My planned gaming rig. Thoughts?

Ok so I took what you gave me in the last thread and got informed on what I actually want. Down below are the components I'm planning to buy. If you want, do share your opinion. Namely I'd like to know if this is a good build. I'm pretty confident it is but I'd still like one last confirm.

CPU - Intel Core 1150 i5-4690 Ci5 Box (3,5GHz)

Motherboard - Gigabyte H97 D3H

HSF - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Fan(s?) - Noctua NF-F12
Note: Planning to buy one to put in the back of my case for a bit of better airflow

GPU - MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G NVIDIA GeForce

Storage - HDA 1000GB Seagate ST1000DX001 Deskt. SSHD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Hybrid D
Note: I know what you're thinking, that I'd be better off buying an SSD and an HDD separately. I would if my budget would allow it and I'm just below it with this build. May get these two in a future hypothetical upgrade when I'll have some extra euros to spare. For now, I'll deal with the little longer loading times.

RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury Kit Memory DDR-III da 16 GB, 2x8 GB, PC 1600

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS
Note: I'm very concerned with this particular component. I was going for a Corsair CX series but people advised against it. Will this one PSU do the trick? Also, I did one of them power supply tests and I ''scored'' 400W. Heard some breathing room can be beneficial, how exactly still isn't very clear to me but I won't take any chances here

Case - Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

Monitor - Philips 223V5LSB2/10
Note: Checked the specs for this one: 21.5 inches 1920x1080 resolution at 60hz with 5ms refresh rate. Would you recommend it? I've been playing Skyrim for a year now with a 1366 x 768 monitor at 60hz. The resolution was crap (especially considering that the laptop I've been playing it on isn't even designed for gaming) but in small cells that my laptop could actually handle it was fairly smooth. I know I know, the amount of FPS' depends mostly on the GPU + CPU but you need a good monitor to show its full potential as well, no?

I checked for compatibility and there should be no conflicts (do correct me if I'm wrong).

Edited by Guest

I'm pretty far behind on what the latest metrics are to follow for GPU or RAM or monitors, so I'll defer to somebody who is up to date on those types of things.

On the power supply, I think you made a good choice going with a "modular" power supply. It is much easier to manage the spaghetti by being able to only put in the power lines you need versus trying to find a place to tuck the ones you're not using. Having "breathing room" on the wattage of the PSU is beneficial in one basic way: you can add more peripherals at a later time without having to do a rip and replace. If it's a reputable brand (I think EVGA falls in that category) and is made with any quality, the PSU has a number of over and under-voltage safety protections that will shut the rig down before components are damaged. In closing,it's not about having "extra power on tap for sudden draw" so much as just future-proofing against a new, hungrier video card or additional SSD.

Invest in some velcro hook and loop cable ties to help manage the various cables (power, SATA, header feeds, etc.) inside the case and anchor them for ease of bundling. Do not crimp the cables by getting overzealous in your wrapping and pulling them so tight that bend radius is violated. Ideally you'll have cabling that is "just long enough" to reach its destination without being too taut, but... that's sort of a fantasy land that almost nobody lives in.

I'll look a bit further into the parts later, but I'm not sure you'll want any additional fans with that case. It already comes with two, presumably front and back, and since you aren't overclocking anything, or stuffing in multiple GPUs / HDDs, that should be sufficient.

Edited by Onnes

This thing should do the job. There are just a few things which i personally would change.
Be aware that these changes are mostly out of personal preference and your build is going to run without them.

The EVGA PSU you choose, while semi passive, isn't as quiet as some other non-passive power supplies once the fan kicks in.
BeQuiet or Seasonic (usually) make very quiet PSUs.
650 Watts are more than enough. The "breathing room" ist helpful because Power Supplies usually work the most efficient at ~50% to ~80% load.

If you can afford it go and buy some dust filters and make sure you got positive air pressure. This will keep your system a little bit cleaner.

The monitor is also fine - BUT keep in mind that you usually buy a monitor once and stick with it for a very long time.
You might want to throw a few more bucks at it to get a better one now instead of buying another one later.

On 2015-12-12 at 9:29 AM, Ginpanther said:

I'm pretty far behind on what the latest metrics are to follow for GPU or RAM or monitors, so I'll defer to somebody who is up to date on those types of things.

On the power supply, I think you made a good choice going with a "modular" power supply. It is much easier to manage the spaghetti by being able to only put in the power lines you need versus trying to find a place to tuck the ones you're not using. Having "breathing room" on the wattage of the PSU is beneficial in one basic way: you can add more peripherals at a later time without having to do a rip and replace. If it's a reputable brand (I think EVGA falls in that category) and is made with any quality, the PSU has a number of over and under-voltage safety protections that will shut the rig down before components are damaged. In closing,it's not about having "extra power on tap for sudden draw" so much as just future-proofing against a new, hungrier video card or additional SSD.

Invest in some velcro hook and loop cable ties to help manage the various cables (power, SATA, header feeds, etc.) inside the case and anchor them for ease of bundling. Do not crimp the cables by getting overzealous in your wrapping and pulling them so tight that bend radius is violated. Ideally you'll have cabling that is "just long enough" to reach its destination without being too taut, but... that's sort of a fantasy land that almost nobody lives in.

Pff, cable management is for ninnies...

566e7672e289b_20151214_0053231.thumb.jpg

SSD's are better off flapping in the breeze, anyway. They get to be free that way.

566e76bfc79c5_20151214_0053491.thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrecker

On 12/13/2015 at 9:01 AM, 6tails said:

Ditch the GeForce GTX 970 - I don't know why anybody is still trying to buy one of those after nVidia got hit with a class-action suit at the beginning of the year

Because they're still good cards for the price and last I saw they had fixed the issue. I have one and I have no issues or regrets.

47 minutes ago, 6tails said:

No driver on the planet can fix a physical problem of this nature unless that driver change purposefully forces ignoring that last half-gig of memory in its entirety.

6tails is right. The GTX 970 can use up to 4 GB of VRAM but beyond 3.5 GB it will have significant slowdowns or even micro stutters.
But even 3.5 is 1.5 more than whats considered "enough" to run current games... mostly.

GTA V, Watch Dogs, Shadow of Mordor, even Skyrim running some UHD texture mods can easily eat up to 4GB.
Here's a rule of thumb: Open world games are memory eaters. Ego Shooters are usually very memory efficient.

But the GTX 970 is still a very nice card and if you can endure skipping 'ultra' textures (or high AA) it will easily run even the above mentioned memory eaters and future games fluidly.

If you're not running 4K then it's really hard to beat the GTX 970. The comparable AMD card, in both performance and price, is the R9 390, and it draws roughly 20% more power under load. All of these cards have been benchmarked to hell and back, so you can get a good idea of they will perform at your preferred resolution and settings.

9 hours ago, Luccus said:

6tails is right. The GTX 970 can use up to 4 GB of VRAM but beyond 3.5 GB it will have significant slowdowns or even micro stutters.
But even 3.5 is 1.5 more than whats considered "enough" to run current games... mostly.

GTA V, Watch Dogs, Shadow of Mordor, even Skyrim running some UHD texture mods can easily eat up to 4GB.
Here's a rule of thumb: Open world games are memory eaters. Ego Shooters are usually very memory efficient.

But the GTX 970 is still a very nice card and if you can endure skipping 'ultra' textures (or high AA) it will easily run even the above mentioned memory eaters and future games fluidly.

The important thing to take from this is that this did not affect any benchmark results.  NVidia wasn't cheating benchmarks, so all the data in the countless benchmarking reviews of these cards that people use to make purchasing decisions by consumers are still entirely reliable.  Maybe it HURTS the benchmarking results but they're still accurate.

4 hours ago, 6tails said:

You can't fix the issue, it's a physical problem inherent directly in the architecture change as the memory is physically segmented and is actually configured differently from the GTX980. No driver on the planet can fix a physical problem of this nature unless that driver change purposefully forces ignoring that last half-gig of memory in its entirety.

Well I'm no expert so I won't try to debate it, all I know is I've not had issues yet. I don't run 4k resolution though, so maybe that's why. Ultra on all of my games so far has been no issue. R6S claims to use 4005MB of 4008MB now that they've come out with the ultra textures, which is the first time I think I've pushed past the 3500MB mark where the problems are supposed to start. If problems arise, it looks pretty good on even low settings, so going back to high won't be a problem. The few matches I've played so far on ultra have been fine, I'm not really noticing anything different tbh. They removed the in-game FPS counter last patch so I dunno what I'm getting anymore, which is a bummer. Will need to get an external program to tell me for sure. All I know is it seems to work pretty well, so even if I lost a few FPS, it's more than playable.

Hey bro, the GTX 660 is nothing to scoff at just yet! Only reason I upgraded from mine was because of Ark. R6S probably would have forced my hand too if not for Ark, but at least R6S looks fine on lowest settings whereas Ark looks like trash on anything less that high. Every other game I had ran fine on max on it. You might not get away with ultra for modern games, but it's not a bad card (yet). I'd never tell anyone to buy one nowadays as a replacement for whatever garbage they have, but anyone who has one can stretch it a bit farther yet before needing to consider an upgrade (this also assumes ultra isn't a necessity for you in games, not everyone needs it).

Edited by Kinare

• 2 weeks later...

I think that is a pretty neat build, I was thinking about something similar when I was shopping for upgrade parts!

However, I realized that going for a Skylake socket 1151 i5 with 16gb of DDR4 RAM instead of a socket 1150 CPU with DDR3 RAM costs pretty much the same :3

So today I ordered an i5 6500, 16gb of DDR4-2133 from Crucial and an ASRock B150 PRO4/3.1 S1151 Board. The i5 6500 is very slightly more powerful than the i5-4690, so all in all that is more power for pretty much the same money. The ASRock board has no M.2 SSD slot though, but as a socket 1151 board it does have USB 3.1 with one A and one C port. But there are alternatives.

Ok I'm seriously pissed off now. All components came but no! Wait! They forgot the motherfucking case! Incompetent bastards. There better be a goddamn good reason for this setback

11 minutes ago, Amiir said:

Ok I'm seriously pissed off now. All components came but no! Wait! They forgot the motherfucking case! Incompetent bastards. There better be a goddamn good reason for this setback

Who needs cases?
0YG6r8A.jpg

Seriously though, they shouldn't be forgetting to send you parts.
I hope you get some sort of compensation for it.

Just now, george99g said:

Seriously though, they shouldn't be forgetting to send you parts.
I hope you get some sort of compensation for it.

Lol I considered building it without the case but maybe, just maybe it's better not to do that

And I'm afraid I won't have any kind of compensation. I'll only have to contact the company, tell them what happened and wait some more, and no kind of compensation can give that extra wasted time back to me. Suxx : /

Naa, just wait for the case. A PC without a case is just a huge hassle and if worse comes to worst you end up breaking something.

I know how you feel though. I HATE waiting for packages! I ordered my new GPU on Monday on Amazon, I have Prime so I expected it to arrive today since I ordered it directly from Amazon. But then after I ordered I noticed that it says it's supposed to arrive on Thurday! WAT!?

Anyway, I hope your case arrives soon! What are the components you ordered? Same as you wrote up there? Again, that's pretty neat! The GTX 970 will be great. I went with a GTX 960 instead, that's enough power for me. I don't need antialiasing and if I can play games on medium settings for the next couple of years I'm gonna be just fine :3

Anyway, as I said above I would have gone for a Skylake platform instead. The i5 6500 or 6600 are both a little faster than the i5 4690 and the PC-2133 DDR4 RAM that my mainboard supports is also faster than PC-1600 DDR3 RAM. But it costs pretty much the same as your socket 1150 hardware! When it comes to games there probably won't be a noticable difference, but I just think that a Skylake socket 1151 platform would have given you a little more bang for your bucks :3

@6tails Ehhhhh being a first time builder I'd rather have everything safely stored and organized in a case rather than having everything lying around. Better be safe than sorry. Only the case and I'll be good to go! I'm kinda excited, as well as a little anxious. Again, first time builder so there's a good chance I might fuck shit up somehow, though I'm also confident enough that I won't. A little. Kinda

@Käpt'n Well, it's too late to make any changes now I'm afraid. Either way this is a start, I could always upgrade in the future

I ordered stuff from Amazon and from this other store called TaoComputer. Its prices were very good but unfortunately it doesn't have nearly as many items as Amazon has in stock and the delivery is slow. Still, got my GPU, CPU, Mobo and other stuff from them and I have no complaints about those (the items were well packaged and seem to be in good conditions), I'm just really fucking annoyed that they forgot to send me the goddamn case I bought. Ugh

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it. Socket 1151 has other advantages like USB 3.1, but right now I can't even find a card reader to take advantage of that port! xD

That really sucks that they simply forgot about it... If there is one thing I get mad about it's incompetence and people who are wasting my time. So I know very well how you feel.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 6tails said:

Assuming you can constantly output 144 FPS.

A monitor with FreeSync would be better.

You don't have to. Visually there's a huge difference even between 60 and 90 FPS.
B.t.w. a GTX 970 is a card which is gonna put more than 90 FPS on the screen in a lot of currently played games.

Also: Pretty much all 144Hz Monitors will produce a sharper less blurry image than most 60 Hz Monitors.

Edited by Luccus
replaced 'current games' with 'currently played games.'