Rant?: Awkward Moments

Kaizy

So, I'm in a small Skype group with some friends. Tonight, my Skype group had finished up a late night call, and my girlfriend went to bed, and just as she goes and I mute my mic to get ready to leave, my other friend starts crying in the call. And like...I froze. I do not know how to handle those situations at all. I just sat there for about a minute until her girlfriend got back and started consoling her, then I completely muted the Skype client. I checked back a half hour later, and they were talking about some seriously personal things, and I'm at this weird awkward point where it's like...do I just turn on my mic and say "hey I'm back" or just hang up even though I'm sure they might know I'm still technically there.

Like I don't want to leave because I feel like they're gonna notice and think I've been listening to the whole conversation and didn't say anything because I don't like them or something and make the matter worse, or I'm going to join and not have any idea what to say or how to console my friend and make matters worse.

I'm a terrible friend and a fucking socially-inept idiot.

Well if what if you're friend and her girlfriend were talking about was that personal, they should've ended the skype call and not just left it on for you to hear

Well I mean it just kind of happened. She just started crying all of a sudden and I think she might have assumed I had gone afk or something.

That is kind of a weird solution when they could just start their own call, but¯\_()_/¯

Well it wasn't an "official" group call or anything. My group of friends starts random one-time groups all the time, usually when we play specific games n the like.

Also, technically she did start/make the group lol.

I dunno, I don't think the group thing is a big deal. My complaint was being stuck in an awkward situation.

I get stuck in situations like that a lot. I fucking hate this weird social awkwardness where hearing anyone cry just makes me freeze up and not be able to say anything.

You have to consider it's not your fault if you've heard the conversation; you didn't, say, force a call on said person as soon as you sensed something was wrong. But anyway, I can understand how awkward that would be. :/ One of the reasons why I don't like to voice chat it's because everything turns out to be... not natural.

Then again, I happened to run into some awkward stuff myself during rl conversations: there's a friend of mine who sometimes likes to talk (in some cases, even with other people) while I'm still mid-sentence, completely ignoring what I'm saying. The only thing that relieves me is that I've seen her doing this to most people she talks to, so at least I can think it's not because I'm unwanted. ._.