Fallout 4 Thread

DevilishlyHandsome49

I'm trying not to get too excited, because it'll probably be a hot, buggy mess on release, and I'll wait until modders have fixed everything as usual. While it looks cool, I'm not sure how new (modded) perks will work with that new listing style. Plus I believe it's Bethesda instead of Obsidian this time, so Skyrim with guns. Which isn't all that bad, I guess.

I can bitch about it instead of her.

Bethesda RAPED Fallout and left nothing from the original series. Hence I don't believe Fallout 4 can get anywhere near the original Fallouts. Because besting abominations known as Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV is not a feat. They're very decent FPS/TPSes with elements of character development (especially New Vegas) and a (not always coherent, especially in Fallout 3) story, but they don't stand anywhere close to the Fallout standards. And from the looks of it, Fallout 4 will be just heavily modded NV raised to a given power, but still in the different cathegory than Fallout.

It's like comparing Skyrim to Morrowind or Daggerfall. Sad joke.

So all I can do, is to put one of our faction's power armors on, say that BROTHERHOOD DOES NOT APPROVE and keep LARPing.

Edited by Ayattar

I'm kinda confused when you say they left nothing from the original series. If that were the case, they wouldn't even be called Fallout games.

They make lots of references to the old games with side characters and locations and even collectibles make nods to the previous games. Almost every weapon, piece of armor, and object is Fallout.

In Fallout 4, they seem to be trying to stay lore friendly. For example, the power armor actually resembles its original design as a one man tank. The vault suits are more skin tight like the original. Just little things like that show Bethesda is still being lore friendly to the franchise. Even one of the landmarks in Fallout 3 was a statue of the Interplay logo, showing respect to the original creators

Fallout 1, 2 and even Tactics compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas are like Command & Conquer Tiberium series compared to Command and Conquer: Renegade. Or Duke Nukem series to Duke Nukem Manhattan Project.

Don't even bring up the abomination that is Tactics. It had nothing in common with the Fallout franchise except that it used the same assets and setting. It was an absolute atrocity, and I'm surprised they didn't dig every copy of it into the ground.

• Like 1

I feel like I'm the only one in the universe not hyped for this game. I have Fallout 3 and played that a while, but not nearly as much as I played Skyrim and Oblivion. Skipped NV cuz meh. Only interesting feature I've heard about for 4 really is some sort of town governance simulation, but I haven't looked into it much since having heard about it and even if it was handled really awesomely, I don't know if that would be enough to make me want to buy it for any more than 50% off.

Edited by Kinare

What? A Bethesda Fallout thread without Kellie bitching about it? What sorcery is this

What blasphemy is this?! I must redeem myself.

Well, erm, I don't like to use the word "overrated" 'cause that implies there's some objective standard to what makes a great game but I did play all of Fallout 3 and was left a bit underwhelmed and disappointed, but that may have been because I was new to Fallout and expected some kind of Mad Max type experience. I found the exploration enjoyable enough, though.

I might consider getting Fallout 4 someday but not at launch. Maybe when it's had a price drop. I doubt I'll do crafting, though... I also heard that id Software helped make the weapons in the game so maybe Fallout 4 will provide a temporary fix until Doom is released.

ALSO, I have considered doing a Let's Play of the original Fallout 'cause I suck at it but I'm not sure what recording software to use, I tried to do a recording once but it didn't work. ;w;

Bethesda RAPED Fallout and left nothing from the original series. Hence I don't believe Fallout 4 can get anywhere near the original Fallouts. Because besting abominations known as Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV is not a feat. They're very decent FPS/TPSes with elements of character development (especially New Vegas) and a (not always coherent, especially in Fallout 3) story, but they don't stand anywhere close to the Fallout standards. And from the looks of it, Fallout 4 will be just heavily modded NV raised to a given power, but still in the different cathegory than Fallout.

So all I can do, is to put one of our faction's power armors on, say that BROTHERHOOD DOES NOT APPROVE and keep LARPing.

Did you ever play Wasteland 2? I haven't but I wonder what fans of the original Fallout think of that, since Fallout was a spiritual successor to the first Wasteland, so I imagine that Wasteland 2 is what fans of the original Fallouts would want, maybe?

Edited by Kellie Gator

I hath summoned thee

Edit: By the way, if they're gonna implement Skyrim's perk system I'm gonna shoot my dick off. Fucking hated it. It reduces the game to a grindfest

Edited by Guest

Did you ever play Wasteland 2? I haven't but I wonder what fans of the original Fallout think of that, since Fallout was a spiritual successor to the first Wasteland, so I imagine that Wasteland 2 is what fans of the original Fallouts would want, maybe?

Yes, I did. And I uninstalled it after circa 9 hours of playing. I enjoyed it, for a time, but sadly game has some broken mechanics making it a real pain in the ass later (ie. how some perks and attributes work, ie. strenght being near to irrelevant in strenght-based perks, or how so-called wasteland "encounters" work, oh dear lord...). It also becomes repetitevely boring in the mid and late game, with too small emphasis put on the story. Sadly, in my opinion it's very "flat": okay, some robots, some shit going down, but what comes from that? At least my reception of the story was very passive. Honestly, storywise, comparison between Morrowind (Fallout 1 and 2) and Skyrim (Wasteland 2) would be, again, in place.

I may try it again in the future, especially if some imperfections were fixed, but I doubt it.

Edited by Ayattar

So all I can do, is to put one of our faction's power armors on, say that BROTHERHOOD DOES NOT APPROVE and keep LARPing.

Yeah lets go back to the good old days of a total lack of direction and watching 5 minutes of you and 8 dogs missing each others.  Combat sure was exciting back in Fallout 1 and 2.  I don't get where this love for the original Fallout games comes from.  I tried playing them recently and they are just bad games filled with unnecessary and obtuse mechanics and a story that is completely circuitous and almost impossible to find what you need to do in it without following a guide every step of the way.  It does that terrible thing so many old rpgs do where you are expected to comb over every bit of dialogue to find the one keyword or phrase that you then need type in to even get the conversation to advance so you just sit there typing the same word and every possible conjugation of it till you manage to find the exact tense and combination of words that is needed to get the game to move forward.  Back to the combat now where either everything is over so fast its a blink and your dead moment for you or the opponents or its a disgusting slog of you and the enemy going back and forth missing each other because hit percentages can be so stupidly low.

your dick might want to say his last words then, cause....

That sounds like a very weird design decision. The perk system that has been a staple of the series isn't good enough? So we no longer get Wild Wasteland? No more TARDIS encounters or freaky alien sounds?

That sounds like a very weird design decision. The perk system that has been a staple of the series isn't good enough? So we no longer get Wild Wasteland? No more TARDIS encounters or freaky alien sounds?

From the perk chart I posted earlier, every single perk has its own rank that I think you have to earn through experience. Some perks have 5 ranks, some 3, etc. The SPECIAL you set for yourself in the beginning of the game may determine what perks you'll be able to start with. I don't believe they'd lock you into a set SPECIAL otherwise whats the point of having all those perks?

And nah, don't think there is Wild Wasteland in that perk tree. Who knows though? Maybe it could be a tag at the beginning game

From the perk chart I posted earlier, every single perk has its own rank that I think you have to earn through experience. Some perks have 5 ranks, some 3, etc. The SPECIAL you set for yourself in the beginning of the game may determine what perks you'll be able to start with. I don't believe they'd lock you into a set SPECIAL otherwise whats the point of having all those perks?

And nah, don't think there is Wild Wasteland in that perk tree. Who knows though? Maybe it could be a tag at the beginning game

God damn, I hope there is... Wild Wasteland is one of the best perks in the entire franchise. I'll be sorely disappointed if it isn't present in the game, in one form or another. Could be a tag, could be a "cheat" or a console command. I just need my weird and wicked shit!

I doubt there's much that can be spoiled about Fallout. The storylines have never been the strong point of these games.

Well the side quests usually hold the best storylines, more than the main quest. But you never know. They could actually put their all into the story this time around

• Like 1

What's weird about that? Drivable vechicles were present F2 and Tactics, and that F3 and NV didn't had them, is only the measurement of how Bethesda dumbed them down.

I guess vehicles just didn't work with the world they craft in terms of design

And turns out there will be no vehicles. That perk at the end with the car is like Clairvoyance from Skyrim

What's weird about that? Drivable vechicles were present F2 and Tactics, and that F3 and NV didn't had them, is only the measurement of how Bethesda dumbed them down.

I love Bethesda games, but they are really bad at animations. and their scripting is bloated and messes up quite often. Quite frankly, I don't have faith that they can do vehicles in any of their games that look at all realistic, or handle worth a damn. Look at the horses in Skyrim, geez.

In other news, I have so many vacation days that will evaporate into the ether otherwise, so I'm actually taking off time for a game release for the first time in my life. Ridiculous.

I love Bethesda games, but they are really bad at animations. and their scripting is bloated and messes up quite often. Quite frankly, I don't have faith that they can do vehicles in any of their games that look at all realistic, or handle worth a damn. Look at the horses in Skyrim, geez.

In other news, I have so many vacation days that will evaporate into the ether otherwise, so I'm actually taking off time for a game release for the first time in my life. Ridiculous.

bah, nothing ridiculous about it. Embrace it :P

and yeah, I cant see Besthesda doing vehicles well, even wuth them improving

And some news for PC users, here are the specs you'll need:

Minimum

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Recommended

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

Edited by DevilishlyHandsome49

Got just above the minimum processor but above the recommended graphics card with its own onboard 8GB Ram on top of my other 8GB....I should be fine on medium to high I guess.

Does CPU even really matter for graphics rendering? I've done research on this and it seems you have to basically have a CPU from the 1990's to bottleneck a modern GPU. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1