Just started driving for Uber & Lyft

Rassah

Owh, you know I would like to apologize and elaborate on my 5am-going-to-black-friday-work post ...

Hah, I just found phrasing amusing. I don't think you were in danger of being misinterpreted that severely.

Maybe I'm just crazy or I dreamed it. I would swear you and I spoke about him before.

I guess I was only really active on FAF from 2011-2013 and I'm drawing a blank. Unfortunately, I don't recall talking to you that much, but that's probably because I'm a recluse.

I think I remember seeing you or your avatar in one of my threads before Onnes. IOn FAF I started a thread to share wealth building tips, and sometimes talked about bitcoin (which is still the most awesome and world changing invention of this century :P )

And now I'm worried I have a doppelganger. Did you have a different username? I remember a few goldbugs, but no bitcoin.

And now I'm worried I have a doppelganger. Did you have a different username? I remember a few goldbugs, but no bitcoin.

I have been Rassah since 1993. Never changed my furry name since. Used it online so much, usually to separate my real identity from my online identity, that everyone started to know me as Rassah. Unfortunately, that carried over when I became famous in business circles. Note everyone in the business and financial sector knows Rassah, but doesn't know my real name, which is weird to keep having to use as a nickname, and awkward when they ask where the nickname came from (I don't usually explain that it's furry)

So, now that I've been doing this for a while, here's the results:

Week 1: $100.97 - Only drove Fri to Sun for 9 rides

Week 2: $565.15 - total of 42 rides, but I was really pushing it, including driving on weekens, to try to get the number required for the $150 bonus (not included in this total)

Week 3: $204.71 - Only drove Mon to Wed, since Thursday through the weekend I spent in Niagara Falls and Toronto. Only 17 rides, most short.

Week 4: $80.79 - Only Mon, Wed, and Fri, just 10 trips, since I had to catch up on a ton of work the other days, and pack the rest of Friday and Today.

Total for the month, for not really doing all  that much: $951.62 (not including the $150 sign up bonus)

I can easily get twice as much, if I didn't have so many days where I was too busy to do that. Going forward I expect to make more, although I'll be starting my pilot lessons probably next month, so that will cut into my available days.

Next week I'm in Aruba all week, spending my vacation at a 4 diamond resort with a private island (Renaissance Aruba Resort), and as soon as I come back, I fly out to San Diego for almost a week where I was invited to speak, and as an honorary guest am getting my hotel paid for (did someone here say I'm probably poor, or not a good person to take financial advice from?). Then there are holidays and family will be coming for dinner on various days. So I don't expect to make much. But January should be pretty good (except for half a week trip to Miami, where I'm still considering renting a Ferrari or Lamborghini for a day for $3,000, and use that to Uber people around, just because why not?)

Edited by Rassah

Speaking as someone who used to ride along as a co-pilot with a friend of mine for 50 bucks for 5 hours for three nights a week, those are not very good numbers. More or less, Uber and Lyft's good if you need a little extra spending cash without the cab company "taxation", but not as sustainable.

I drive a Prius, getting 50mpg. I get a 57.5¢ tax deduction per mile, so while not reimbursed, at least I'm not taxed on the money needed for it. If you drive enough, you also get 20% discounts on various auto maintenance places. Plus, as I mentioned, you really earn most of your money Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evening, which, having a husband who likes having me around, I can't really do.

Not saying this is a great career. But if you are desperate and have no other job, or if you just want extra cash (as I do), then it's not a bad way of doing it.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2015 at 0:16 PM, 6tails said:

For an average of $12.20 per ride.

That's not including whatever you had to spend on gas, which most likely worked out to a gallon per trip in most typical trip scenarios, so knock off about two bucks.

For a total of pretty much $10 per ride.

And you're not being reimbursed mileage.

You're getting shafted as hard as, if not harder, than pizza delivery drivers.

Yes but what is that number in bitcoins?

On 6.12.2015 at 4:26 AM, Rassah said:

[...]

But January should be pretty good (except for half a week trip to Miami, where I'm still considering renting a Ferrari or Lamborghini for a day for $3,000, and use that to Uber people around, just because why not?)

Doing that for the heck of it, or do you expect to money of of it?

• Like 1

Also, why can't Rassah ever be involved in anything not shady? From bitcoin, to pyramid schemes to now Uber. 

He's like that Armenian uncle who tries to convince you that stealing people's credit card information is okay because it creates people jobs in the identity protection business and teaches people a valuable lesson about looking over their shoulder when they use the atm. 

18 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Yes but what is that number in bitcoins?

Don't know, but with another jump in bitcoin price, I just made another $24,000 today. Used to be funny that people thought Bitcoin was worthless or shady. Now it's just stupid.

6 hours ago, Toboe said:

Doing that for the heck of it, or do you expect to money of of it?

For the heck of it off course. No way I can make $3,000 in a day driving for Uber. Problem is, when you rent a Ferrari or Lamborghini in Miami Beach, there's really not much to do with it. You can drive up and down the beach streets a few times, but that gets boring fast. You can drive and valet park it in front of some nice restaurant, which is where they usually end up, but then it's just a waste of a rental. If I use it for Lyft, I get an excuse to drive it all around town, and riders get an awesome surprise.

5 hours ago, Toshabi said:

Thats putting miles on your car too with no compensation. You're better off flipping burgers on the weekends.

By the way, where do you think "compensation" comes from? Your employer's good hearted generosity? It comes out of your own paychecks, or what would have been allotted to your pay already.

Edited by Rassah

8 minutes ago, Rassah said:

By the way, where do you think "compensation" comes from? Your employer's good hearted generosity? It comes out of your own paychecks, or what would have been allotted to your pay already.

Average Taxi Driver and Chauffeur Pay vs. Other Best Jobs. Taxi drivers and chauffeurs earned an average of $12.12 an hour, or $25,200 a year, in 2013. That's about $8,300 less than what delivery truck driverstook home ($33,490), and roughly $13,500 less than bus drivers ($38,750).

So they make, on average, the same you do. The only difference? YOU have to pay for your own gas and car expenses where they get to drive around in a company vehicle. Sooooooo yes, the company vehicle and not having to use your own mode of transportation for taxi driver work is a form of compensation that already puts you ahead of uber drivers. 

Edited by Toshabi

19 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

So they make, on average, the same you do. The only difference? YOU have to pay for your own gas and car expenses where they get to drive around in a company vehicle. Sooooooo yes, the company vehicle and not having to use your own mode of transportation for taxi driver work is a form of compensation that already puts you ahead of uber drivers. 

Yep, taxi companies are Union monopolies, so they can get away with charging crazy amounts for driving you in shitty vehicles, and treat you like shit, since you have no choice but to use them.

Or it used to be. Lyft and Uber are great for consumers, and taxis will have to compete hard, or go out if business. That also means lowering their fares, and their pay. Eventually, working for a taxi, you'll earn Uber pay, or nothing at all.

But, for me, as I mentioned again and again, this isn't a career, it's a way to make a few extra bucks. With a taxi you have to drive specific times, have certain company obligations, etc. With Uber/Lyft I drive whenever I want to during my free time. Personally I'm actually working from my car, and just driving whenever someone calls me, so I'm getting two paychecks. For you guys, if anyone wants a new Xbox or something, just drive for a week.

You just dodged my question. I guess that's your way of acknowledging that you've no counter to the point I made? You're officially making less back than these 'gweedy unions' give their workers. Additionally, you're potentially putting someone who works as a cab driver for a living out of a job, whom probably already have shitty enough lives already whom also potentially have no proper car to utilize uber like your rich boy prius? 

I'm just trying to understand what your angle in all this is other than you finding a new way to flaunt another get rich quick scheme.

Edited by Toshabi

41 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Don't know, but with another jump in bitcoin price, I just made another $24,000 today. Used to be funny that people thought Bitcoin was worthless or shady. Now it's just stupid.

If you're so rich why the fuck are you driving a cab? Something doesn't exactly add up.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 10:18 AM, Rassah said:

Plenty of money for a hotel room, but why waste it when my car is comfortable enough? Hint: this is how wealthy people do shit. Go to a very wealthy area and look around at the people living there. If you see someone in a nice outfit driving a really nice car, chances are they're poor, earning a lot but living paycheck to paycheck, with their nice clothes, car, and house actually owned by a bank. If you see someone wearing shabby clothing, maybe that looks OK but seems a bit too worn, and driving an average car, or even something really old and beat up, that's the millionaire.

50 minutes ago, Rassah said:

No way I can make $3,000 in a day driving for Uber. Problem is, when you rent a Ferrari or Lamborghini in Miami Beach, there's really not much to do with it. You can drive up and down the beach streets a few times, but that gets boring fast. You can drive and valet park it in front of some nice restaurant, which is where they usually end up, but then it's just a waste of a rental.

I just really wanted to put these two quotes next to each other.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

You just dodged my question...

Additionally, you're potentially putting someone who works as a cab driver for a living out of a job, whom probably already have shitty enough lives already whom also potentially have no the proper car to utilize uber like your rich boy prius?

You had no question marks in your post. I don't know what you're question is. I did mention that the reason I'm doing Lyft/Uber instead of a cab is because I can work whenever I want.

Competition sucks for some, but while the poor taxi drivers may be at risk of losing their job, don't forget the customers. People are now using Uber/Lyft in place of public transportation. Poor people who don't have a car themselves. I've picked up a few low to minimum wage workers to take them home or to work already. They wouldn't have been able to afford a cab. With the low price of these rides, more people are deciding to forego car ownership too, reducing congestion and global warming pollution. As for cab drivers who find themselves out of work, Uber and Lyft can help you buy or lease a car.

15 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

If you're so rich why the fuck are you driving a cab? Something doesn't exactly add up.

Read my first post again...

12 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Though, I believe it's more of the fact that Rassah simply likes to rub his status in people's faces. 

Or it could be that I have seen people here complain about not having jobs or money, and figured I'd share my experience for a way to make extra cash. In case someone needs it. You guys are the ones jumped on me saying I must be poor because I'm doing this. Should I have just lied and said that yes I'm poor?

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I just really wanted to put these two quotes next to each other.

The difference is I won't be stupid enough to actually buy that car, and it will be a one day luxury I can afford.

Edited by Rassah
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rassah said:

Or it could be that I have seen people here complain about not having jobs or money, and figured I'd share my experience for a way to make extra cash. In case someone needs it.

Rassah, you routinely use this forum to boast about lavish expenditures you make.  You have no vested interest in the people of this forum and their lower economic statuses aside from finding people for you to feel superior to.  You literally do nothing but gloat about money with the exception if when you are expressing that you believe that you are intellectually superior to others.

On a side note, you are supposed to be in fucking Aruba why in the hell are you still post here?  If I go to an anime convention across town and I disappear from the internet for three days.  Exactly how badly must Aruba and Ferraris suck, that you feel you need to invest time in checking up and engaging in conversations on this stupid forum?  Like, you are either making the entire Aruba thing up, or you are the lamest vacationer on the planet.  I'm actually not sure which of the two scenarios is sadder.

1 minute ago, Rassah said:

You had no question marks in your post. I don't know what you're question is. I did mention that the reason I'm doing Lyft/Uber instead of a cab is because I can work whenever I want.

Let me rephrase my point: You're pointing out how much better Lyft/Uber is, but at the end of the day, you're earning /less/ than your average taxi driver as well as incurring damages and wear on your personal property. If a customer vomits in your car, it's on you and your own pocketed expenses to pay for it. If you get into a car accident it goes through your insurance, which lyft/uber will only cover what your /personal/ insurance doesn't cover. As to what happens if your passenger gets injured? I couldn't find anything online and it was a complete grey area in the liability portion of the agreement.

I just don't understand where you're coming off on these unions who hold cab drivers when you yourself are working for less than them. Here's your question mark, what's your response to all of this? 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Because he likes doing it. Rich people can still enjoy doing low level shit weather it be profitable or not. There are just some things money can't buy. 

• Like 1

I'm still placing my bets on the fact that he's simply doing this to convince himself he's more well off than he is while additionally garnishing negative criticism to fulfill some sort of sick craving he has. 

Or perhaps that he'll garnish some form of follower count out of this and be looked upon as a wise financial guru? Who knows. He changes his stories way too much. He's the kingdom hearts of financial advice if you ask me. 

But as to why I still give him the satisfaction of my criticism is because I'm intrigued as to what it is that makes him think the things he thinks and how he convinced himself that what he's saying is actually something to marvel at. (Actually, I'm just killing some time between renders)

Edited by Toshabi

2 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Or perhaps that he'll garnish some form of follower count out of this and be looked upon as a wise financial guru? Who knows. He changes his stories way too much. He's the kingdom hearts of financial advice if you ask me.

Well, the forum certainly lacks any first hand accounts of him having aided anyone in making any money, so followers would be short to come by until he yields some results.

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

You have no vested interest in the people of this forum and their lower economic statuses aside from finding people for you to feel superior to.  

Fuck off and take your words out of my mouth. They taste like shit. You do literally nothing but moan about not having money. If I didn't give a shit, I wouldn't be wasting my time here. If love to have everyone be as well off as I am, but people like you, Ashley, shit on anyone who comes up with any ideas or suggestions. All you like to do is commiserate, and claim others don't care.

6 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Let me rephrase my point: You're pointing out how much better Lyft/Uber is, but at the end of the day, you're earning /less/ than your average taxi driver as well as incurring damages and wear on your personal property.

I said it's better for the consumers. The riders. I also said this isn't a career choice. Just use it to make extra money you need.

7 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

If a customer vomits in your car, it's on you and your own pocketed expenses to pay for it. If you get into a car accident it goes through your insurance, which lyft/uber will only cover what your /personal/ insurance doesn't cover. As to what happens if your passenger gets injured? I couldn't find anything online and it was a complete grey area in the liability portion of the agreement.

Completely wrong, and that's what I'm here for. If a passenger vomits in or damages your car in any way, Lyft/Uber will conver whatever it takes to restore your car to clean/new status, and pay you a bonus. If you get into an accident while in driver mode (with a passenger), Lyft/Uber insurance is in effect, not your own, and they will cover the damage. If your passenger is injured, while in driver mode, you and your passengers are covered for up to $1 million liability insurance. Hope that helps answer your concerns

10 minutes ago, 6tails said:

IRS mandatory required mileage pay. The IRS mileage reimbursement requirements are so that the employer covers costs of wear and tear and maintenance on their employee's vehicle, PLUS have extra left over for themselves.

That's still money that comes out of your pay. Your employer takes the money that you earn for him, and either gives it to you directly, or gives you whatever is left after having to pay for mandatory things. If there was no such mandatory pay, you'd be getting that money yourself.

11 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I have to admit, it's never actually posted about anything that brings him any kind of happiness or sense of fulfillment.  It's all material goods.

This, after ragging on me for bragging about how wonderful supposedly my life is? Why would I brag about that, just to piss people off and bring others who are struggling down?

P.S. just posting here while in bed in the evening after a long day, or while on the dock at the private island waiting for the boat to come get us, or while at the restaurant waiting for our order. I'm curious and easily bored. Won't be around tomorrow. Island tour and reef snorkling starts at 7am and lasts all day.

Just now, 6tails said:

"Lyft/Uber insurance is in effect, not your own, and they will cover the damage. "

I should note that while they will cover the damage, your insurance will cancel if you report it.

Because you're not in possession of a CDL to operate that vehicle for commercial purposes.

I actually remember hearing something about that a while back ago. It's another reason why I never bothered with Uber/Lyft. Insurance was the biggest grey area when it comes to that service. And everyone I've ever talked to about it either has no answer or indulges in the "ignorance is bliss" route. Or like how Rassah did, which was list off the liability policy and not the impact it has on your personal insurance. 

20 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I have to admit, it's never actually posted about anything that brings him any kind of happiness or sense of fulfillment.  It's all material goods.

Before I go, though, just for you Ash:

I am happy that I have a wonderful husband whom I've spent 16 years with. I feel a sense of pride when, while we're window shopping at boutique malls, he recognizes things like Delft porcelain, or Swiss scenery, or scents that remind him of wild grasses of Reykjavik, having taken him to places around the world (Holland, England, Switzerland, Italy, Iceland, Austria, Germany).

I am happy that I am well known and respected, and that after many years, I have built up my reputation as being one of the most honest and trusted people in my business, enough that I get asked to speak at conferences and get free trips from it, and that people can rely on me and trust me enough that I can just step into their business and take it over if it runs into trouble, including taking over control of the money that's involved.

I am happy that I am in the lead position for the leading company in Bitcoin space, with an opportunity to become the Google of global finance, a position I simply asked for after feeling I have earned it, was given without question, and had all my ideas for where to take this company accepted without question. And that I have a wonderful team of developers working with me, who are like close personal friends.

I am happy that, having financial means to, I can invest in my friend's business ideas to get them started, and can help them personally along the way, and that I have the means to bail my family or any of my friends out if they run into trouble. I'm happy that some of my friends no longer have to worry about finances or ending up on the street, because while they might still be struggling with bills, they know they have me as a safety net to fall back on.

And I'm especially happy that I can, and am, living life like a kid, doing what I want (within restraint), when I want, exploring the world, learning new things, and having practically no worries in the world. I never wanted to grow up when I was little, believing grownups are stuffy, with too stressful of lives, and no fun at all, and I accomplished that. So I'm almost always happy and positive now, eager for tomorrow.

Hope that settles that. Good night.

17 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Fuck off and take your words out of my mouth. They taste like shit. You do literally nothing but moan about not having money. If I didn't give a shit, I wouldn't be wasting my time here. If love to have everyone be as well off as I am, but people like you, Ashley, shit on anyone who comes up with any ideas or suggestions. All you like to do is commiserate, and claim others don't care.

Can't speak for much else, but that bolded bit is 100% not true.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Anyone here ever seen me moan about not having money even ONCE?  Since I 'do literally nothing' but that, surely someone can cite an example?

No you moan about other inane bullshit. I sometimes wish I could put a face (or rather shape in your case) to the  baby babble that you produce.

You know if Uber was peer to peer, bartering, I'd like it more. Fuck your security blankets and fuck anyone who helps line the pockets of fat fuck big cats. 

2 minutes ago, Conker said:

Can't speak for much else, but that bolded bit is 100% not true.

I however would fscking LOVE to talk about how I am going to get to work on the production of the reboot film of a series that I have adored since I was a child, it was my first fandom, to get my name on this film is to literally mark off the #1 slot on my bucket list... But I contractually can't talk about it till the summer release of the film. :(

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

I however would fscking LOVE to talk about how I am going to get to work on the production of the reboot film of a series that I have adored since I was a child, it was my first fandom, to get my name on this film is to literally mark off the #1 slot on my bucket list... But I contractually can't talk about it till the summer release of the film. :(

I hate you out of jealousy >_>

Y'know, I just kind of had an epiphany. Maybe Rassah is like totes richer and better than us in every single way, and maybe we the uneducated plebs of the world can only dream of living up to the great Übermensch that is some socially awkward, pasty young 20-something who shitposts on a furry forum.

I mean I won't lie to anyone, I'm poor as fuck and didn't exactly grow up in the wealthiest or most ideal family situation. But in spite of this I don't spend all my time overcompensating and never shutting up about how rich, successful and overall superior I am because I grew up with well-off parents or something. In spite of my own personal problems (and as people are probably aware of by now, there are many), I'm at the very least confident enough in myself to not have this habitual need to impress a bunch of random internet strangers who've straight up told you they hate no less than a 100 times over the course of over a year.

Seriously dude, why the fuck do still insist on making threads with the sole intent to shove your tiny dick in everyone's face? Why the fuck are you even here still? Wouldn't you be better off in like a bitcoin forum or something? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

My first day of office I saw an image for the reboot on a poster and was like 'Do we... Will we get to work on that? :O'  Squeeee.  Still waiting for it to come to us but it's a commin'!

didn't know they were rebooting Barney. 

• Zeke locked this topic