Rant: light pollution in the city

Calemeyr

Dammit, I just want to see the stars, but because of all the upward light from street lights, thr sky is illuminated blue glow even at 2 in the morning. It's sad, man. I mean, I have this stargazing app, but I can barely use it.

People say they like the city...I hate it. So fake, so little greenery, so much pollution, and damnit is freaking hot in downtown LA! This place is like the Midgar slums, I hate it. At least my apartment is nice and I can see the mountains/cityscape. The campus is nice, too, as are the places to go. But the general atmosphere. Blech.

I can't really see them here as well.

My parents live in a very rural area in the north of Germany. When I went to visit them last year I brought all my camera gear with me to shoot the Milky Way. I went out to a field at like 1am. There still some distant lights at a refinery but still, it was awesome!

We've got sodium vapour lampposts here in Scotland so we get an orange/red glow instead (not sure about the rest of the UK but it's probably the same). Thankfully I live in the suburbs so it's not like I can't see anything at all.

I mean I there's still a tonne of stuff I can't see because obviously there's still light pollution, but it's far from being as bad as it is in in the city centre. There you can probably only see about 100 stars max, whereas out here I'd say it's closer to 1000 with the naked eye. I can see a lot more through my telescope though.

Edited by Sutekh_the_Steak