impossible for anyone to reason with them. People's voices get lost in the crowd.

This, this, a thousand times this. I don't understand why so few people seem to understand that being aggressive and confrontational is probably not the best way to get people to listen to you. If you "push" people, they'll usually push right back.

• Like 2

this sort of reminds me of the habitual anti war protesters during my time in monterey california

the had been protesting so constantly they seemed bored

just all casual like with some faded white board signs

wearing the same outfits

sitting in lawn chairs or just in their truck with the sign propped on the hood

at least they arent anti abortion protesters

i dont want to see no goddamn pictures fuck you