These generic new mmos though

Nova

So recently i noticed something.

The huge amount of mmos being created that are copies of each other.

What I mean with that is most mmos always look the same.

Realistic characters that or asians characters

Always same classes and roles

Same combat system (TERA-like)

Copy and paste mobs

Its just dissapointing, i hoped some good MMO would be realeased this year but its always the same.

Games like Guild wars, Final fantasy 14 , Elsword, Aion, Maplestory are like the only games that are fun and are innovative.

Only game i am excited for is soul worker.

It's proven to be a very profitable form of gaming (for gaming companies) to create generic, cookie cutter MMOs that are designed to be as addictive and money grabbing as possible 

As long as MMOs have that addictiviness factor, there's not much reason to get innovative. People don't buy them for their compelling storylines, graphics, innovative gameplay or challenge 

People buy them because they are social and give you virtual rewards for doing same thing all over again and for those, a generic MMO will do. Of course you'll see same copycat MMOs because other developers also want their cut of all the possible profits to be made from paying customers. Statistically, it's quite effective really. And sometimes you need to refresh up the supply of MMOs with a new title but because already existing model of MMOs that are dominated by mictrotransactions (not so "micro" when you can buy a 1000$ worth of in game currency with a single purchase) are so lucrative, there's no need to create something new and revolutionary

Secondly, the market for MMOs is surprisingly small, at least compared to genres like platformers or FPS games. Poorly designed and created platformers for instance never manage to become popular and descend to obscurity whereas MMOs always have that addictiviness factor that keeps people in, no matter how shitty they are. Also, most MMO developers have some capital available if they can afford to maintain multiple servers so at least you'll (most of the time) get a functional and a decent looking game if one were to decide to start playing a MMO

In other words, a big percentage of MMOs that get published become popular at some point but because of the nature of the gaming market, MMOs typically are quite short lived, with some exceptions like World of Warcraft because it's developers actively maintain, update and evolve their game to keep content in it fresh

And I am not a professional game developer or analyst but I thought I'd chime in anyway

• Like 3

Sounds like you may enjoy BDO (Black Desert Online). It's still quite newish, but has a unique feel to it over others I've noodled with. Multiple different ways to play, being a passive fisher/cooker/blacksmith and earning tons of cash wasn't an uncommon thing to see. Some just play to breed horses all day long and ride around looking at the scenery, also had those who just made a pretty home and junk. Then there's people who did the whole grind thing, quests & pvp/guild war act - it tended to all different playstyles and was always so thrilling! I'd still be playing if I knew I wouldn't go into no-lifer mode on it again. Would recommend 100%! 

/plus it's SO pretty graphic-wise 😍

1 hour ago, Moogle said:

Sounds like you may enjoy BDO (Black Desert Online). It's still quite newish, but has a unique feel to it over others I've noodled with. Multiple different ways to play, being a passive fisher/cooker/blacksmith and earning tons of cash wasn't an uncommon thing to see. Some just play to breed horses all day long and ride around looking at the scenery, also had those who just made a pretty home and junk. Then there's people who did the whole grind thing, quests & pvp/guild war act - it tended to all different playstyles and was always so thrilling! I'd still be playing if I knew I wouldn't go into no-lifer mode on it again. Would recommend 100%! 

/plus it's SO pretty graphic-wise 😍

I can't believe you didn't mention the 3D sculpting program ridiculous character creator in this game. That's like...the best fucking part.

9 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

I can't believe you didn't mention the 3D sculpting program ridiculous character creator in this game. That's like...the best fucking part.

Way to spoil!

Before the game even came out they had released a program just of their character customization window. So freakin' sad that after launch they took it down before I managed to get a hold of it. Easy way to blow through a few hours. 

10 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Jesus, sounds like working another job.

Go to China and it is real thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_farming

I even heard past a friend of mine fucking brag how he made 10€ on a good day by selling items in World of Warcraft (IIRC), rather than focus on his studies. By the way, I am willing to bet that most days weren't that good days

16 hours ago, Moogle said:

Way to spoil!

Before the game even came out they had released a program just of their character customization window. So freakin' sad that after launch they took it down before I managed to get a hold of it. Easy way to blow through a few hours. 

You can change individual STRANDS OF HAAAAAAAIIIIIIRRRRR!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, Snagged said:

Go to China and it is real thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_farming

I even heard past a friend of mine fucking brag how he made 10€ on a good day by selling items in World of Warcraft (IIRC), rather than focus on his studies. By the way, I am willing to bet that most days weren't that good days

I've heard of farming items, though I'm not surprised it pays so low. I suppose it can work if you live in China in a tiny room full of other people.

6 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

I've heard of farming items, though I'm not surprised it pays so low. I suppose it can work if you live in China in a tiny room full of other people.

Most of the gold sellers in China are prisoners who are paid next to nothing, or nothing at all if another player happens to find them and camp them for 2+ hours. 

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Most of the gold sellers in China are prisoners who are paid next to nothing, or nothing at all if another player happens to find them and camp them for 2+ hours. 

That was somewhat illuminating, and an indication of just how bizarre western and eastern societies have become.

Also who the hell camps someone for 2 hours.

On 6/25/2017 at 1:55 PM, WileyWarWeasel said:

That was somewhat illuminating, and an indication of just how bizarre western and eastern societies have become.

Also who the hell camps someone for 2 hours.

You'd be surprised, especially when it comes to Gold farmers/spammers.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been a major MMO player since the mid 2000s, and I can tell you this is nothing new.

i started to get into MMOs back when they popped out a new one every week, and I've dipped my hand into a lot of em,  and you know what? there where only a few that weren't complete garbage. and they are at their core, the same game with a different skin.  usually the only difference would be that one game would have a small slightly unique feature that had minimal impact on actual game play.  perfect world was all like "woah! look at our customization! and we got flying!"  but it was still a generic Asian MMO. another tab targeting skillbar grindfest.

Nowadays they are just replacing the hardcore tab targeting that had massive skillbar management that was popular in the early days of MMO with the new soft tab targeting mild action gameplay, where you usually only have 1 skill bar with just a few skills that you actually get to aim in a direction, instead of you're character aiming for you.  throw in a cheesy dodge mechanic every once in a while, just another skill.  GW2 is a good example of this kind of game play.

the biggest issue with MMOs is that people keep thinking that MMO and RPG are a perfectly natural match for each other,  but in reality, it's a delicate relationship that quite often fails.  An MMO needs to encourage group play to be a truly fun multiplayer experience.  If i can beat the game all by myself, then in reality it's just a shitty generic RPG.  this is why i considered EVE to be one of the greatest MMOs of all time.