Python Programmers?

Summercat

I am beginning to learn Python, in order to work with PyMel in Maya.

Aye, that's something that's on my to-do list. Python is fairly easy to grasp - I managed it, despite being unable to understand any other coding language.

Maybe I could get Carenath to host a copy of my code to show it off :v

There's always pastebin. That's what I tend to use.

It's a 33MB project at this point. Too big for Pastebin :P Besides, I was thinking of actually getting hosting to run it, being a server/website thing.

Great timing for a thread like this.

I got halfway through LPTHW by Zed Shaw, but I had a hiatus due to dead PC and everything being stuck on my old HDD. But I'm looking to get back into it.

LPTHW is a nice one, although I should go back to it at some point now that I'm over my dislike of using the command prompt. Was reading Micheal Grinburg's Flask book from ORielly, that helps me grok that project. 

I do most of my coding in Python, but I don't really mess with web development so I probably won't be much help with anything framework specific.

What do you do/use? I started out with the intent to work with Pygame, but couldn't wrap my head around GUI programming. I then swapped to using browser stuff...

My first real program was a... combat based RPG, had to stop on it by request of the system owner. 

What do you do/use? I started out with the intent to work with Pygame, but couldn't wrap my head around GUI programming. I then swapped to using browser stuff...

My first real program was a... combat based RPG, had to stop on it by request of the system owner. 

My primary use is in scientific computing, which largely boils down to data manipulation, algorithms, and numerical concerns. Otherwise, it ends up being my scripting language of choice just because I'm already working with it so often. Unfortunately, I just haven't ever had time to do much in the way of more common applications.

My primary use is in scientific computing, which largely boils down to data manipulation, algorithms, and numerical concerns. Otherwise, it ends up being my scripting language of choice just because I'm already working with it so often. Unfortunately, I just haven't ever had time to do much in the way of more common applications.

What exactly do you do with it? Because I'm interested in learning that sort of stuff. ....maybe eventually get out of working Security. >_>

Aye, that's something that's on my to-do list. Python is fairly easy to grasp - I managed it, despite being unable to understand any other coding language.

Maybe I could get Carenath to host a copy of my code to show it off :v

It's a language I find myself dipping into a lot more these days, which is in line with my desire to cut down drastically on my use of PHP (made difficult by the near-obsessive use of PHP) :P

If it's built in Flask, that should not be too difficult, I'll put it into consideration before spooling up a VE.

LPTHW is a nice one, although I should go back to it at some point now that I'm over my dislike of using the command prompt. Was reading Micheal Grinburg's Flask book from ORielly, that helps me grok that project. 

I have that same book, at least as a digital copy, but let me tell you trying to read something like that on a 5" phone display is painful.

Fun Fact: I considered using his Flasky social-blogger project (which you build as part of the book's chapters) and modifying/extending it into something useful but the primary reason I don't write web applications is my lack of love for JavaScript.

Edited by Carenath

It's a language I find myself dipping into a lot more these days, which is in line with my desire to cut down drastically on my use of PHP (made difficult by the near-obsessive use of PHP) :P

If it's built in Flask, that should not be too difficult, I'll put it into consideration before spooling up a VE.

I have that same book, at least as a digital copy, but let me tell you trying to read something like that on a 5" phone display is painful.

My project is built in Flask, and is heavily based off the Megatutorial that Grinburg wrote, merged with stuff learned from the tutorial from his book. I'll upload my current dev directory somewhere and send it over to you.

What exactly do you do with it? Because I'm interested in learning that sort of stuff. ....maybe eventually get out of working Security. >_>

In many cases, I go from numerical simulations to data analysis to figure preparation without leaving Python. The big thing that's caused Python to become somewhat ubiquitous in the sciences has been the core stack of Numpy+Scipy+matplotlib. Numpy provides C compatible contiguous arrays and operations which are essential for getting any sort of speed out of numerics through Python. Scipy depends on Numpy and implements a number of more advanced structures, algorithms, and special functions. Finally, matplotlib is used for graphical plotting and can be used to generate publication quality figures. Of course, there are a huge number of more specialized packages beyond those, but almost all of them at least depend on Numpy.

I do theoretical calculations, so I'm typically starting with a problem that involves solving partial differential equations. If the particular problem can be implemented largely in terms of array operations then Python will have acceptable performance due to passing everything through compiled operations in Numpy. Otherwise, it's relatively straightforward to wrap C or Fortran code encompassing an inner calculation loop and then call that within the larger Python program.

Data analysis and plotting tend to be more common applications for Python than computationally intensive calculations, simply because writing efficient code in Python requires eschewing any large loops that aren't first compiled. For data analysis, which usually is less efficiency constrained, Python is pretty much ideal due to the huge number of packages already out there combined with the relative ease of writing Python code in the first place. With matplotlib it basically becomes a complete replacement for older commercial software like MATLAB.

I recently ended up doing a spatial distribution analysis on a set of SEM images working largely with the scikit-image package and despite having little experience in image analysis. There's a big advantage to having both knowledge and control over all of the input operations compared to the outsourcing everything to a commercial software suite, which is what I'd otherwise probably end up doing just out of time constraints.

Edited by Onnes

I might get into it myself; that is whenever I finally have need to actually leave PHP. :P

Wow, didn't think someone else had "near-obsessive" use. I mean seriously. I work on scripts because its fun! I mean who does that?

"Huh, don't need a Wiki...BUT I WILL BUILD ONE ANYWAYS!"

"You know what would be cool? My own coded chat! That will be useful...when I actually talk to people." :P

"Hey, I don't plan on being the next popular image/story/etc hosting site, but man I'll built a system that is flexible to allow you to manage new data flags and everything relating to files; flexible 'section' system with everything needed! Now if only it could be used..."

"A page system to allow myself to create "pages" dynamically would be nice. Now I can put my grocery list for all to see!"

"Hey, perhaps I should build my first truly 100% from scratch game...IN PHP! Just because! This RPG will be cool because you don't need to download anything and anyone with an internet connection can connect to it! And tactics and all items being useful will be a thing."

And this goes on for awhile...literally I've built silly and useful things in PHP from a bot AI and so much more. Best of all, I have it all in one system so the wiki, chat, and everything else just uses one permission system that is simple and fun to use; and lots of flexibility!

Wait, what began this post? Something about obsession...mmm...BETTER MAKE ANOTHER SCRIPT FAST! :D

Edited by Scrydan