Making Useful Contributions

DrGravitas

Lunchtime meetings suck, yes its true. Many times they accomplish little and your mind wanders off to thoughts like "I wonder if my necktie can support my fullbody weight." But, for once I managed to make a useful contribution to one of these! A valid, possibly superior, technical solution to a fundamental design issue. While it's hardly my first such solution, it's very rare to have them on-the-fly| especially in a meeting like this. Almost makes the meeting feel useful :V

What are some examples of spur-of-the-moment contributions that you made under adverse conditions that you are proud of?

• Like 3

Hope you're ready to have this solution stolen by your manger with all the credit going to them :V 

As for me I work in the service industry so any idea I may have might be used for a few days before things go back to the way they were    

• Like 1

I made a useful contribution at a meeting once.

"Hey, just pitching this idea, but how about a necktie that can support a person's full body weight?"
"You're in charge of production, buddy. We're gonna be rich."

And that's how I became this rich coke-addicted ginger with 5 floozies all hovering around me that look like Joan Rivers mixed with Rosie O'Donell. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had to break up a fistfight at my last job, on my very first day. It was at a community center, between two grown-ass men and a pregnant woman. I have no idea how I did it, since I'm 5'3" and a weakling. But I got a lot of kudos for that from my co-workers, and I'm pretty proud that nobody got hurt.

My secret was to talk to them as if they were not fighting, holding them back and guiding them towards the door with an airline attendant voice. "And now we're walking towards the door, okay? We're walking towards the door, and we're going to talk to Sarah, okay? That's good. That's good." The assailant was pretty disarmed by that, like he was expecting me to fight back, not coo to him like everything was fine.

• Like 1

I usually have at least one or two ideas about every subject I have some amount of knowledge on.

I simply toss them out into the open, in case the other person wants them.
If they want to utilize my observations, they can. If they don't, they don't. It doesn't mean much to me, either way.

But I've had a number of people come to me for advice on their issues, simply because that's what I'm good at.

• Like 2