What would you prefer we play a Tabletop RPG on?

Kosha

blablabla  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What he said

• Roll20
    • Play by Post
    • Other (please specify)

So I've been thinking of playing a Tabletop RPG on this site. I have been debating what to play on. I could start a thread and we could just play by post. We could also play on Roll20 (a site dedicated to playing Tabletop RPGs) and I could make a post mentioning all of the players when I'm ready to play. I was thinking we could do Tabletop Simulator, but I'm against it because it costs money and you can use the other two for free.

I'll give pros and cons of both:

Play by Post:

Pros:

• You can check the thread at anytime.
  • We don't have to create another account something
  • You have time to think things through

Cons:

• Tabletop RPGs are more fast-paced and Play-by-Posts will slow that down to a snail's pace.
  • It's harder to visualize character sheets or dungeon grids.
  • You won't get help or be able to roll dice (so I know you're not cheating) until I see your post
  • Godmoding is common

Roll20:

Pros:

• Faster pace
  • You can roll on your own
  • More interactive
  • We can have character sheets and dungeon grids with no problems whatsoever.

Cons:

• We all have to decide when we can play since we have obligations and time zones are a thing.
  • We all have to get accounts

Just now, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Oooohhh..

ooo...

This is tough, because they both sound good...

I'm leaning towards PbP, even tho it'd be slower..

Here's what I'm willing to do: Play one game doing PbP and another using Roll20 and see which we prefer.

1 minute ago, Newt said:

Also, what game are you thinking of playing? Is it Pathfinder?

I hope it's Pathfinder.

Sorry but no, I was going to play TOON. I do want to play other RPGs at another time and Pathfinder is the one I want to play.

Just now, LadyRadarEars said:

All three are good, although play-by-post would probably require us to use roll20 or a dice roller or something anyway.

I was going to use random.org

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhíulchabán said:

What RPGs were you thinking of giving a try? Are you thinking of GMing, or being a player?

First, I wanted to do TOON since it's easy to learn and all of our characters can be furries. Then either D&D or Pathfinder. Maybe try to play Fallout with GURPS or try out that one Star Wars RPG.

Just stumbled across this thread, and i would be very interested in joining if there is still room open. I am in favor of Roll20, as the sluggish pace of play-by-post really does not work well with getting things done in an RPG I have found.

9 hours ago, Kosha said:

First, I wanted to do TOON since it's easy to learn and all of our characters can be furries. Then either D&D or Pathfinder. Maybe try to play Fallout with GURPS or try out that one Star Wars RPG.

I would highly recommend the new Star Wars RPGs by Fantasy Flight Games (you are not referring to the old d20 system, right?), as it has some innovative mechanics which do a lot to encourage role-playing (which is always a big plus for me), as well as solid combat and leveling systems. Having played it and run it previously, I can offer assistance with it as well as some useful resources I have found.

Just now, Osrik said:

I would highly recommend the new Star Wars RPGs by Fantasy Flight Games (you are not referring to the old d20 system, right?), as it has some innovative mechanics which do a lot to encourage role-playing (which is always a big plus for me), as well as solid combat and leveling systems. Having played it and run it previously, I can offer assistance with it as well as some useful resources I have found.

I couldn't remember the name for it, but yeah that's it. It sounds like the sort of thing I'm in to.

Just now, Kosha said:

I couldn't remember the name for it, but yeah that's it. It sounds like the sort of thing I'm in to.

It is actually a trio of RPGs all using the same system (and all completely cross-compatible):

There is Edge of the Empire, which focuses on scum and outlaw characters, Age of Rebellion, which focuses on the Galactic Civil War, and Force and Destiny, which focuses on force users after the purge. (I'll just put a link to one: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-edge-of-the-empire/)

Probably the biggest possible issue is that those who have a lesser interest in Star Wars might be less inclined to join the campaign, but the system is pretty easily modifiable, so new species could be added and it could possibly be played as a more generic setting if this turned out to be a problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One super simple system I recomend trying out is Risus It is the simplest system (the system 'book' is 6 pages) out there and is pretty fun since characters are made by using Cliche's rather than arbitrary stats.

Also for rolling dice regardless of system you should use Rolz.org or another site focused on specifically dice rolls instead of random.org.This is because rolling 2d6s is different than just doing 1-12 randomly. It's easier on your part to just put how many dice they're roilling and you can include modifiers in the calculation.