Slightly Damned

Vallium

I feel kinda bad for bringing up one comic over one in another thread, so it should get it's own instead. Cant say it's any better or worse but rather different.

http://www.sdamned.com/

That said, Slightly damned is a pretty good running comic, the story and art is very engaging (the beginning may be offputting but the art style radically changes into a professional quality comic towards later pages, the author even reduxed at least two old pages)

For those of you interested in anthropomorphics there are plenty of that, along with a cast of human characters, animal characters, the like.

A brief summary from the web page itself as far as what's happening in-comic

Slightly Damned is a story-driven comic in a fantasy setting. It has comedy, romance, drama, and some violence and swearing. It normally updates on Saturday and its author goes by the nickname Chu.

New readers should read their way through the archives first!
Though if you’d like to skip to the end, consider reading the synopsis below to bring you up to speed:

The Story So Far

Rhea Snaketail, a Jakkai, was mysteriously murdered. Not good enough for Heaven yet not bad enough for “real” Hell, she is sent by Death to The Ring of the Slightly Damned on the outskirts of Hell. There she meets a naive young Demon named Buwaro. Behind Buwaro’s cheerful demeanor lies a tragic past and a terrible secret. With the help of Buwaro’s sister, Rhea and Buwaro manage to escape Hell. They find themselves in the mortal world of Medius, in the country of Fragaria, in the graveyard where Rhea’s corpse was once buried.

Soon Rhea and Buwaro run into an Angel in trouble named Kieri. Angels and Demons are supposed to hate each other, but Buwaro doesn’t even know what an Angel is. Although she is a competent warrior, Kieri is socially awkward and struggles with an unusual curse. After Rhea and Buwaro help Kieri escape the clutches of two antagonistic Demons, they learn that she has been separated from her twin brother. Rhea and Buwaro agree to help Kieri search for him.

During their journey, Buwaro and Kieri fall in love with each other and are now happily enjoying their relationship upgrade. Rhea, Buwaro, and Kieri also join up with the Human Sinclair family: a peddler, his pregnant potion-brewing wife, their niece, and their Fairy friend. Rhea, Buwaro, and Kieri agree to travel with the Sinclairs until they reach the giant city of St. Curtis.

How long can Rhea keep running from her past?
Can the wimpy Buwaro prove his worth?
Will Kieri ever reunite with her brother?

And did The Great War between Heaven and Hell ever really end?

Feel free to check the Info tab more info on the backstory of the comic such as world history, cast, races, FAQ. Though you could always just jump into the comic, as the information has always been easily introduced along the way in such a way that isn't an overwhelming mess of setup and backstory.

I highly suggest it. Been following it for 2-3 years now, give or take. The author definitely knows where she's going with the comic and has never gone too long without updates (heck, even during her time in art school when she was thinking to go on hiatus but did not).

I admire Raizy/Chu as an artist as she's pretty dedicated to her work and can spin a good tale and interesting characters.

I like Sdamned, but I really wish so much of it didn't revolve around Buwaro and Kieri's relationship, because it's kind of forced and cliche imo. And it takes focus away from larger plotpoints.

I want to know more about Rhea, the conflict between the three worlds, Sakido, Iratu, and how Darius got into the position he's in and what it means.
I actually liked it a lot better when the story was still set in Hell.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 1

I like Sdamned, but I really wish so much of it didn't revolve around Buwaro and Kieri's relationship, because it's kind of forced and cliche imo. And it takes focus away from larger plotpoints.

I want to know more about Rhea, the conflict between the three worlds, Sakido, Iratu, and how Darius got into the position he's in and what it means.

All this fucking lore and we have to deal with two insufferable R&J assholes-- a socially awkward angel and a mentally handicapped demon. 

Cant say there's been more focus there than any other comics I've read. I think there was a brief section in which the focus was on their relationship, and the story has moved on since. Currently, the angels and demons are meeting up, the guardians are coming into light, and Kieri has found her brother. I don't think that's too spoilery to say, but suffice to say the story is progressing