Terminal7

Holidays Swaglessness?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Ya' Think?

• Yes
    • No
    • Holidays aren't Real
    • Maybe

I'm just genuinely interested. Nobody cared about Halloween at all, Thanksgiving is another name for free food, Christmas is when kids get their annual* Call of Duty, even Valentines day seems to be gift-giving-from-your-lover day.

That leads me to become more concerned about things like Easter, where little teenage girls would rather suck eggs than paint one. Other religious and cultural holidays have become either no school or no work days, sometimes just excuses to be excluded from work.

Do you think that the value of holidays have been decreasing?

Edited by Terminal7
When the OCD kicks in (Vtec)

9 minutes ago, Terminal7 said:

I'm just genuinely interested. Nobody cared about Halloween at all, Thanksgiving is another name for free food, Christmas is when kids get their yearly Call of Duty, even Valentines day seems to be gift-giving-from-your-lover day.

That leads me to become more concerned about things like Easter, where little teenage girls would rather suck eggs than paint one. Other religious and cultural holidays have become either no school or no work days, sometimes just excuses to be excluded from work.

Do you think that the value of holidays have been decreasing?

Are you kidding me? Even with no money last year for Hallowe'en (because married in October) we still did a fair bit and had tons of trick-or-treaters and it was great. I think you only get this impression if you live with stiffs or work in retail.

27 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

You've just grown up.

Sums it up in one easy to understand sentence.

Really the magic and feel of the holidays gets drained as you age; the magic I try to keep where ever I can, even though I know it was never there to begin with

nobody gives a shit about holidays any more except "for the kids".  but fewer and fewer people bother to do anything, be it decorate or have parties or whatever, even when they do have kids.. and you don't see much holiday mention outside of retail stores doing their usual gross cheap candy at inflated prices thing.  it's not just individuals; malls and public places that used to host parties or put up decorations and such either aren't doing it any more or are doing it half-assed.  holidays have lost their meaning.  also people are too worried about being pc and everybody is a spineless jellybag.  can't do christmas because religion, can't do halloween because scary.  can't pass out homemade treats because razor blades and poison and miniature rape goblins.  there is no sense of community any more because everyone is an entitled little shit, and community is a big part of what makes holidays so magical.  without that, all you have left is corporations selling garbage to exhausted parents.

As the person who always is the one to make the holidays happen for my family every year, I have to say the holidays are what you make of them. If you set out with the mindset to enjoy them and have fun. You will enjoy them and have fun. If you expect it to just happen and merry happy feels to just fall into your lap while you sit on your tush, well.... You're probably gonna have a bad time.

Also alcohol. As a grown up alcohol makes all holidays infinitely better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

As the person who always is the one to make the holidays happen for my family every year, I have to say the holidays are what you make of them. If you set out with the mindset to enjoy them and have fun. You will enjoy them and have fun. If you expect it to just happen and merry happy feels to just fall into your lap while you sit on your tush, well.... You're probably gonna have a bad time.

basically this.

I still get pretty hyped about the holidays even though I've grown out of all the stuff that made holidays fun as a kid. but now I make cosplays for Halloween (or at least try to), Thanksgiving is close to my birthday and I'm on break, and I play games with my family for Christmas. also food. lots of food. and parties

I've never liked V-Day though. back then I didn't like it because I just didn't like making those little cards for everyone in my class. now I don't like it because I'm single and there's usually not a lot to do for singles so it's pretty boring