Crusader Kings 2

Summercat

My favourite start is probably the Carolingian start. Early, with all the now-extinct cultures still present. Plus, you get to have some Zoroastrian fun! I'm not particularly fond of the Byzantine Empire, but that's mostly because it doesn't leave much wiggle-room. You either go for the throne, or you stay a subject. You don't have many options for siding with the Muslims or the Catholics, so breaking free requires a fair deal of manpower.

I love you all, please marry me.

My favourite campaign?
Starting as a shitty pagan county (Vizlavid dynasty, two provinces), ending as a pagan empire with four imperial titles: polish, scandinavian, german and russian.

But honestly I doubt I spent more than 200 hours playing it. Still, in my opinion it's the best game from Paradox so far.

I was multiplayer-ing with my friends, sort of. Three of us and we were trading saves every time ruler died, having one rule only - no talks about our plans and that specific game in general. Very interesting experience, seeing as other people see possible development of your (their?) country differently.

I'd be up for trying, but I'm not all that great at it. I have to struggle to maintain my hold on the Imperial throne! xD

Of course, I also have a mod I'm slowly thinking up: Fairy Invasion, based upon the Fairy Court events. It's on the Steam Workshop, but all it does is make a Fairy Blood trait on characters so spawned. 

I'd be up for trying, but I'm not all that great at it. I have to struggle to maintain my hold on the Imperial throne! xD

In my opinion it's a great thing. Sure, seeing your empire on the knees can be frustrating, but it only adds to the flavour and realism.

That's why I'm also not hand-picking my successors. If my firstborn is a retard... Well... I'll try to manage having a retarded ruler.

I would be down for multilayer

I'm not very good at the game though, despite my many hours of playtime

Crusader Kings II follows the Dwarf Fortress mantra; losing is fun. There's not much entertainment in having and maintaining a massive empire. It's much more fun to simulate the rise and fall of a culture; to see your family dispersed from their once prominent positions.

Haven't heard of it before but wikipedia says it's available on linux, so maybe I'll grab it sometime.

There's a demo available. I recommend you give it a shot before you get the full game, since it can be quite a steep learning curve; http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/

Note that the demo might be a bit dated, but it should give you a good idea of what the game is like.

I'll give it a shot at some point though I'm really more worried about whether it runs without crashing than learning to play. My graphics drivers have been a bit questionable on this OS.

Windows 10, I assume? :P 

CK2 isn't GPU intensive at all. As long as your CPU is up to snuff, it should work just fine. Even when I was on my burnt out 580s, I was able to play CK2 on and off. And they'd crash if I watched Netflix sometimes, as I recall, so that tells you a bit.

Windows 10, I assume? :P 

CK2 isn't GPU intensive at all. As long as your CPU is up to snuff, it should work just fine. Even when I was on my burnt out 580s, I was able to play CK2 on and off. And they'd crash if I watched Netflix sometimes, as I recall, so that tells you a bit.

Linux Mint. I like it because I get to waste time looking up ways to make things work instead of looking up ways to stop things from working.

CK2 works just fine even on the grandpas like GeForce 8600 GT, heck I even saw it running smoothly on GeForce 5500. The most needed and helpfull thing actually in running it fast being SSD drive. Saves take whole eternity to load, especially late-game ones.

Edited by Ayattar
  • Like 1

Linux Mint. I like it because I get to waste time looking up ways to make things work instead of looking up ways to stop things from working.

... Wow. I derped majorly. You mentioned a Linux version, but I didn't connect the dots. Sorry about that.

Well, the demo should reliably tell you whether your graphics drivers will implode.

If it doesn't end up needing the video card much I might be able to get away with installing the less impressive but more stable ones as my CPU is relatively capable. In fact it actually has some graphics capacity of its own now that I think about it.

On the plus side, I've heard newer AMD cards will have better linux drivers in the future, so maybe someday when I replace this one I won't have this issue.

As @Ayattar said, the game will run on almost any hardware. I believe Paradox Interactive even went out of their way to make sure it'd run on iGPUs and archaic hardware, so I'm actually really interested in hearing if you can run it. If it relies so little on the GPU that even the drivers being majorly botched won't affect it, that's just awesome :P 

I was doing Ironman Mode. I was the glorious Emperor of Éire. I had conquered all of Ireland, Wales, Sassana/England. I captured Andalusia and Jerusalem. Sciliy was mine and Denmark was forced under my Imperial rule and then tradegy... My Emperor died leaving a 4 year old on the throne as he crusaded for Italia from the Waldensian HRE. And then my save file got corrupted. FML.

Well, I've got the Fairy Invasion mod started [On workshop]. Was thinking about implimenting some more mechanics based upon fey blood, changelings, etc. Like, minor minor versions of the Demon Spawn chain.

Remember to ask for permission before uploading, if you're going to use files from that :P

Installed this & Banner Saga yesterday and neither has crashed anything so far. Got a bundle with a bunch of DLC in it so now steam is like 'HAVE 50 CODES' when I start the game but it never actually asks for them.

You don't need the codes for the game itself. They're entirely meant for the Paradox Interactive forums. Registering your codes there will give you an icon under your username, as well as access to the appropriate game, mod and support forums.

I don't like playing PI games without all the DLC, so I haven't touched EU4 in a long while

Likewise. I don't even touch EU4 as much as CK2. I was absolutely obsessed with EU3, but CK2 just feels like an all-around bigger and more fleshed out game now. Plus there are some absolutely brilliant mods for it.

Likewise. I don't even touch EU4 as much as CK2. I was absolutely obsessed with EU3, but CK2 just feels like an all-around bigger and more fleshed out game now. Plus there are some absolutely brilliant mods for it.

In theory I'm part of the MLP mod, which I started as a counter-reaction to all the butthurt about Sunset Invasion.

In theory? What, they're using your stuff with permission, but you have no involvement past that?

Pretty much. I'm the King in Absentia, although i've been absent for so long. I also suck at coding Parascript. 

I'm usually the same way, but I couldn't help myself... I staved off buying Common Sense for so long, but I caved about 2 weeks ago and have been playing non-stop since.  EU4 right now is in a sorry state, but I needed my fix.

I'm like a drug-addict, damn you paradox!

Indeed. I bought CM as soon as it came out. Same for Way of Life. It's just, EU4 wasn't playable on my old machine, so I didn't bother updating...

Aww...

Way of life was a great DLC, it made playthroughs a lot more enjoyable and varied for characters than just "oh, my, I can do some stat leveling ambitions, woo-hoo..."  Crusader Kings is so interesting because it is the only strategy game of its kind with the ability to weave such interesting stories and amazing scenarios.

Honestly, with the exception of Rajas, I think all the DLC's so far(can't speak for Horse Lords, as I haven't gotten that yet) have been exceptional. Even Sons of Abraham, since it added some much needed religious flavour to a bunch of the religions. Way of Life was just pure brilliance, though, and added a lot more personality to the game.