Blue-Skies Cooking Ideas

DrGravitas

I am bored with my usual cooking. I want to try different things. REALLY different things. But, I'm a terrible cook. I've failed at spaghetti, made horrible chicken strips, and set my grill on fire multiple times. So it's probably safer if I run ideas by other people first.

This thread is for folks to post outlandish or unusual cooking methods or ideas and to discuss them!

The idea currently in my mind is for solving a problem with my ribs. I like dry rubs, but it usually falls off while I go through the motions of cooking them. I currently use some tomato to help keep it on (usually not very successfully) but I  don't want to use sauces or sticky-sweet things to hold it on! What if I made up a big pan of spices and salts, buried the ribs in it, and then put the whole thing on the grill? Maybe I could even reuse some of the mix in future rib runs?

@DrGravitas

Sounds basically like the process for breading chicken, my advice is if you want the spices to really get into the meet is get some lemon or grapefruit and squeeze it into the meet (also add sage to it), you don't need alot but it really helps be juicy. What I usually do is buy steak and mince onion, tomatillo, and yellow bell peppers, mince up in a pan and make into delicious sauciness. Because my steaks ars cheap I cook them in the pan with the vegetables, when the steak is as cooked as you want it to reduce the heat and layer delicious veggies on top till it simmers down.

One thing I've wanted to try for awhile now is cooking with bannana leaves, basically you have a low heat source like ashes of a fire (or pan set on low), layer the bottom with bannana leaves until you create a barrier where you can add some juicy fruit, spices, and any type of meat you want (including insects like crickets or big old wood cockroaches, probably water insects too like crawfish) and then you put bannana leaves on the top to seal in the moisture and flavor and you basically slow cook it so the meat becomes very very tender and juicy and infused with the flavor of spices.

Get some low quality meat that isn't too fatty (can recommend pork and mango) and make it absolutely flava town.

Might be also able to take bannanas and berries and make an absolutely delicious creamy fruit snack from it using this method. Just add a small (I do mean small) bit of cilantro and lemon and eat it warm.

Oh and I think there is a cinnamon maize drink that I've always wanted to make. I'm pretty sure it is just powdered maize, milk, cinnamon, and some sugar. I'd probably add bannanas to it though. Drink hot I think?

• Like 1

Yeah, that might not be the best idea, Grav. What I recently learned is to use mustard over the dry rub. The mustard acts as a sealant on top of the rub, which will help force the rub down into the pores, and it also contains Vinegar, so it will help tenderise the ribs too. You shouldn't taste the mustard when it's cooked either.

• Like 1

How the hell do you fuck up spaghetti? You make sure the pot has a nice rolling boil, and then you cook the pasta until it floats, stirring occasionally. The box often says how long to cook it for. When in doubt, check the softness of the pasta. It should be soft yet firm. Drain the pasta and add the sauce of your choosing. Boom.

Gentlemen!

b8bba16bbbc738f581ad48cdd863cb971d80b7bc.gif.fe986ced1585c07594b217a76f42d637.gif

JPEG_20170430_152420.thumb.jpg.ac32e12df0f5526d1342329cdc4ec38f.jpg

Dark Chocolate Brownies... With Instant Espresso mixed in!

20170430_164915.thumb.jpg.bd4e81353608b9498988bb998759d308.jpg

Ok, so I got the idea off a box.

But! It got me thinking about other things I could put my new instant mix into. I'm thinking... espresso ribs 89

5 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

How the hell do you fuck up spaghetti? You make sure the pot has a nice rolling boil, and then you cook the pasta until it floats, stirring occasionally. The box often says how long to cook it for. When in doubt, check the softness of the pasta. It should be soft yet firm. Drain the pasta and add the sauce of your choosing. Boom.

I found a way. The noodles were hard, I added sugar (or maybe it was salt, I forget) to the sauce, and I made a terrible mess.

• Like 2

excuse me did someone say espresso ribs I'M HERE

i like to cook but i don't like to follow instructions.  in fact, when i do follow instructions is usually when i fail horribly and make even myself sad, as opposed to just failing a little and making gordon ramsay sad.  so i do a lot of "i wonder what i can do with this... let's do it FOR SCIENCE!" when i actually ass myself to be in the kitchen and i'm left to my own devices. 

but hey, that's how i got chocolate-chili cookies, ginger-orange cupcakes, and gnocchi with caramelized onions in red wine sauce.  B|

of course, that's also how i got ghetto eggplant havarti and miserable crab salad, but hey, it's food.

i fully endorse experimenting with EVERYTHING

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...