I've been playing Mega Man 3 (Mega Man thread?)

Rabbit Head

I got a 3DS today :D

One of the first things I did when I took her home was go to Virtual Console and buy a couple retro games I've always wanted to try. Demon Quest 2 and Mega Man 3. Mega Man 3 is really fun, but it's also really fucking difficult. It's like a machine that both gives you a cookie and kicks you in the nuts at the same time. 

I'm going after Top Man first. They say he "goes down faster than a hooker in vegas."

56224-Mega_Man_3_(USA)-7.jpg.d72633d6266

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vae said:

I've played Megaman 3 admittedly late, for someone who grew up on the NES.

It's fun.
I just don't think it's quite as memorable or difficult as Megaman 2                              

It seems that when it comes to the classic mega man games, people will cite either 2 or 3 as the best. Which is the best of those two seems to be preference.

The farthest I've gotten in a classic mega man game was in 5 and you know what? I've forgotten 90% of the experience.

In other news, top man is a baby back bitch. Like, a total pushover holy crap. Everything he threw at me was so easy to dodge.

Edited by Rabbit Head

2 was always boring to me. 3-10 are where I have more fun. I leaned more towards 5 and onward though. Just felt the levels started to get more varied and interesting.

I'm actually working on something of a speedrun for Zero 3. Pretty interesting mechanics. 

2 hours ago, Imperial Impact said:

OP, MM3 is piss easy.

It gets easy when you're piecing together what you're supposed to do. MM3 is kind of a puzzle game tbh. 

EXCEPT for when you run into protoman. That guy can go choke on a dick.

Edited by Rabbit Head

9 hours ago, XoPachi said:

All Mega Man classic games outside of 9 aren't really difficult honestly. But 1-3 definitely.

8 and Mega Man & Bass?

8 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

It gets easy when you're piecing together what you're supposed to do. MM3 is kind of a puzzle game tbh. 

EXCEPT for when you run into protoman. That guy can go choke on a dick.

Nah. MM3 drops so much health recovering items so much made 3 so easy.

The only bosses that are hard are Snakeman (No weakness) and Doc bots.  

47 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

8 and Mega Man & Bass?

Mega Man 8 only got difficult at Wily's castle and I only remember only the first stage being difficult because of the boarding segment. Though Wily himself was playing no games. Not solitaire, not backgammon, not Mario Bros, not hide and seek. That guy was on a mission. The NES conversion of the game is extremely brutal too.

And I always forget about Mega Man and Bass. That was a great game. I remember struggling with that one as well actually. I think it was more the so the robot masters that bodied me. It was either Dynamo Man or Cold Man that would fucking wreck my day.

Megaman 2 is easily the strongest of the series.

I'll give 3 props though for introducing Rush. The transport items were always so bland before he was around.

4 hours ago, Imperial Impact said:

8 and Mega Man & Bass?

8's robot master are a joke... Only the snow board and Green Devil portions are particularly challenging.

Fuck I hate the devil bosses in Megaman games...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XoPachi said:

And I always forget about Mega Man and Bass. That was a great game. I remember struggling with that one as well actually. I think it was more the so the robot masters that bodied me. It was either Dynamo Man or Cold Man that would fucking wreck my day.

Mega Man & Bass and 8 are both lazy as fuck imo (Stage wise).

But I do remember the game was hard with Bass since he can't fire charge shots like MM can.

EDIT: the GBA port was a shit since Capcom had to cut half the fuck screen so it can fit on a GBA screen.

7 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

8's robot master are a joke... Only the snow board and Green Devil portions are particularly challenging. 

Fuck I hate the devil bosses in Megaman games...

The stages themselves in 8 are hard.

Edited by Imperial Impact

I didn't have much trouble with the stages in Mega Man 8, personally. Most of them. Now don't get me wrong, I still DIED of course. You have to learn the stages anyway. I think only Frost Man and Wily 1 gave me the most problems and both for the same reason. 

Man, I need to play that game again. I fucking loved that one...minus the miserable voices. 

And you're right, Bass was sort of hard mode since he can't move and shoot at once or slide under attacks or like you said, charge attacks. I feel like the hardest Mega Man game was Zero 4.

4 hours ago, Imperial Impact said:

8 and Mega Man & Bass?

The bosses are piss easy when you get them by their weaknesses. Haven't gotten to snake man yet, since I've got Hard Man in my cross hairs. But their stages are hard and I keep dying so many times... 

Are we talking about the same game?

17 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

Megaman 2 is easily the strongest of the series.

Mega man 3 has better controls and introduces proto man and rush.

So I'm really not suuuuure...

1 minute ago, Imperial Impact said:

Yes, Even the Dr.wily stages drop more items. 

The only stage that should give you a hard time is Needle Man's, Gemini Man's and maybe Spark Man's (?) 

I tried going after needle man first, I didn't find stage all that hard to tbh. Actually, it's one of the easier ones to  Needle man HIMSELF is a prick, especially if you try to take him out with the arm cannon like I did.

The only reason I got past Spark man is because I got lucky once. Stupid vertical platform bullshit... 

2 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

The bosses are piss easy when you get them by their weaknesses. Haven't gotten to snake man yet, since I've got Hard Man in my cross hairs. But their stages are hard and I keep dying so many times... 

Are we talking about the same game?

Mega man 3 has better controls and introduces proto man and rush.

So I'm really not suuuuure...

Wait, 2 and 3 control the same though. Really they all do. Just Mega Dude was a taaad slippery in the first game, but he was no Luigi and still manageable.

Granted, I still agree with you. For different reasons of course. 2's levels were......It was cool at the time? I guess? They just felt super empty to me and aside from Heat Man's monotonous amount of Yoku blocks nothing really stands out to me. Flash Man being the most barren. Bosses were a joke too. Some like Air Man and Wood Man just rolled over. They didn't even try. :l

Who here played Mega Man Unlimited? That game was the bee's knees. Only real issue was how drawn out Wily's castle was. Fan games have this weird trend of making the Wily 4 Boss Rush into these individual shortened levels. It's just too much honestly. Fighting all 8 masters again is already kind of enough, I don't feel like they need their own little stages in one bigger stage. 

On 4/4/2016 at 6:10 PM, Rabbit Head said:

I tried going after needle man first, I didn't find stage all that hard to tbh. Actually, it's one of the easier ones to  Needle man HIMSELF is a prick, especially if you try to take him out with the arm cannon like I did.

The only reason I got past Spark man is because I got lucky once. Stupid vertical platform bullshit... 

Oh, It's been a while since I played MM3. I knew something about Needle man was hard

On 4/4/2016 at 5:14 PM, XoPachi said:

I didn't have much trouble with the stages in Mega Man 8, personally. Most of them. Now don't get me wrong, I still DIED of course. You have to learn the stages anyway. I think only Frost Man and Wily 1 gave me the most problems and both for the same reason. 

Man, I need to play that game again. I fucking loved that one...minus the miserable voices. 

And you're right, Bass was sort of hard mode since he can't move and shoot at once or slide under attacks or like you said, charge attacks. I feel like the hardest Mega Man game was Zero 4.

MMZ4 was easy, It was MMZ1 and MMZ2 were the hard ones.

Mega Man 2 is the only game in this series I've beaten and am good at.

Although to be fair, I played 2 with a relative who taught me how to beat each boss with ease, so its forever ingrained in my mind how to win in that game.

The Megaman games are fantastic, I've been replaying 2 recently. It's not as difficult as I remember... Stuff like Quickman's stage used to be impossible, now I find it pretty breezy.

I actually really like the later games. Most people agree that 2 is the best, but I always find it hard to go back because I miss the charge shot, the slide, and the transformations.

6 hours ago, Flake said:

The Megaman games are fantastic, I've been replaying 2 recently. It's not as difficult as I remember... Stuff like Quickman's stage used to be impossible, now I find it pretty breezy.

I actually really like the later games. Most people agree that 2 is the best, but I always find it hard to go back because I miss the charge shot, the slide, and the transformations.

Yeah same. There's like nothing in the game compared to future entries. lol

Also, if you can take on Quick Man, think you're ready for Rainbow Man?

7 hours ago, 6tails said:

Welcome to the world of Nintendo Hard gaming. :D

I'm no stranger to nintendo-hard difficulty, having beaten Castlevania and Metroid on the NES and getting well into other NES games before I dropped them.

What I'm talking about is the fact that the checkpoint system in megaman 3 changed after I killed all of the robot masters.   

Edited by Rabbit Head

14 hours ago, XoPachi said:

Also, if you can take on Quick Man, think you're ready for Rainbow Man?

Are they insta-death lasers? They look like insta-death lasers. The memories come rushing back...

I ought to go back and replay the Megaman games, it's been too long. I think 6 is my favorite just because of the flight suit, that was so much fun.

On 4/4/2016 at 6:10 PM, Rabbit Head said:

It's been a year since I played 3. So I knew something about him was hard.

On 4/10/2016 at 1:37 AM, XoPachi said:

2? I can't agree there. I might just have a fuzzy memory of 4. Haven't played it since 7th grade. I remember 2 giving me the least trouble. But some of bosses fucked me up in 4 as a kid.

Most of Z4 was easy because of the weather system. Some bosses here and there were hard. I think the hardest one was Craft(?) mainly because his size vs. the the small GBA screen.

58 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

It's been a year since I played 3. So I knew something about him was hard.

Most of Z4 was easy because of the weather system. Some bosses here and there were hard. I think the hardest one was Craft(?) mainly because his size vs. the the small GBA screen.

Oh well that was the problem. If you wanted to 100% the game and get and skills, then you had to turn on the weather to benefit the boss which made the game significantly harder. And that was how I played it. Sort of like using Elves in the previous games destroyed your chances at getting S rank and EX powers but you would be broken to Hell so it didn't matter.

1 hour ago, Imperial Impact said:

Not in Zero 4.

I know, I'm saying that for the sake of comparison. Used a different system that time around (the weather). It's the same concept of "harder route for a reward", just different stipulations is all.

5 hours ago, Imperial Impact said:

Weapons were shit in 5

Only one I remember disliking was Power Stone. But I can think of a LOT of Mega Man games with some stupid weapons. I feel like every game has one or a few. Especially Mega Man ZX Advent. God...was I the only one who couldn't bring myself to finish that game?

36 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Only one I remember disliking was Power Stone. But I can think of a LOT of Mega Man games with some stupid weapons. I feel like every game has one or a few. Especially Mega Man ZX Advent. God...was I the only one who couldn't bring myself to finish that game?

MM 5 takes the case because weapons were A. Slow, B. too weak or C. hits anywhere but the foe your trying to hit. 

1 minute ago, Imperial Impact said:

Who really plays Mega Man games for it's plot?

People who play Battle Network games I imagine.

I wasn't really meaning from a plot perspective; it just seems like it takes away from the game to be able to do that; one should be forced to beat all the bosses first methinks.