Be Careful What You Wish For (Money!)

AshleyAshes

So, I work in the film industry, I help make those 3D movies that you watch, and apparently people like watching them in the summer, so I'm slogging 12hr days and Saturdays with many other people to help make deadlines.  I already knew I was working Saturday for 10hrs, but the company reliably and accurately pays out over time so all that 1.5x pay after 44hrs is pretty great.  But then comes down the question of also working Sunday.  This means no weekend.  This means right to Monday where there will be 12hr days from Mon-Fri again and after about 70hrs of work I really need a day off.  "Not unless the company offers 2X pay.  Sorry, I'm just spent."  "Ha ha, they'd never offer us 2X pay." laughed my boss, taking my response as a 'No.'

Fast forward a few hours and an email comes down about new incentives to get more employees working weekends.  Weekend Bonus Pay.  This is basically just your regular non-OT rate paid on top of what ever pay you're getting for any hours worked on a weekend.  So for those under 44hrs, that's 2x pay, for those who are over 44hrs for the week already that's effectively 2.5x.  ...Hot SHIT.  Saturday I'm going to make 2.5X for 10hrs and this will continue for 2-4 more weeks.  'So Ashley, you said you'd do Sunday for 2X but now it'll be 2.5X.  Work sunday?' she asks.  So now I have to weasel out of that without looking dumb while trying not to laugh manically about how much I'll make on Saturday.  I just can't do Sunday.  I need a day to myself to not wear pants or a bra and not deal with other humans.

...I'm going to wish for 3X pay when they ask me next weekend and see what happens. :D

I have sushi and I'm going to go die now. D:  ...Also, WTF is a 'Canada Roll' and why did I buy it?

13 minutes ago, Photoshop Amateur said:

But think about it in the log run. Yes it's a bitch to work so much but once that fat cheque comes in you'll be loaded for a long while

Or a whole 2 hours if that's how you spend money

I did about 2 months of OT averaging 60-72hrs a week from December to Jan with bits in between then and now, It's been 12hr days for the last three weeks with another 2-4 weeks of that on the horizon.  So, no, with the hours I pull and the income I bring in, it's really about knowing when to say 'Nope' and get your one day off to relax and recover.

No, thanks.

Software development is a bit different since they have laws that say the companies don't have to pay you for overtime. With a lot of companies and especially the big ones, it became an expectation and it never fucking ends. I'm going to be starting a job where I'm working full time for a company that contracts me out to much larger companies who have to pay by the hour. Thus way, I'm virtually guaranteed 40 hours a week, with the exception of release weekends which might be three or four times a year.

3 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Software development is a bit different since they have laws that say the companies don't have to pay you for overtime. With a lot of companies and especially the big ones, it became an expectation and it never fucking ends.

Yeah.  I do consider myself lucky to be working at a company that very accurately tracks worked hours, to the 100th of an hour actually, and then pays out reliably and accurately.  There's certainly a lot of unpaid overtime in the world and that sucks.  But this is why OT can be hard to turn down.  The more you work the more you earn... But sometimes you just gotta sleep, ya know?