Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

TrishaCat

I think this may be the best or second best Metal Gear game. I beat it recently and its just so well done. Its short yeah, but the characters are really memorable and there's so many hype over-the-top fights with really well done controllable action gameplay. The music is awesome too. Please tell me you guys have played it. Even if you aren't a Metal Gear fan, its worth it. I didn't really have trust in Platinum as a game company before this, but it turns out they're a really solid team and it almost makes me want to play Bayonetta. You guys have played it, right? Do you have a favorite boss? Favorite song? 

Monsoon is best boss.

235460_2016-01-12_00003.thumb.png.28944b235460_2016-01-13_00007.thumb.png.3364cb

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 1

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

please tell me your kidding right? Metal gear rising is crap compared to the rest of the series. Raiden has been nothing but complete garbage ever since mgs4 in an attempt to make him edgey and cool. The bosses are un-memorable compared to the rest of the series. The flashy fighting only really keeps its appeal until you fight the dumb ass chain saw dog when you realise how broken the block technique is. Oh......and the plot is shit.....like more shit than phantom pain and that game really suffered from lack of story.

If you want a near perfect metal gear game my recommendation would be snake eater mgs3. Its a slow start but once you get start to get into it a few hours later it gets really fun.

I'm a huge fan of MGS and Platinum Games in general and this game is Pure  Platinum

I love how they handled it, ditching an overly serious tone for over the top nonsense. Plot is big dumb footnote in this game and I don't care. It feels so good. I love my classic MGS but this goofy, fun spin off is so strong and I love it. I can't fault people for not being into character action games, but as far as I'm concerned, I would trust Platinum with another Metal Gear game before anyone else they try to hand one to after Kojima.

Please look forward to the TMNT game to be announced soon. I know I am.

Edited by Luca

The jump from hard to very hard was certainly a surprise, chapter 1, couple of trash guys coming up aaaaand gorilla... I'd play the game to death if it didn't insist I mash the left stick left and right.  Moment that bullshit comes up I just take the blow because quite frankly I deserve it xD

That's a weird coincidence since I was just listening to the music from this game. :V

This was my first metal gear game and I fucking loved it. It was goofy as shit and I was pretty much laughing the entire time during the final boss. I get why people wouldn't like it but it was fucking great.

It also made me wanna pick up the other metal gear games even though I know the tone is completely different. Got 5 when it was half off the other day and I've been hooked.

3 hours ago, Mentova said:

That's a weird coincidence since I was just listening to the music from this game. :V

This was my first metal gear game and I fucking loved it. It was goofy as shit and I was pretty much laughing the entire time during the final boss. I get why people wouldn't like it but it was fucking great.

It also made me wanna pick up the other metal gear games even though I know the tone is completely different. Got 5 when it was half off the other day and I've been hooked.

You should give 2 a go, it introduces Raiden (think it's his first appearance anyway).  It starts off o so innocent and gets quite dark at the end.  Oh, and don't play it on european extreme unless you've got a tapping hand the speed of a vibrator.

Edited by Zytan

On 1/28/2016 at 9:02 AM, Zytan said:

You should give 2 a go, it introduces Raiden (think it's his first appearance anyway).  It starts off o so innocent and gets quite dark at the end.  Oh, and don't play it on european extreme unless you've got a tapping hand the speed of a vibrator.

I couldn't get over the fixed camera angles in MGS2, personally, which wasn't addressed in the HD version. Pretty much killed the game for me =/ heh.

I love MGR. It's fun, ridiculous, with great music, and unlike what some people say, I think the bosses were interesting and memorable. That's really all I have to say about it. It's great

10 hours ago, ChaosCalix said:

I couldn't get over the fixed camera angles in MGS2, personally, which wasn't addressed in the HD version. Pretty much killed the game for me =/ heh.

I love MGR. It's fun, ridiculous, with great music, and unlike what some people say, I think the bosses were interesting and memorable. That's really all I have to say about it. It's great

Yeah the camera angles do make things awkward, at the time I played it 3 wasn't a thing so it was to be expected.  Think after completing Dante Must Die mode on DMC1 I was the master of running on the spot due to camera transitions :S

15 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I still haven't played Memevengence.

I should probably fix that...but I also want to keep sitting here being a useless sack of shit. Choices...

But.. playing video games doesn't get you anywhere in life*! So why not both? :V

*unless you're paid to do it.. you lucky shit

5 minutes ago, ChaosCalix said:

What are you talking about? That was just a friendly mexican civilian, not a killer cyborg.

"They're kidnapping kids and like harvesting organs and shit and they're like totes evil!"

*Literally 30 seconds later*

"Adios Amigos~!"

For some reason I underestimated the sheer levels of unbridled insanity and absurdity that a Kojima/Platinum collab could produce, and I haven't even seen the best parts yet. God bless Nippon you fuckin' weirdos.

• Like 1

Beat the game last night, it was short as hell though. Parrying is a pain in the ass purely due to the inherent vagueness of where the game defines where an enemy is, as well as the fact that parrying multiple rapid attacks (ie. Sam's barrage of slashes during his fight) always seemed inconsistent due to how weird it was to have the constantly 'flick' the stick in one direction. Of course, I could also just suck which is fine since that unlockable dodge skill is hilariously OP once I realized how to use it.

Still fun as fuck though, not as good as Bayonetta imo (but really what is) but that's irrelevant because it's a Metal Gear game and you can dress up as a Mariachi in it. Now I just gotta play through the DLC, probably replay the game on hard, and maybe finish up all the VR missions. Memes/10 

3 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Still fun as fuck though, not as good as Bayonetta imo (but really what is) but that's irrelevant because it's a Metal Gear game and you can dress up as a Mariachi in it. Now I just gotta play through the DLC, probably replay the game on hard, and maybe finish up all the VR missions. Memes/10 

You can also wear a suit. Fighting Senator Armstrong while wearing a suit is hilarious. It's like an epic presidential battle or some shit. Also, imo, DLC doesn't quite live up to the main game....

And yeah, the parrying is something you generally just get better at as you play. Though it still occasionally feels inconsistent, but it's always the same attacks that feel that way, you just get good at using the dodge to avoid those and it stops being an issue.

Oh, and pro tip: Sundowner's Machetes are fucking beautiful when you upgrade them completely. On some bosses, they can save you 20~ seconds.

1 hour ago, ChaosCalix said:

You can also wear a suit. Fighting Senator Armstrong while wearing a suit is hilarious. It's like an epic presidential battle or some shit. Also, imo, DLC doesn't quite live up to the main game....

And yeah, the parrying is something you generally just get better at as you play. Though it still occasionally feels inconsistent, but it's always the same attacks that feel that way, you just get good at using the dodge to avoid those and it stops being an issue.

Oh, and pro tip: Sundowner's Machetes are fucking beautiful when you upgrade them completely. On some bosses, they can save you 20~ seconds.

Well the place I got it from included the DLC so it's no biggie. I'm playing through Jetmeme Sam's story and it's pretty baller. The third VR mission is fucking awful though, shit never fucking ends. Haven't played Wolf's yet though.

I never bothered with any of the unique weapons so I'll check those out.

5 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Well the place I got it from included the DLC so it's no biggie. I'm playing through Jetmeme Sam's story and it's pretty baller. The third VR mission is fucking awful though, shit never fucking ends. Haven't played Wolf's yet though.

I never bothered with any of the unique weapons so I'll check those out.

PC version came with all DLC included for free, which was pretty cool. And Wolf's one sucks outside of the backstory, outside of the final boss of it, honestly. It's interesting playing as him for a little while, but, yeah, not something I'd personally go back to after S ranking. Definitely the weakest of the three (DLC and Main).

Unique weapons are pretty damn good once you figure out their niche, but there's thankfully still a lot of cases where your heavy attacks with your sword are better. I'm glad they didn't ruin the game by making one of them objectively better.

Also if you want to hilariously break the game buy the fox sword and get the special upgrade for it. It lets it chop up any enemy as if it was the basic grunts so you don't even need to break their armor or anything. Its hilarious to just run up to a gekko and chop its legs off instantly.

2 minutes ago, Mentova said:

Also if you want to hilariously break the game buy the fox sword and get the special upgrade for it. It lets it chop up any enemy as if it was the basic grunts so you don't even need to break their armor or anything. Its hilarious to just run up to a gekko and chop its legs off instantly.

Well I mean you are Grey Fox basically. You ever play MGS1? Crazy bastard doesn't fuck around.

Just now, Mentova said:

I've only played rising and 5 :C

You never played MGS3!?! What the hell is wrong with you?

Go download a PS2 emulator right now and play that shit since it's literally one of the best games ever made. Just be sure to play the re-release since it fixes the originals crap camera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mentova said:

Yeah, if you're a talentless loser who can't fight :V

Sorry for making this thread and then just vanishing into the abyss. I've been distracted.

On 1/26/2016 at 2:18 AM, shadowsinhiding said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

please tell me your kidding right? Metal gear rising is crap compared to the rest of the series. Raiden has been nothing but complete garbage ever since mgs4 in an attempt to make him edgey and cool. The bosses are un-memorable compared to the rest of the series. The flashy fighting only really keeps its appeal until you fight the dumb ass chain saw dog when you realise how broken the block technique is. Oh......and the plot is shit.....like more shit than phantom pain and that game really suffered from lack of story.

If you want a near perfect metal gear game my recommendation would be snake eater mgs3. Its a slow start but once you get start to get into it a few hours later it gets really fun.

I didn't really like Raiden in 4 either. I felt they ruined him from his 2 self and made him into some overpowered "cool" cyborg. But I felt that Rising helped improve him as a character and made him likable again, since the whole game was about him and you really got to see what goes on in his mind and what sort of internal struggles he suffers through, especially since the story was relevant to his past, what with the cyborg children and all.

...There's a block technique in MGR? I know you can parry if you attack at just the right moment as your opponent, and if you press two buttons at once you can dodge, but blocking?

And come on man. The boss fights range from one where you run down the side of a building and cut a metal gear in half to fighting a cyborg that can split his body into parts and dodge attacks while attacking you on two fronts. How is that not memorable? And what's wrong with the plot? I mean yeah, its a lot simpler than other Metal Gear games, and perhaps The Senator's goals weren't all that clear, but it at least kept up its pacing, as opposed to The Phantom Pain where you spend several missions in the desert just rescuing people and/or doing other innocuous things that aren't relevant to the plot at all. I like 3 though.

On 1/28/2016 at 10:24 AM, Mentova said:

5 must be a very strange place to start. I've played 2, 4, Rising, and now 5 and still feel confused. I feel like it NEEDS 3, Peacewalker, and maybe 1 in order to make more sense. I'm glad you're enjoying them though!

On 2/4/2016 at 0:54 PM, PastryOfApathy said:

Beat the game last night, it was short as hell though. Parrying is a pain in the ass purely due to the inherent vagueness of where the game defines where an enemy is, as well as the fact that parrying multiple rapid attacks (ie. Sam's barrage of slashes during his fight) always seemed inconsistent due to how weird it was to have the constantly 'flick' the stick in one direction. Of course, I could also just suck which is fine since that unlockable dodge skill is hilariously OP once I realized how to use it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I should really get Bayonetta. This is the only Platinum game I've ever played. The VR missions are pretty cool in MGR though. You get to play as Blade Wolf!

8 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

5 must be a very strange place to start. I've played 2, 4, Rising, and now 5 and still feel confused. I feel like it NEEDS 3, Peacewalker, and maybe 1 in order to make more sense. I'm glad you're enjoying them though!

I

It is an odd place but I've read up on some info about the games so I'm not totally lost, lol.

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I should really get Bayonetta. This is the only Platinum game I've ever played. The VR missions are pretty cool in MGR though. You get to play as Blade Wolf!

MGS3 was the first one I played, and I've only played (and finished) 4 and Rising since then, and much of it makes sense to me. The others would help, but I feel like 3 and 4 together make a LOT of the story understandable if you pay attention to the dialogue and cutscenes.

Also, I'd recommend Vanquish, as well. Third person shooter made by Platinum with a story arguably as absurd as MGR.

Welp I'm currently trying to S-rank everything on Revengence mode (without out-right cheating with wigs and shit). I got missions 1 and 2 down and I'm almost done with mission 3. Also unrelated, Monsoon can suck my dick.

On 2/6/2016 at 2:16 PM, Battlechili said:

If you like MGSR you'll absolutely adore Bayonetta. You can get it reasonably cheap too now so there's zero reason not to. Also it features some of the greatest cutscenes of all time. Seriously if you think MSGR was absurd, you need to see the wack-o shit that goes on in Bayonetta.

1 hour ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Welp I'm currently trying to S-rank everything on Revengence mode (without out-right cheating with wigs and shit). I got missions 1 and 2 down and I'm almost done with mission 3. Also unrelated, Monsoon can suck my dick.

Just gonna say: Don't even ATTEMPT to no-damage that mission. It requires absurd set up and one screw up will cost you 20~ minutes just to retry. The part before the fight with Monsoon counts, so.. yeah..

Also, Monsoon, ughhh. That fight took me longer than it had any right to, to S-rank

Just gonna say: Don't even ATTEMPT to no-damage that mission. It requires absurd set up and one screw up will cost you 20~ minutes just to retry. The part before the fight with Monsoon counts, so.. yeah..

Also, Monsoon, ughhh. That fight took me longer than it had any right to, to S-rank

I've already gotten to him with no-damage so I'm going all the way. I did it with missions one and 2 (including that godawful boss at the end of two), and I can do it with memesoon. I know I can do it though since I've gotten more or less to the end of his fight, but always fuck up something stupid at the last second when he's poking you with his sai after he chucks that giant ball of shit at you.

Getting a good run and realizing that not a single thing dropped an EMP grenade is literally worse than cancer though. Especially since it's almost impossible to chop up all the things he throws at you without getting smacked in the face after the first round or so.

4 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Getting a good run and realizing that not a single thing dropped an EMP grenade is literally worse than cancer though. Especially since it's almost impossible to chop up all the things he throws at you without getting smacked in the face after the first round or so.

Are you standing too close to him? Standing further back gives you a tiny bit more time to hit everything. I personally never have issues with that aside from the rare screw up.

Also, my memory MIGHT be faulty here, but the Sai secondary can stun him if I recall correctly, like EMPs

18 minutes ago, ChaosCalix said:

Are you standing too close to him? Standing further back gives you a tiny bit more time to hit everything. I personally never have issues with that aside from the rare screw up.

Also, my memory MIGHT be faulty here, but the Sai secondary can stun him if I recall correctly, like EMPs

I dunno, I've tried staying pretty far back but still get blown up. Aw well, it's safer to just run anyways.

29 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Yes. Yes I did.

prove in chapter select? o-O
Because that chapter is a load of horse shit (fire extinguisher method takes forever, and doing it without that is pure luck)

Also, no acknowledgement of me answering your "No more memes" with a reference to another meme? You hurt me something awful </3

Edited by ChaosCalix

9 minutes ago, ChaosCalix said:

prove in chapter select? o-O
Because that chapter is a load of horse shit (fire extinguisher method takes forever, and doing it without that is pure luck)

Also, no acknowledgement of me answering your "No more memes" with a reference to another meme? You hurt me something awful </3

Sorry, I feel like shit atm. Also it apparently didn't save since fml.

13 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Sorry, I feel like shit atm. Also it apparently didn't save since fml.

You can still S Rank / No Damage every fight and not get No Damage in the level, it's awful. Unless it legit didn't save, in which case, that sucks even more.

I can't QUITE remember what the next BS chapter is.. I think it's chapter 4? Might be 5. Lots of stray bullets flying from nowhere that getting through without getting hit is kinda BS.

3 minutes ago, ChaosCalix said:

You can still S Rank / No Damage every fight and not get No Damage in the level, it's awful. Unless it legit didn't save, in which case, that sucks even more.

I can't QUITE remember what the next BS chapter is.. I think it's chapter 4? Might be 5. Lots of stray bullets flying from nowhere that getting through without getting hit is kinda BS.

Does it have to be in a single go without restarting to checkpoints or anything?

EDIT: Actually I even then I didn't get a no-damage run since I think I got hit by a single bullet in a non-ranked fight. Fuck.

Aw well time for a re-do.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

THAT, I don't remember. I'm pretty sure restarting checkpoints is allowed, but that does track your time over all so you'll get a worse time bonus for the level (not like that matters). Don't quote me on that though. inb4 post quoted

Yeah I just redid and made absolutely sure I didn't get hit whatsoever and nothing was different so I guess it doesn't matter.

EDIT: What the shit? I just realized I have a "no damage" marker on mission 1 but nothing else...wat.

EDIT EDIT: Apparently I didn't get it because I accidentally fell off the crane once. Fucking amazing.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

11 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

EDIT EDIT: Apparently I didn't get it because I accidentally fell off the crane once. Fucking amazing.

ahhh, yeah.. THAT counts as damage. That screwed me over at one point too. Resetting to a checkpoint normally doesn't, but because that's a death, it autosaves, I think