I like how blunt Rick Riordan is

Vallium

So basically I was at the library the other day and I found lone of the Olympus series offshoot books Rick Riordan writes, this one is kind of just a retelling of common Greek stories.

WP_20151217_10_49_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.fe69d

Out of curiosity I open it up and read the first passage

WP_20151217_10_49_31_Pro.thumb.jpg.1c77e

Hahaha! I like how he openly admits in the intro the publishers made him do it since he's so successful and openly admits to selling out, aha!

Well hey, he gets pizza. I don't blame him. But now I sure as hell don't have any interest in his newer stuff

Sad to say tons of authors with some good books do eventually sell out for the cash. But they get paid, so yeah.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Luka said:

You'd rather be lied to? I like that guy.

If you're referring to me I wasn't being sarcastic. I liked it found it funny that he openly admitted in the first passage what he was doing rather than most people who market BS as if it was good. He's basically saying "Yeah the publishers pressured me and I sold out but I make a damn good living so okay"

Not that I enjoy the fact that he sold out on his work, but y'know, they call it selling out for a reason so good for him kind of

37 minutes ago, Conker said:

As an unpublished author, I'd sell out in a heartbeat. All you need is one or two big books and you can write whatever the fuck you want.

Its a choice between only producing quality content but not reaching notoriety or wealth, or being obnoxiously 'out there' with low quality. We're talking FNAF levels of sellout. But for all the people complaining the creators are the ones who are lining their pockets.

I respect their business ventures, anyone who hates is just jealous theyre rich :P

It's pretty shameful that if something sells you have to flood and inundate every corner and aspect of America with it at once in order to be a clever businessperson. That shit should just not fly at all - consumers should, when shown a new product or sees something hyped, should INSTINCTIVELY reject it and everything to do with it. Nobody who wants to sell you shit is doing it because it's actually a really good product and they respect you - they literally just want your money and are selling you bottled dog turds mixed with glitter to get it. 

2 minutes ago, AlexInsane said:

It's pretty shameful that if something sells you have to flood and inundate every corner and aspect of America with it at once in order to be a clever businessperson. That shit should just not fly at all - consumers should, when shown a new product or sees something hyped, should INSTINCTIVELY reject it and everything to do with it. Nobody who wants to sell you shit is doing it because it's actually a really good product and they respect you - they literally just want your money and are selling you bottled dog turds mixed with glitter to get it. 

I dont know how things with awful notoriety get so much profit. Stupid people exist, I guess. You've got a big name thats all you need and after that people will buy anything.

I dontthink its clever, its just useful to them in being able to make a living, money is a good motivator and anyone who's not prideful or on high standards would seize the opportunity to use their name to output bad work,

Not to say all people do this, plenty of great works have died off in popularity unless you look back and remember they were once popular and still are good content, and not having new content to continue it

1 hour ago, AlexInsane said:

Well yeah, making sure everyone knows your product exists does equate to being a good business person. It's annoying for the consumer, but it also tends to work. People can't buy something if they don't know it's there.

I don't believe any product should be "instinctively rejected" either. There's a lot of shit out there, but that doesn't mean you should be in cynical mode 100% of the time. To live that way would be pretty awful.

24 minutes ago, Conker said:

Well yeah, making sure everyone knows your product exists does equate to being a good business person. It's annoying for the consumer, but it also tends to work. People can't buy something if they don't know it's there.

I don't believe any product should be "instinctively rejected" either. There's a lot of shit out there, but that doesn't mean you should be in cynical mode 100% of the time. To live that way would be pretty awful.

I'm probably jaded because I work in retail, but to me, when something is "New!" or "New and Improved!", it just makes me sneer at it. It's not new, it's not innovative. They change the color or the scent or the method of delivery or the fit or some other characteristic, and they have the nerve to fob this off as something new, oftentimes at double the price of the 'old' product? 

On a totally unrelated side note, I don't understand why we have twenty types of every possible canned good available. With salt, without salt, with herbs, with herbs but minus salt, sliced, diced, peeled, roasted, pickled, turned upside down and inside out and riding on a pony. We already know that salt and fat has a negative effect on the human body - shouldn't things with salt and fat in them be done away with? Yes, they're not as TASTY without those, but they're BETTER. And chances are good that we'd adapt to a world that has canned tomatoes without salt in them. We can add our own damn salt if we feel like it, and probably not as much as what's used currently. 

The Percy Jackson books are on par with the Hunger Games books in terms of writing style---by my standards, that means, "Meh, needed a better editor"---but Suzanne Collins and Rick Riordan seem to be totally on the level as people.

I appreciate how Rick Riordan set out to de-stigmatize learning disabilities like dyslexia in the Percy Jackson series. How he went about that was arguably a little wonky and phlebotinumy, but I appreciate the effort and intention.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AlexInsane said:

I'm probably jaded because I work in retail, but to me, when something is "New!" or "New and Improved!", it just makes me sneer at it. It's not new, it's not innovative. They change the color or the scent or the method of delivery or the fit or some other characteristic, and they have the nerve to fob this off as something new, oftentimes at double the price of the 'old' product? 

On a totally unrelated side note, I don't understand why we have twenty types of every possible canned good available. With salt, without salt, with herbs, with herbs but minus salt, sliced, diced, peeled, roasted, pickled, turned upside down and inside out and riding on a pony. We already know that salt and fat has a negative effect on the human body - shouldn't things with salt and fat in them be done away with? Yes, they're not as TASTY without those, but they're BETTER. And chances are good that we'd adapt to a world that has canned tomatoes without salt in them. We can add our own damn salt if we feel like it, and probably not as much as what's used currently. 

That makes more sense then. I guess I'm more referring to big-named pieces of art, but then I remember Apple and their shit and agree with you 100%. "IT HAS A BIGGER SCREEN THAT WILL BEND IF YOU PUT IT IN YOUR POCKET!"

I mean, the world IS a mess in regards to this.