Record Player!

GamingGal

Now that I've properly introduced myself again, you shall now be subjected to my ramblings xD

You guys. I bought the most awesome antique record player. It's from the 1960's and is on cute little wooden legs and looks like a coffee table and it still works fantastically. The speaker on the right seems to be blown, but otherwise it works like a charm. I've been wanting one forever and now I have one and my heart is so happy. I've been snatching up records all over the place the past two weeks and just laying on the couch and listening to all the good ole stuff. Orchestras, instrumentals, singers from all genres, it's so nice. And it has that slightly scratchy background noise that ahhhhhh it sounds so beautiful. I wish people liked this stuff more.

I swear my soul is from some other time period.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, #00Buck said:

Ugh the obsolete music format craze is such bullshit. 

Sometimes shitty sound makes thing sound better. I mean not always obviously, but it's a stylistic preference that can occasionally make the whole experience in a genuine, legitimately not-at-all hipsterish way. Of course I wouldn't spend god knows how much on a record player and a bunch of vinyls, but if I had the choice for certain things it'd be nice.

Kinda like owning one of those cool-looking old cars that are prone to violently exploding the moment you lightly tap a garbage bin or something.

13 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

Any pictures of it to share?

There's a video of it. It's super adorable

3 hours ago, Zytan said:

I'll never understand why people play techno/dance/house/etc/etc from analogue, it was originally digital anyway.  Guess the novelty's always quaint though.

You see, I don't play techno/dance/whatever on my record player. I buy records that are actual records from back when it was the only way to listen to music. I have all kinds of stuff right now. Bach, Debussy, The Beach Boys, Santana, Tchaikovsky, and a lot of musicals.

4 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Sometimes shitty sound makes thing sound better. I mean not always obviously, but it's a stylistic preference that can occasionally make the whole experience in a genuine, legitimately not-at-all hipsterish way. Of course I wouldn't spend god knows how much on a record player and a bunch of vinyls, but if I had the choice for certain things it'd be nice.

Kinda like owning one of those cool-looking old cars that are prone to violently exploding the moment you lightly tap a garbage bin or something.

Thank you, someone gets it! For me, it's a complete stylistic preference. I prefer the way it sounds over most of the music today. I actually even prefer older record players to the new ones they have started making. I didn't even spend a lot on this record player ($46) and most records I get at antique stores are $1 each. It's really nice.

I like vinyl because of the nice sleeves that show off album art. I have original vinyl of Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, and Maiden Japan. Iron Maiden has the coolest album covers.

As of newer pressings, I got a reprint of Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? and picture vinyl of the Crobot EP Full Moon Howl.

We also have lots of vintage records in the living room, everything from Alice Cooper to Testament. Our record player is much newer though.

Edited by LazerMaster5
  • Like 1