Jump to content
Xander Venterus

Furry OpenSim World now up and running - Free

Recommended Posts

FurrTrax's opensim world, which is a free to use world identical to SecondLife but without all the LindenLabs tribulations, is up and running.

We have 60 Regions online right now, 4 of which are developed, the others are there for expansion, and to buffer us far away from anyone elses building and bothering.

We will be allocating land free as long as its used and developed, and not just left to stagnate.

We have a entire region dedicated to free stuff in a bunch of stores, including lots of furry stuff, none of it costs anything just buy it for 0 as you like.

We will also be developing and adding regions as we get feedback.

How to access the FurrVerse???

Its running on the OSgrid metaverse, So if you have firestorm, or some other viewer just make an osgrid account, and then set your starting location to "FurrVerse"

The Firestorm viewer works well for users:
Make sure you download the one that supports OpenSim!!!!
http://www.firestormviewer.org/windows/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

It just had to be SL...

Why not make the sim open like most others?

i think you misunderstand, it is opensim, its not connected to linden in any way, or SecondLife, its linked to OSgrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Xander Venterus said:

i think you misunderstand, it is opensim, its not connected to linden in any way, or SecondLife, its linked to OSgrid.

Why OpenSim? I don't want to dick around with another account and lose everything under my SL one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so what exactly is "OpenSim"?

Is it basically just a re-skinned SL? Since if that's the case I'm not interested, seeing as the whole SL UI and general mechanics are so unbelievably convoluted and terrible that I can never get myself to play it again.

Or is it something SL-esque, but accessible to people who aren't willing to spend 1000 hours of there life figuring out how the hell the fucked inventory system works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do people even still get on Second Life for any reason other than trolling? Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Vae said:

Do people even still get on Second Life for any reason other than trolling? Lol.

Well, you can't really troll on SL unless you have people dumb enough to fall for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Well, you can't really troll on SL unless you have people dumb enough to fall for it.

It's the internet, need I say more?

I'm curious as well. 

Whats an open-sim, and what is and what is "Firestorm" or OSGrid?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Xander Venterus said:

FurrTrax's opensim world, which is a free to use world identical to SecondLife but without all the LindenLabs tribulations, is up and running.

But why? "It's like SL but fewer people and you have to make a new account" doesn't seem too appealing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Well, you can't really troll on SL unless you have people dumb enough to fall for it.

It depends on what you consider "trolling," I guess.

I just mean like
making a ridiculous avatar, and standing on someone's sex bed until they throw a tantrum.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13.5.2016 at 7:14 AM, 6tails said:

This is why I continue to work on my own. Sure, it's 2D, but it will work in a web browser or with an actual client and is much easier to learn and develop on. Then to boot, you can literally build your own world and others can connect to it the same way, or link it through mine.

And it'll work on limited hardware.

Furcadia: Webbrowser edition?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2016 at 3:20 AM, PastryOfApathy said:

Okay so what exactly is "OpenSim"?

Is it basically just a re-skinned SL? Since if that's the case I'm not interested, seeing as the whole SL UI and general mechanics are so unbelievably convoluted and terrible that I can never get myself to play it again.

Or is it something SL-esque, but accessible to people who aren't willing to spend 1000 hours of there life figuring out how the hell the fucked inventory system works?

OpenSim is a sucky open source server implementation of a Second Life simulator made in C#. It doesn't have a client, because it's just using Second Life's protocol, so you connect to it like you normally would to Second Life, only you specify which "grid" you are logging into. Some people have made their own grids using it, complete with their own currency and various different features that aren't in Second Life. Each sim is usually hosted on someone's small home server, so performance is usually pretty crappy, and the scripting language (which mimicks LSL ) isn't really up to par from what I've seen, but I haven't tried OpenSim in years. I remember there being an exploit involving a function that delinks prims from objects, but the developers didn't put a check in it, so you could go around delinking prims from anyone's build, effectively destroying them.

It's a neat thing to play around with on your local machine, but any OpenSim grids you come across are empty as fuck. So there's not much point in logging into them unless you're just dicking around with friends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, root said:

OpenSim is a sucky open source server implementation of a Second Life simulator made in C#. It doesn't have a client, because it's just using Second Life's protocol, so you connect to it like you normally would to Second Life, only you specify which "grid" you are logging into. Some people have made their own grids using it, complete with their own currency and various different features that aren't in Second Life. Each sim is usually hosted on someone's small home server, so performance is usually pretty crappy, and the scripting language (which mimicks LSL ) isn't really up to par from what I've seen, but I haven't tried OpenSim in years. I remember there being an exploit involving a function that delinks prims from objects, but the developers didn't put a check in it, so you could go around delinking prims from anyone's build, effectively destroying them.

It's a neat thing to play around with on your local machine, but any OpenSim grids you come across are empty as fuck. So there's not much point in logging into them unless you're just dicking around with friends.

Thank you, you truly are the root of all knowledge.

But seriously thanks for filling us in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 6tails said:

I was hoping to take SS13 after this, and improve performance by changing the a lot of their accuracy-dependent calculations like atmospherics and replacing them with much faster approximations

Would you like to elaborate on what kind of faster approximations you're planning on implementing?
Currently, most servers use a system which just averages out pressures between adjacent tiles, unless they're using the older zone-based system.
I don't see how it can get any simpler than that. Nearly everything is optimized to run as fast as possible.
Most of the performance issues we're experiencing stem from the engine itself being incapable of using more than one CPU core. This is all fine and dandy for low-powered machines, but once you get a server that needs to handle hundreds of people, you're going to need a CPU with a high single-core performance.
The 510 update to BYOND helped quite a bit by turning lagspikes into delays over longer periods, which aren't very noticeable, but that still doesn't resolve the issue of the engine running on a single thread and not utilizing all resources.

22 hours ago, 6tails said:

and end up making a furry version of SS13

Paradise and Citadel station both have furry races, so you might want to take a look at their code for ideas on how to implement that yourself.

22 hours ago, 6tails said:

Just walk over to the spaceport, get transferred directly to the game server, when done, get teleported back to the space port entrance!

I'm interested in how you'll manage to handle the switch between two completely different user interfaces.
Unless you're not going to bother with that, in which case you'll probably confuse a lot of your players.

Also, is your source code hosted anywhere by any chance?
Or are you a strong supporter of security by obscurity, as you've mentioned in some bitcoin threads?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 6tails said:

You also have a ton of code that could easily be made client-side instead of server-side and not affect the gameplay/game integrity.

The thing with DM is, you can't really define what is client and what is server-side, with the exception of browser javascript and HTML for user interfaces.
We also recently had a bunch of issues with people exploiting exactly that. Just modifying the HTML page in BYOND's cache to send bogus inputs, which cause catastrophic problems, especially in atmospherics user interfaces.

49 minutes ago, 6tails said:

The problem with SS13 is the coding. Far more complex games have been executed on far lower hardware. It doesn't help that BYOND has bollocks for garbage collection.

There have been multiple attempts to get SS13 off of DM and onto other languages. Probably the most popular was the one that tried to port it to C#.
They have all failed, as the lack of a standalone SS13 indicates. Although, the C# one is open-source now that the original developers aren't working on it.

49 minutes ago, 6tails said:

The atmospheric approximations are still too closely tied together which is what fucks things up in performance. Specific area processes for each section is a faster (but clunkier code-wise) way to go.

There's ZAS. It does exactly that. It splits pressurized chunks into their own areas, then handles depressurization with separate connector datums or by averaging two areas until they can merge into one.
The issue with that was that it was extremely clunky, after a ton of work was put into it. Failed refreshes, infinite space wind, space on fire lagging the game out, complete system restarts causing lagspikes, etcetera.
Beyond those issues, there was also the problem that the system itself is zone-based, which heavily influences tools that rely on atmospherics. Big example being the flamethrower. You don't want to fill the entire hallway you're using the flamethrower in, do you?

49 minutes ago, 6tails said:

The interface switch is simple enough to handle. All of that happens automatically as you move from one world to another and code downloads and initializes, assuming you're keeping worlds separate like I'm doing, instead of trying to run it all as a single package. I can just add in a quick-tip screen before game start using a pop-up dialog/browser window with an image.

DM will handle that automagically, I am aware. The issue is that the user interface of SS13 is vastly different in design from the one you're using.
You can't expect an SS13 player to jump into your game and use the UI properly from the get-go. Same applies vice-versa, as the SS13 UI requires quite a bit of fumbling with to understand.

49 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Source isn't hosted anywhere right now. There's a copy on my machine and a copy on the other dev's machine, and on flash drives. Other than that, only Tom over on the BYOND forums has a copy of my source (and we're still trying to figure out why our minimap isn't rendering in the web client from that source.)

I'd recommend uploading it on GitHub eventually. Once someone gets interested in the game, you might just get more developers without looking for them.
Unless, once again, you're employing security by obscurity. That would just ruin everything.

49 minutes ago, 6tails said:

This ancient engine runs on everything, and has a web client version.

The lack of a running native client for Linux speaks otherwise.
The ancient engine also depends on IE. Tough luck if you have that uninstalled or are running ReactOS and can't install it.
Additionally, the web client version is still under development on BYOND's part and does not work for everything properly.
If that wasn't enough, some servers that use the new color blending will outright refuse to work even on a virtual machine.
Don't get me started on how bad the tooling for development is.


Sorry if I'm ranting too much about this.
I'm just fed up with how bad BYOND is and you're hitting a nerve every time you promote how great it is.

Edited by george99g
Disappearing #

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice idea, but what about our avatars and inventories? I'm not 1337 enough with Blender to make my own mod parts, and I've grown accustomed to mesh. There doesn't seem to be an accessible/legal way to port my inventory, and there's already a community so I'll stick with SL for now. OpenSim is nice for land ownership and world-building on one's own hardware, and works with CtrlAltStudio for VR stuff, but is otherwise more primitive. Perhaps when an opensource version of Sansar comes along, I'll reconsider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Hmmm... looks like that's only for content the user has created or otherwise has full ownership of. I'd be able to bring a few structures, textures, and avatar proportions, but not heads/tails/paws/etc. that were purchased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xaende said:

Hmmm... looks like that's only for content the user has created or otherwise has full ownership of. I'd be able to bring a few structures, textures, and avatar proportions, but not heads/tails/paws/etc. that were purchased.

If only there were an easily accessible copybot that worked with mesh. :-p

2 hours ago, george99g said:

 Tough luck if you have that uninstalled or are running ReactOS and can't install it.

There are people who use ReactOS? Hasn't that thing been in alpha for like 18 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, root said:

There are people who use ReactOS? Hasn't that thing been in alpha for like 18 years?

Their site claims six million downloads. I just use it in a virtual machine to test cross-compiles.
The idea is, in my opinion, pretty neat. If it gets far enough, this thing would be simply incredible.

12 hours ago, 6tails said:

Yep, and only now is at like.. 0.4.0

As of today, 0.4.1.

15 hours ago, 6tails said:

It also runs fairly well under WINE.

Let me just get this other quote here...

16 hours ago, 6tails said:

This ancient engine runs on everything

I don't think "it runs on a compatibility layer" constitutes "it runs on everything".
That's just... outright wrong.

If I wrote software for you and told you it'd run on everything, you'd expect me to send you a Windows binary instead of telling you to use a compatibility layer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, george99g said:

Their site claims six million downloads. I just use it in a virtual machine to test cross-compiles.
The idea is, in my opinion, pretty neat. If it gets far enough, this thing would be simply incredible.

Oh absolutely. I think it's a fantastic idea and I wish the developers good luck. They just really need more volunteers or something though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2016 at 6:29 AM, root said:

Each sim is usually hosted on someone's small home server, so performance is usually pretty crappy, and the scripting language (which mimicks LSL ) isn't really up to par from what I've seen, but I haven't tried OpenSim in years.

Not exactly a home server, i have 3 PowerEDGE R710s, a total of 48 hyper-threaded Xeon I7 Series CPU cores, 240 GB of RAM, and several TB of SSD Storage, Hardware that i own, i dont rent any of it.  And its colo'd at a datacenter on gigabit fiber.

That should suffice for all of my server needs....  My hardware rivals Furaffinitys claimed hardware, except i think mine is setup properly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...