Discworld just kinda runs out of steam

AshleyAshes

I've been reading the Discworld books over the last 4 years or so because the audio books are a great way to kill time in a commute.  I've been going through them in order and now I'm up to #28, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.  These books just aren't as great as they used to be.  Though The Truth stood out.  But the point is, the series is kinda running out of steam.  The Wizards, the Witches, the Guards, they all have fun and interesting storylines, but it's getting so complicated now that the books feel less focused and more 'random'.

...And what the hell ever happened to Eskarina?  Her book was the 5th book but nothing's been heard of her since.

Happy Hogswatch, everyone.

The Amazing Maurice is meant to be a teen or young adult novel, and I agree that it just wasn't as compelling and funny as the adult Discworld novels.

The later books slipped in quality likely due to poor Sir Terry's Alzheimer's.

I thought that the whole series was regarded as 'Young Adult'?  They aren't exactly the longest and most complicated books in the world after all.  Though the worst was The Last Hero which as I understand it, in print was a picture book.  But like, the only interesting part as really construction and flight of The Kite.  Once they get there they're just like 'Don't blow up the Gods Cohen, think of the puppies!' and he's like 'Oh.  Okay'.  WTF?

I don't think there's anything in the rest you couldn't sell to teenagers in an explicit content sense, but the few specifically aimed at them ease off on the references and satire a bit and just tell a story. Also I think they're shorter but that's just the impression I got, can't say I actually counted. You've complained specifically about two that I remember were definitely aimed at younger audiences, so I think that might have something to do with it.

Also she was one of quite a few once-off characters IIRC. There are quite a lot who are important in their specific story and then either never come up again or are perhaps only mentioned in passing.

I always found the Discworld books to be best read just picking them up at a whim instead of reading them through (except for two-parters like Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic). They're pulpy, fun, and have a wonderful sense of humor. Mort's a personal fave of mine, but Death is my favorite character and having a whole book focused on him and his protege is great.

I recently started reading Mort. What book should I read next to get into the series?

I think that the very first two books, The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, do a great job of setting up Ankh-Morpork as a city and the universe as a whole. Also, it's the first introduction of the wizard Rincewind who's a primary character in the world cast.

After that, you can mostly pick up whatever book you want based off its premise. They're of varying quality, of course, but most novels are standalone and can be read as you like.