Musicians' talk

KookyFox

Hey, this section needs more threads, and come on it's gotta have something like this.

So yeah let's just talk about music here, anything really, your likes, your dislikes, your style, your influences; tell us of your latest gig, or of how shit your setup is.

You get the point, let's just exchange around what we like.

Its always such a hassle to put away tho. i dont have my own table so i just plop in on my bed. lol.

and is that free? I only ever use the KONG drum designer built in on my reason 5.0. that with some custom drum samples. Then again, its true that I dont need a beatbox for that. It just sucks that I cant seem to find really awesome guitar samples that play like an actual guitar instead of sounding too emulated.

Ya know, when I see someone that can make a drum machine do a proper drum line that sounds like a person person played it on real drums, and I am impressed. I never had any luck with any software to create backing tracks.

Mind you, I've been playing for almost fifty years and I have supported my family with my music at times.

BTW, I play almost all styles except rap and death metal.

Kel

the current state of musicing for me has been almost entirely all experimentation and careful technical improvement. going to music school gets me involved in a wide range of music from antiquity all the way to contemporary, but this has been leaving a deficiency in jazz (however there are concerts on campus pretty frequently). i've been looking to study more electronic techniques including vgm and the various soundfonts for that, as well as just general program/software knowledge. my "setup" right now is just a laptop, a yamaha dtx, and an alesis Q49. i also got my guitar back and hopefully my six string bass will be returned from the friend i lent it to. 

i dunno. my big thing right now as a musician is to just experience as much as i can so that when i start getting into the real world of music i can enjoy every part of it.

One day I'll get decent recording equipment and actually be able to make music instead of just occasionally (rarely) writing it.

money's a bitch, my amp is dying and I would need one that I can plug into a cab so I can play in bars, but I don't have the money even for a Tiny Terror.

One day I'll get decent recording equipment and actually be able to make music instead of just occasionally (rarely) writing it.

this is part of why i've somewhat given up on live performed music (for now). it's just way harder to get everything run through the right mic, and especially now i'm a drummer with almost none of the equipment i need to mic a kit properly. it would just sound shit no matter what and that just isn't worth it right now.

Lots of jazz musicians! Im more of a  alt-rock guy. I was able to save up some money from my summer job and get a decent interface, some mics, and a DI for my acoustic so im starting to record some covers to get used to it. Its all stuffed into a corner of my dorm room so its a bit cramped but it works :P Hopefully Ill start recording some OC soon! I just played my first "gig" with the new equipment and its so much better than my college's normal setup. They do a bunch of open mic nights where the sound check is usually just plugging in a mic and seeing if it works. It was nice to actually apply some EQ and compression to my vocals and guitar to get a decent sound! I tried to record the audio, but messed up and set it to record from my laptop's built in mic so the quality is terrible :/ I've got another show in october so hopefully that one will work out!

Lots of jazz musicians! Im more of a  alt-rock guy. I was able to save up some money from my summer job and get a decent interface, some mics, and a DI for my acoustic so im starting to record some covers to get used to it. Its all stuffed into a corner of my dorm room so its a bit cramped but it works :P Hopefully Ill start recording some OC soon! I just played my first "gig" with the new equipment and its so much better than my college's normal setup. They do a bunch of open mic nights where the sound check is usually just plugging in a mic and seeing if it works. It was nice to actually apply some EQ and compression to my vocals and guitar to get a decent sound! I tried to record the audio, but messed up and set it to record from my laptop's built in mic so the quality is terrible :/ I've got another show in october so hopefully that one will work out!

That's why I want a tiny terror so bad, just power it, connect it to the bar's 4x12, plug your guitar straight in, there's no EQ to do there, you just spend  2 mins to get te sound you want and rock away!

That's why I want a tiny terror so bad, just power it, connect it to the bar's 4x12, plug your guitar straight in, there's no EQ to do there, you just spend  2 mins to get te sound you want and rock away!

I hadn't heard of those before.... They seem pretty handy from a quick google search! I think i'd need to get an electric first though :P

I'm gonna try practicing the solo of Fade To Black until I can get it down pretty good because I know for sure I can play this solo.

Aside from not having a 22nd fret and all but I can deal with it :B

Edited by Cyril

Cool! I'm an amateur music producer. I love Jazz, RnB, Blues, Rap, HipHop, Country, Bluegrass, Soul, and my all time favorite, Neo-Soul. 

Most the stuff I make are influenced by Jazz, blues, RnB and HipHop. But im trying to get the neo soul vibe in it. 

LOOK AT MY SHIT SETUP!

20150718_173930.jpg

Dat black keyboard, sex on a stick!

• Like 1

I can't really write lyrics or tunes/melodic parts for shit (sometimes some nice little bits of music pop into my head when I'm about to go to sleep and I whistle them and record it on my phone, but not too often), but I can play keyboard/piano to a pretty alright standard if I practice it a lot and also drums, which is my main instrument in music class. I play drums in the school's jazz band and wind band, as well in the school show when we did Hairspray last June. Outside of school stuff I've been in a few rock bands.

I'd say the main sort of music I like is probably rock, as well as a little bit of stuff like jazz, R&B, rock and roll, electronica/incidental/orchestral music (in the form of Doctor Who and Lord of the Rings soundtracks), little bit of folk rock (just Simon and Garfunkel), and a few artists that don't really fit one genre all the time like Kate Bush. I guess apart from that, my dad plays in an orchestra and I've been to lots of his orchestra and opera shows, so I like music like that too.

I don't really have a set-up because I don't record anything or (usually) play back at home. I used to have a really crappy drumkit in the garage but I got rid of that about two years ago. I have two pairs of drumsticks, and cymbals I take to practices (hi-hats/crash/ride cymbals) except school practices where we have full drumkits already. There are keyboards and pianos at school which I use often, and we have a piano here at home too which I practice on sometimes.