Rant: Cancer

Ginpanther

Late last week, advanced lung cancer took my aunt from my family and I. Over the last few months she'd fought bravely through chemotherapy and radiation, but in the end her body became too weak to sustain a new round of treatment and the disease continued marching on. When I learned a few weeks ago that scans had found cancer in her bones I knew it was a losing battle, but I had still held out some vain hope that perhaps she could buy a little more time and see this year to a close, to be able to enjoy one last holiday season with my uncle, her children and the grandchildren. Last Tuesday she was hospitalized for a series of TIA. She came home Thursday, and passed away Friday night. At least she was in her own home and surrounded by family instead of someplace else. We've lost a loving, creative and generous light in our lives. I'm never going to receive one of her unique, home-made crafts as a surprise gift or hear her laughter ever again.

I am so upset and angry and bitterly tired of cancer and the role it is played in taking people I care about from this world. I have a medical history that involves cancer. While I was being treated, my father's coworker and friend was taken by a particularly nasty cancer in his abdomen. I was very young, but even then I wasn't sure why it seemed I was going to make it into remission but Mr. S. passed away. Years later, cancer would claim three coworkers I spent a lot of time with. In 2012 I watched breast cancer claim the life of another friend. At the beginning of this year, cancer along with other complications took the life of my cat, a little animal that held a huge part of my heart and had been my companion for almost fifteen years. I was, and still am, devastated by that. A month ago in October cancer claimed somebody I was acquainted with from online. And now this, with my aunt. There's others I haven't mentioned, but the theme is there. The service will be held on Friday or Saturday of this week. It's about an 11.5 hour drive from her to their town, which isn't bad. I have obligations to the animal rescue I volunteer with, as well as special-needs animals at home, and I may not be able to arrange coverage for all of these things, so I may not be able to go pay my final respects. That's almost as upsetting as knowing I didn't get to see her one last time this summer or fall.

We can't find a cure of this scourge fast enough. It is insidious, it robs families of loved ones and all it leaves behind is suffering and grief.

auntL-20100814.thumb.jpg.5a63313eacc21e0

I miss you already, aunt L.

A friend of mine has had cancer a couple rounds now and is currently cancer-free, but it's always a big worry that it will come back. He's only 27 and has had it twice, so I fear for him that he has a long life ahead of struggling with keeping himself cancer free. He has a sorta weird sense of humor about it though because he's a smoker, he laughs about the fact that he hasn't had lung, throat, or mouth cancer... yet... Not entirely thrilled about his jokes, but I don't tell him that of course.

Other than that, my only other experiences with cancer were all with clients who were in remission when I got to them. I can only imagine how horrible it must be to go through or to watch someone you love go through. I'm sorry it's taken so many from you. 3:

My condolences to you an your family, My Uncle is currently going through chemotherapy for lung cancer, the signs are good so far that he'll get past it but its only been 2 years after he lost his wife to cancer.

My Dad's sister recently just beat cancer as well.

My grandmother who died in 2008, she beat cancer 3 times in a row, and then the 4th round claimed her, I don't know how she did it, but I guess through willpower alone she held on for one more month so all of her family could say goodbye to her, as soon as my cousin from Canada the last one to make it here said her goodbyes, she went peacefully in her sleep that night.

It really is so tough and heart wrenching, its a disease I'm tired of, we make so many strides to creating new treatments and then we fall back 10 steps, if its caught early then you're in most cases golden but if its just that little bit late the battle to live suddenly ramps up but even then still a lot of unknowns that can just claim you in an instant.

Edited by Naesaki

Lung Cancer eh? One of my dear friend died of tuberculosis (fluid started taking over the lungs) He told me how fortunate it is for us to be blessed with healthy lungs.. yet we take it for granted and smoke heavily.

My condolence. I'll pray to the gods that her spirit finds it's way back to her ancestors

I know how you feel man. I lost my grandmother to lung cancer as well. Didn't really get to see her or anything since we moved to Arizona at the time and were no longer close enough to visit.

I'm really hoping someday cancer is just another curable medical problem.