My dog got sick

Misomie

I went to AnthroCon for a week and left my pups behind. One was stressed and the other didn't care. The stressed one stopped eating and started vomiting and pottying in the house. I figured he was just depressed. I told my boyfriend to take him to the vets if he stopped drinking.

Anyways, I came back and he still refused food (he had lost almost 10 pounds). I took him to the vets and was quoted $880  (X-ray, blood work, ect). I just got back from a con so I only had a little money left so they cut a few things to focus on the most important. Before accepting that plan, we applied for care credit and were granted 2k on the spot so we opted for the full plan. His X-Rays showed heavy inflammation in his intestines and blood tests showed a heavy infection. They said they couldn't see something blocking the intestines but want me to bring him back on Monday for new ones to see if swelling went down or if there is a blockag (They did comment that his hips look really healthy though). They are not sure of the exact cause but gave him meds for the top two possibilities (one being an ulcer as there is digested blood in his stool). In the end he was prescribed 6 meds (3 daily, 2 12 hour, 1 8 hour) that included probiotics, antacids, ect. He was also given fluids. He did start feeling a lot better after the meds kicked in and he started acting more like his normal self.

He still has a long ways to go but him eating again is a pretty good step in the right direction. 

I had to take him back in today because he declined again. They did a barium test but it didn't pass through. If it doesn't pass by Monday (it will make his poop bright white), it means there is an obstruction in his intestines and he'll require surgery. So hoping it passes soon. :/

Otherwise, AC was awesome and I'll probably make some thread for it later.

They are closed on weekends but gave me some numbers for vets that are open then if he degrades again (they gave him fluids and an anti-nausa shot to up his appetite). They emailed me his radio graphs so I can show them to a different vet if needed. They just aren't positive that it is a blockage (as it is not super sharp showing) and don't want to cut him open just to find fecal matter (he did eat a little bit and they said it could be that or something spongey blocking everything).

26 minutes ago, Rhíulchabán said:

I really hope your dog gets better... they are such close friends and family members, it's like seeing a child get sick...

*hugs*

Yeah, I agree completely.

My boyfriend's mom however just said I should kill him after I took him in today. What the heck?! That's something you reserve for old or mangled dogs and you definitely don't say that about someone else's pet that is only 3 and repairable. She claims to be Christian but every time money pops up.... Ug! I'm the one paying for it so she should keep away with those comments! Everyone else was so supportive and then there is Mrs. Negative.

Jeez.. the poor pooch. :( I'm really sorry your dog & you have to go through this Misomie. It always seems like when vacation time arrives is when they get sick - stress can do such weird things (assuming that's the starting cause).

Not sure if it's advised by your vet or not, but when my mom's dog got stressed out & seemed to have a blockage I tried getting her moving as much as possible (& coaching her to drink lots too) so that it might pass more easily. 

Hoping he recovers quickly, 10+ days is a bit worrisome. 

7 hours ago, #00Buck said:

This is why I don't have pets. 

"Hey look everyone this thing is real cute but in a few years we'll all be broke and filled with incredible sadness."

I've had 2 different dogs that died. One of old age and one of cancer. The sorrow did come with the death of my loved dogs but it did pass rather quickly

But yeah, vet bills can be a pain in the ass but it is risk you have to take if you are taking care of a dog. Aside from vet bills, dogs aren't that costly, especially if you regularly take them out to keep them healthy and out of trouble caused by dog's boredom

Fen is doing much much much better. The vets said he didn't have to come back in on Monday because he was eating and going to the bathroom. After his check-up on Friday, he was getting better by the hour. He was out of it for the whole night though because of all the tests and stress but he starting acting a lot better by Saturday night. He did become a bit grouchy the other night and was growling at my female for just being nearby and he's amped up his guarding of the house by a ton. I think he'll calm down on the excess barking once he feels better, if not I'll have to retrain him out of it.

I also set up a gofundme in preparation for possible surgery. I have been given almost $200 and that money will go towards paying off the $2000 vet bill.

He also needs to go back in next week for bloodwork to make sure everything is normal and cleared up. That bill should be $200 max though. 

So glad he is feeling better. <3

• Like 2