Have you ever sorted out your Steam library?

Sourdough

Like the title says, have you ever sorted out your Steam library?

After the latest waste-your-money-athon I decided to categorise my games, see what ran decently and what I actually enjoyed. TO MY ETERNAL SURPRISE, a significant amount of games in my library are, by my standards, complete balls. All in all the numbers look like this:

• Games that don't run: 14
  • Games that are 'complete balls': 27
  • Games I actually like: 44

So what about you lot?

Just counted and I have 25 categories for my games, for genres and then series that have more than three games.  I like to keep my things organized.  I haven't really been keeping up with it too well, and I haven't fixed it since Steam finally allowed games to be added to multiple categories.

I have a 'hidden' category which is full of otherwise crappy games I'll never touch. Does that count? I've never really bothered to completely organize it

I hope you haven't put Bad Rats in that category, that game is a masterpiece chiseled by the gods.

Edited by YuukiSkywolf

Yep. Even despite doing so, it can be hard to sift through at times. 215 games is too many (not including the few I have linked to Steam from outside of it).

Untitled_2.jpg

The first and last are part of Steam by default. XOther is just demos/betas. ZFinished is as it implies, games that I've finished get removed from favs and their main category and are tossed here instead so they're out of my way. I try to use Favorites only for games I really want to play or for games that are the first in a series. It's a bit cluttered right now though...

Edited by Kinare

I have three lists I made for specific games and the rest are unsorted so far because I don't care about them.

I have a favorites list that's just games I frequently play, a "Play These Now" list for games that I need to remember to play/finish, and a Mountain Dew list for the few Call of Duty games I actually own.

I tried, but I wasn't sure how to sort them so they ended up as a mess again.

How can you sort something by genre when so many games are multi-genre? Where the fuck do I put Borderlands, for example? Or ArmA?

You can put them in multiple categories at once. That's what I do, because sometimes I feel like playing a certain type of game.

I have 100-something games in my library, meticulously organized. I probably spend more time deciding what to play than actually playing, even with all the organization.

It's the only thing in my life I've organized so obsessively...

• Like 1

You can put them in multiple categories at once. That's what I do, because sometimes I feel like playing a certain type of game.

I have 100-something games in my library, meticulously organized. I probably spend more time deciding what to play than actually playing, even with all the organization.

It's the only thing in my life I've organized so obsessively...

I think my steam library would cause you an immeasurable amount of pain, 100+ games and I've never once organised it :S

For me I just put them in whatever category I think I will most likely be in the mood for when I want to play it, if that makes any sense. Using the Borderlands example, that's under "Shooter" for me because when I'm in the mood for an RPG I'm not even considering Borderlands as a possibility, I would only consider playing it if I was in the mood for a shooter. The only place I've generalized a bit more is the "Survival & SIM" category. Technically speaking if it's survival it's also a simulator, so in that way they cross over. However, some sim games are not also survival, so eventually I will probably split that category up, especially since it's my biggest one and doomed to get bigger.

It's been interesting reading how everyone sorts their junk.

For those that would find it USEFUL, Valve have just added a feature that lets you permanently remove games from your account. I'm using it to get rid of the bundle trash I've accumulated.

can you remove and then give those games to people? Cause that'd be pretty useful.

I've only got like 12 games and they're all amazing. Problem is they all ran on now scrapped desktop around 2007-2010, and my current garbage laptop can handle like 2 of them.

can you remove and then give those games to people? Cause that'd be pretty useful.

I've only got like 12 games and they're all amazing. Problem is they all ran on now scrapped desktop around 2007-2010, and my current garbage laptop can handle like 2 of them.

No, unfortunately. I imagine it'd be too easy to exploit.

You have 14 games that don't work??? Why?

ive had my steam account since 2006 I think. They all worked on my last machine. I'm just living in relative squalor right now and using the world's worst laptop, so I'm limited to FTL and Counter Strike atm

No, unfortunately. I imagine it'd be too easy to exploit.

ya somehow i figured capital wouldn't abide that

• 2 weeks later...

Another update, over the last week I've been removing and refunding what I can in an attempt to order my little world. Steam have been surprisingly lenient with refunds, I've gotten a few from games I bought several months ago. If there are any games you'd like your money back on just be persistent (and obviously don't play it).

In the end there was so little left I had interest in I just requested that Steam support close my account. Gaming be damned, I've got other interests. My wallet will thank me at least.

5 hours ago, Chaosmasterdelta said:

I only have 1 game that isnt free (Terraria)

And you have been fiending on it, last I saw.

3 minutes ago, Luca said:

I actually don't have a large amount of shit games if you can believe it, most of it's good stuff.

I have trouble believing anything on the internet. How many Sakura games do you own? :u

7 minutes ago, Sourdough said:

It was free, but you still had to choose to download it. You dirty dawg~

As if I'd ever play any game in which you try to date woman. They need to get out of my homoerotic hobby and back to the scrap booking forums or whatever. :v

I have sort them like this

image.jpg

Self-explained, however To Play Again are mostly single-player game that going to play again even End.

So, Bin are most of stuff I'm not going to play, while Games (default) are considering To Play or Bin.

Edited by KrysleQuinsen
Broken Link

• 2 months later...

Good late morning, folks!

I think I have between forty and fifty games in my Steam Library, amassed (per se) over the last eleven years, starting with the contents of the Half-Life 2: Collector's Edition my Da bought me for my birthday in 2004. (That would include Half Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, and eventually Portal, although that was a freebie tacked on a couple of years later.) Aside from perhaps 4 that were gifts, all of them either have their own installation discs or were bought with them (and downloaded through Steam) in physical form...I'm still leery about digital 'estates', and dammit, I lurve my fat and happy game shelf! o_o

As to actually organizing them, it's pretty much just alphabetical (no folders, at least not yet); I don't know if it's having a better memory than I thought I did or dumb luck, but I seem to have a handle on which games are in my Steam Library proper, and which ones on my shelf are also default to Steam for playing.

-2Paw.