Apple vs FBI

Mikazuki Marazhu

I was immersing myself with the news about Apple's battle with FBI about national security.

So what happened was around late 2015 the FBI demanded Apple to help them unlock a terrorist's iPhone in San Bernardino California. Apple wasn't so complacent about helping the FBI with the request to create a backdoor software to all Apple mobile phones because it violate people's rights to privacy. Personally I'm really torn by which side I agree with. I mean, I love my privacy but don't know if I should relent it for national security. Also creating a backdoor software could potentially be used by the wrong hands. I for one don't feel entirely comfortable how the government maintain data security.

I think it's bullshit that the FBI wants to ask apple of that. I mean. The FBI surely have all the means to do it themselves. They just want this so they have an excuse to ask all tech companies like Google and Microsoft to do the same. They prolly just don't want to go through all those legal paperwork to unlock a phone. 

• Like 1

An ethical debate about software security and cryptography can't even begin until there's a basic understanding by all parties of what it actually is and where vulnerabilities in any system actually lie.  In fairness, these are difficult subjects to wrap a brain around.  However, despite the FBI having teams of intelligent people in its ranks, Director James Comey is either so lacking in that basic understanding or so much in denial of it that what he's demanding of Apple is self-defeating.  Jonathan Zdziarski, a designer of forensics tools the FBI uses, wrote an open letter to FBI Director James Comey explaining why.

In the end, bad guys will just use encrypted Androids using Cyanogen ROMs, while the rest of the people will be using things that can actually be cracked and spied on by FBI/NSA. Same as with criminals not following gun laws.

Edited by Rassah

I lean deeply toward the no-snooping side, but at the same time I can certainly understand that said snooping could potentially save lives... But yet, if they had access to such surveillance, it would likely only be a matter of time before they have their schnoz in everything...

So yeah, in other words, I know nothing more than anyone else.