So what am I supposed to do with these? o.O

AshleyAshes

I snagged six battle tested Q6600 kits today that otherwise would have been destined to the curb.  They're complete with Intel motherboard, aftermarket low profile coolers and 4x1GB of DDR2.  ...So now what do I do with them?  I wonder what the lowest wattage PSU I can get away with for these would be.

Q6600s.jpg

I have a Mac in the Box project one of those looks good for.  It's an SE/30 case that had already had the motherboard and tube removed when I found it.

Doesn't that work best with a P35 chipset?  These are a bit older, Q954 chipsets.  These things are vintage renderfarm surplus.  I was leaning towards giving away a couple to friends and putting these inside cheap mATX cases with low watt PSUs, something I can stack up in a corner but not trip any breakers.

Doesn't that work best with a P35 chipset?  These are a bit older, Q954 chipsets.  These things are vintage renderfarm surplus.  I was leaning towards giving away a couple to friends and putting these inside cheap mATX cases with low watt PSUs, something I can stack up in a corner but not trip any breakers.

In the state it's in, it'll take anything that can be hacked to fit inside the case.  (I'm also resigned to the fact that a nine-inch 4:3 display just doesn't exist.)

Use them for low-power weird or custom PCs.  Take apart a toaster for one so you can use a lame "Windows for toasters" or "Linux runs on anything" joke.  If they're not too big, or if you have a really big one, make a teddy bear PC.

In the state it's in, it'll take anything that can be hacked to fit inside the case.  (I'm also resigned to the fact that a nine-inch 4:3 display just doesn't exist.)

Use them for low-power weird or custom PCs.  Take apart a toaster for one so you can use a lame "Windows for toasters" or "Linux runs on anything" joke.  If they're not too big, or if you have a really big one, make a teddy bear PC.

With a TDP of 105w, I dunno about the 'Low Powered' Part. ^_^;;;;;;;;;

I've been thinking of building one of these into a Steam Machine, maybe just temporarily, but doing so as a project.  I'd be curious to see what I could build out of old parts and getting anything extra off the used market.  A new mATX case that lies sideways, maybe $50 in get it to 8GB of RAM, $50 on a GPU.  $175 CAD all in I'd imagine.  It'd be fun to benchmark it.  I obviously have HTPCs but they're made with some newer, more powerful guts, this would be a real 'Scrap yard Build'.

If they ain't worth much and shipping cost will exceed their value, just sell them to some friends or a hardware store. For what they're worth, it's a little extra money in your wallet.

Well, that's kinda the neat thing here. They arn't worthless in terms of computational ability.  They are quad core Intel chips at 2.4ghz each and they are complete kits.  So they can perform a range of tasks wonderfully, many kinds of low usage server, router, HTPC and stuff like that.  They're kinda hot at 105w TDP but it's not unmanagable, they have PCI-E slots for graphics cards and they can do 8GB of RAM.  They're actually 'Pretty Okay'.  But they're also just not worth a lot in cash.  You could buy these kits for not much money off the used market for probably $50-$75 CAD.  But at the same time, a current Intel Pentium could probably equal them, for one quarter the power consumption, heat production and it'd be super quiet.

I would like one. It seem a bit better that what I have.

All I can say about what I have is this: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200 + 2.20 GHz

4 Gig of Ram

Video card is 1 gig.

the rest well HD are 450 Gig and 200 g (97.7 and 135 divided)

Running Win 7